pardon my ignorance...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ClamSlugger

Bearcat
If there is a thread already in existence addressing this topic, I apologize for my laziness it seeking it out. That being said, I'll proceed with my issue anyway. I recently bought an SR9 and have since heard from all my friends that I made a poor choice. Seeing as how majority of them are Glock enthusiasts, I initially took their comments with a grain of salt. Over time the thought has slowly eaten away at me and has prompted me to ask the question here- Did I make a poor choice? I bought this gun for carrying/home protection purposes and with the price and information given, I felt i chose wisely.

roylt

Hunter
I have not made the SR purchase yet but from what I have read there are a lot of happy customers out there.

Glock guys can be jerks at times. I own both Ruger and Glock. Maybe I'm a jerk sometimes ?? ?

What really matters is if you like it.

When I was a kid the "guys" were chevy guys and we had one friend in the group that had a bad azz 5.0 mustang. We ragged on him so much he traded it off. That was one of the most fun cars I have driven. Peer pressure is heck at times.

dwd

Single-Sixer
just what I was going to say, Ford versus Chevy thing. Or maybe Volkswagon vs Ford, whatever.
There is nothing more wrong with an SR9 than a Glock.

rawhide64

Bearcat
The question that matters is "Do you like the SR9 and does it work for you". Remember, you paid nothing for your friends opinion and, to me, that's probably what it's worth. If you ever have to use that pistol in an emergency your friends won't be there with their Glocks. I have a P95, only gun, and that's what I train with. There are things I like about it more than a Glock and some I like less but the reasons I chose it are still valid and I depend on it. If I get a Glock 19 Gen 4 my Ruger will still be in the nightstand beside me. Good luck sorting this out.

aWoods

Single-Sixer
I like being a Glock jerk, but you only made a slightly bad decision. Actually now that you can get aftermarket mags for a reasonable price, maybe it didn't turn out so bad.

Frankly, a lot of new gun owners spend years chasing that unicorn pistol, only to find out it doesn't exist.

Yes, Ruger probably has a higher defect rate than Glock, but is your particular pistol defective? Probably not. And, you will find out after you put enough rounds through it. Which you should do anyway.

eveled

Hawkeye
Practice and shoot circles around them and they will start to think they made the wrong choice.

Nothing wrong with Glocks, but those who think they are the only choice, are the ignorant ones. Not you.

People think police carry them because they are the best, they carry them because they are the cheapest.

ClamSlugger

Bearcat
loaded round said:
Did you really want a Block?
Honeatly, I looked at all options. I figured, based on everything they say about Glocks, I would eventually choose one. But at the end of the day, the Ruger was what I wanted.

ClamSlugger

Bearcat
rawhide64 said:
The question that matters is "Do you like the SR9 and does it work for you". Remember, you paid nothing for your friends opinion and, to me, that's probably what it's worth. If you ever have to use that pistol in an emergency your friends won't be there with their Glocks. I have a P95, only gun, and that's what I train with. There are things I like about it more than a Glock and some I like less but the reasons I chose it are still valid and I depend on it. If I get a Glock 19 Gen 4 my Ruger will still be in the nightstand beside me. Good luck sorting this out.
Thank you. I pretty much feel the same way at this point.

1SG Ret

Bearcat
I have two Glocks and an SR9. The SR9 is my favorite because it just feels better to me. They are all good guns but the SR9 gets shot a lot more. All are 100% reliable.

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
my SR series pistols get shot and carried. my expensive pistols that are really no better, just more expensive, sit in the safe.
I have shot next to Glock enthusiasts and they always want to know what pistol I am using, because my SR9 is more accurate than anything they can do. I usually let them try it and they love the ergonomics as well as my trigger is way better than a stock Glock. then there is the price difference and the fact that Ruger CS is second to none.

loaded round

Hunter
I've been wondering something for a while now. If Glocks weren't so cheaply made parts wise, and so cheap, would they be as popular with the law enforcement community as they are now? I've owned 2 of them and have since got rid of them. I love my Ruger's especially my SR1911, LCP, and my new LC9s, but if I were a member of a LE agency or military, I'd carry either my Sigarms P226 (9MM) or P227 (45 ACP). When my life depends on it, I'll carry the best!

CLAYPOOL

Single-Sixer
I carry a LCP in a pants pocket. I carry a KHAR IWB. I carry a Taurus 24/7 OSS between the seats. I carry a Taurus 85 in a world war 2 gas mask bag in the front floor boards. I carry my .257 Web. mag. in the back seat. I feel I am prepared for skunk # 76. ( Hung on # 75). Come by my range. I'll show you some Concealed carry bullet holes from the classes. I will post as soon as I get that camera fixed before I fix the posts and roof. Round bales behind are ruined...! (For Cows)

modrifle3

Buckeye
I never bought a SR because of the political features...I do like the 9e though.

Mike J

Hunter
The biggest thing I dislike about the SR9 is the magazine disconnect. With that said I think you will probably be fine with one. I have shot some Glocks & like them but your choice isn't about what I or your friends like. It is about what works well for you.

ClamSlugger

Bearcat
Mike J said:
The biggest thing I dislike about the SR9 is the magazine disconnect. With that said I think you will probably be fine with one. I have shot some Glocks & like them but your choice isn't about what I or your friends like. It is about what works well for you.

The magazine disconnect can be removed fairly easily so for me it's not a biggie. I'm taking her out to the range tomorrow so I'll know for sure how I feel about it this time tomorrow.

GKC

Blackhawk
Posting a "did I make a mistake buying a Ruger" question on a Ruger forum probably won't get you a lot of "Yes you did" responses. :lol:

I've owned a number of Glocks, and I didn't care for them because I have small hands, and the only Glock that ever felt good in my hands was the 36. Even the Gen4 models weren't as comfortable to me as are Ruger and S&W polymer pistols.

Despite the hype, Glocks are NOT perfect. Since I no longer own any Glocks, I haven't been on Glock Talk for some time, but the last time I was there were plenty of members crying the blues over all the problems they were having. Seems like Glock made some tweaks to the internals, and then kept trying different combinations of extractors, ejectors, and RSAs, and the problems continued.

The main thing I like about Ruger, other than their pistols in general, is that they have one of the best customer service departments in the business. If you have a problem, Ruger will send you a shipping label, and will have the gun back to you in a short time, and almost always fixed on the first try.

aWoods

Single-Sixer
57K said:
Tell your friends to compare the structural properties of the SR9 compared to their Glocks. There is no poly frame striker-fired pistol built as strong as the SR-Series when you consider that the frame includes polymer rails so the slide is attached to the frame by the rear rails, the mid rails that are integral to the camblock and the the forward polymer rails in the frame.

Then there's the question of case-head support where all SRs regardless of caliber fully support the cartridge case-head. An even bigger deal in .40 S&W where Glock has only slightly improved. SR's have conventional rifling where Glock's use polygonal rifling. The question of safety firing cast lead bullets in a Glock are pretty much up to the owner and what safeguards are used. In the SRs, there is no issue because unlike polygonal rifling, conventional rifling completely seals around cast lead bullets.

Stock triggers on the SR9 become better than the Glock's and the parts to make it even better cost no more than those for the Glock. Ghost makes parts for both. Then there's the price! The reality is, a good number of Glock shooters are not the most experienced guys in the world and if they really understood the design mechanics of firearms, they'd probably buy the SR9 as well! :wink:

Are you kidding me?