? About a couple of pistols

Help Support Ruger Forum:

george preston

Single-Sixer
I've got an oppertunity to pick up a couple of police trade ins. 1 is a S&W 5906 for $300. The other is a prison guard issued S&W .38 spl, blued with a 4" barrel for $225. I don't know the model number on the revolver. I've been told that they are both in good shape with some normal holster wear. What are y'all thoughts? I feel like it's a "too good to pass up deal". Thoughts?

bentblade

Single-Sixer
Without pictures it is hard to say but holster wear is nothing to worry about. For those prices I would probably take both.

m657

Buckeye
a widely issued standard was the S&W model 10 38 special in a variety of barrel choices: pencil/heavy/standard and various lengths.

I bought an old trade in M10 years ago that was police trade in, with the idea of project gun.

Fixed sights, it was a cosmetic ugly stick.....however, the action was a delight and the gun didn't have much wear on the bore or moving parts. I left it 'as is' and shot it for years.

$225 is a decent price but not a 'steal'.

I don't know much about the other models.

good luck

blackhawknj

Buckeye
Both probably carried much and fired little. As a Gun Guru said to me over 40 years ago "You don't shoot bluing!"

george preston

Single-Sixer
I've already pulled the trigger on it so to speak And will be picking them up a week from Monday. Another friend of mine told me the Smith & Wesson revolver for under $300 is nothing to sneeze at. My soon to be brother-in-law works for the prison system here in Florida and evidently they're upgrading all of their sidearms. He went through and got to put his name on several and he told me that the revolvers look like they had never been carried. The 5906 I'm very familiar with. I already own a 5904 which is basically the same gun. Buds gun shop is selling them for $369 so I figure this is a fair deal. For all I know the guns they are selling came out of the same lot.

Snake45

Hawkeye
I have yet to handle or shoot a full-size 9mm of any kind that I like any better than the Third Generation Smiths. I have a 5906 and my only complaint about it is it's a little heavy for the caliber. I wish I had a 5904 for carry and the 5906 for range use. But grip, feel, action, trigger pull, accuracy, sights--all are great. I'd pay three pigs for another one in a heartbeat. It's a GREAT gun that doesn't get much love anymore.

hittman

Staff member
Williams Shooters Supply has recently imported a bunch of S&W 10's from Jordan I think. Cosmetically challenged but 100% functional from the ones I've seen. They're asking $225.00 to $300.00 for them around here. You'd be hard-pressed to go wrong with one of those IF that's what your source has for sale.

george preston

Single-Sixer
No idea what model the S&W revolver is but I figure for $225 I'll take a chance. Soon to be BIL says they look "like new". I've had my 5904 since 91 or 92. Fits my hand and I shoot it OK. I've heard the 5906 is a little heavy.

On a funny note, I was hoping to do this deal off the books (meaning not let my wife know about it) but my STBBIL wants me to go with him to make sure I agree with his assessment of condition. He want to avoid any hard feelings if the guns are not up to snuff. We have to pick them up in Apopka and the only time I'm going to be down that way is on a trip with the wife and kids next weekend. I had to fess up. She milked it for a manicure and pedicure ..... Figure I got off cheap :)

Snake45

Hawkeye
george preston said:
Was just told the revolver is a model 15
If it's a 15, it's got adjustable sights and assuming it's in servicable condition, that's a great revolver!

CLAYPOOL

Single-Sixer
We have bought some of the Glocks in round 2 from Detroit and some were VERY nice. They were priced accordingly. Even the clips were stamped DP.

george preston said:
Snake, I've been told it's "like new". The prison it came out of has only been open 3 years and I guess they never got issued to anyone.

You didn't come out like I thought. You hit a home run. 15's are pretty nice. At least the ones I've played with. I know some guys that used to load up a big box of 38 special wadcutters and stand up in the back of a pick up truck, and chase rabbits around. Man is that fun. Came to a halt when the guy next to me bounced one off the end of the hood. :oops: Driver was more than a little irritated, but man we had fun back then.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
george preston said:
We have to pick them up in Apopka and the only time I'm going to be down that way is on a trip with the wife and kids next weekend. I had to fess up. She milked it for a manicure and pedicure ..... Figure I got off cheap :)

Dang George; If me and the Wizofwas had known you was in Jacksonville, we would have stopped on our way to the Gathering and banged on your front door at 1:30 or 2:00 AM on Friday morning to say "HELLO" !!
:roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

george preston

Single-Sixer
So today was the day. Picked up both of the pistols and they where as advertised. The 5906 has seen very little use. Maybe a few hundred rounds. A few small nicks on the grip but other than that a great pistol. 2 15 round mags included.

The model 15 turned out to be a model 10 but it's almost brand spanking new! Slight turn line but not another nick or blemish on it. Other than the ugly hole on the left side of the frame it a great gun.

Also was able to pick up a new, in the bag, retention holster for the model 10, 2 speed loaders, and a belt pouch for the speed loaders. Holster was $5 and the speed loaders where $2 each. Pouch was $5 also.

Got a slightly used duty holster for another $5 for the 5904 also.

I feel like I got a smoking deal! Off to the range this weekend to see how they shoot !