pardon my ignorance...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

aWoods

Single-Sixer
ClamSlugger said:
Mike J said:
The biggest thing I dislike about the SR9 is the magazine disconnect. With that said I think you will probably be fine with one. I have shot some Glocks & like them but your choice isn't about what I or your friends like. It is about what works well for you.

The magazine disconnect can be removed fairly easily so for me it's not a biggie. I'm taking her out to the range tomorrow so I'll know for sure how I feel about it this time tomorrow.

Mr Clam Slugger,

Why did you remove a safety feature on your firearm? Is it because you're a bloodthirsty killer?

-some Rosie O'Donnel lawyer

PiratePast40

Single-Sixer
Not only did I remove the mag disconnect from mine, I also tore off all of the "do not remove" labels from my furniture. How's that for being wild, crazy and rebellious?

Oh crap, are those black helicopters I hear?

GKC

Blackhawk
aWoods said:
Mr Clam Slugger,

Why did you remove a safety feature on your firearm? Is it because you're a bloodthirsty killer?

-some Rosie O'Donnell lawyer

Answer:

"First and foremost, I am an American who values my 2nd Amendment rights. As such, my primary purpose in owning and carrying a handgun is self-defense, and for that reason, I want my gun to be in maximum readiness condition. The magazine safety disconnect can unintentionally render a gun inoperable at the most inopportune moment...for example, if the magazine release button is inadvertently depressed when drawing the gun or during an encounter, the gun will no longer fire, even though there is still a round in the chamber. This kind of malfunction is far more likely to occur in the real world, than is the remote chance that I would need to render the gun inoperable if it is being seized by an adversary, or that I would even be able to drop the magazine if the gun has already been seized by an adversary.

I regard the magazine disconnect as a detriment to my own safety. Removing this potentially dangerous (to me) feature has no bearing on my decision to defend myself. It will not make me more likely to use my gun in self-defense, it will not make me less aware of my situation and surroundings, and it does not make the gun less safe to operate in an encounter. Therefore, the one and only reason that I made the reasoned decision to remove the magazine disconnect feature was for my safety."

ClamSlugger

Bearcat
GKC said:
aWoods said:
Mr Clam Slugger,

-some Rosie O'Donnell lawyer

Answer:

"First and foremost, I am an American who values my 2nd Amendment rights. As such, my primary purpose in owning and carrying a handgun is self-defense, and for that reason, I want my gun to be in maximum readiness condition. The magazine safety disconnect can unintentionally render a gun inoperable at the most inopportune moment...for example, if the magazine release button is inadvertently depressed when drawing the gun or during an encounter, the gun will no longer fire, even though there is still a round in the chamber. This kind of malfunction is far more likely to occur in the real world, than is the remote chance that I would need to render the gun inoperable if it is being seized by an adversary, or that I would even be able to drop the magazine if the gun has already been seized by an adversary.

I regard the magazine disconnect as a detriment to my own safety. Removing this potentially dangerous (to me) feature has no bearing on my decision to defend myself. It will not make me more likely to use my gun in self-defense, it will not make me less aware of my situation and surroundings, and it does not make the gun less safe to operate in an encounter. Therefore, the one and only reason that I made the reasoned decision to remove the magazine disconnect feature was for my safety."

I love both of these posts! I uh *ahem* didn't remove any safe features from my firearm * ahem ahem*

Took the little lady out to the range and put 150 rounds through here and I gotta admit, I'm in love. All doubt has been kicked out and I am happy with my decision!

modrifle3

Buckeye
I find it funny that a magazine disconnect is called a safety feature. It's a security feature and serves no real purpose. I never met a "real cop" that valued them.

Majored in IT/computer sciences. Minored in CJ (criminal justice) it's a LE degree geared towards cyber forensics and cyber crimes investigation. I have worked with "real cops". Most couldn't give a $#!T less about the gun in their holster. We have too much other stuff to worry about.

loaded round

Hunter
Not all cops in my opinion. We have quite a few police officers in my area that shoot competitively and have serious interest in firearms and accessories. Matter of fact in the past several years I've taught 3 officers how to reload to get more practice time.

DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
modrifle3 said:
I find it funny that a magazine disconnect is called a safety feature. It's a security feature and serves no real purpose. I never met a "real cop" that valued them.

Agree, most could care less.

modrifle3

Buckeye
57K said:
aWoods said:
Are you kidding me?

Only if you don't know how to remove a slide and evaluate the internals. Obviously you don't handload and a good number of those that do for Glocks end up buying an aftermarket, conventionally rifled barrel to be able to shoot cast lead without issue. :wink:

I agree with the barrel . . . why Glock uses only max chamber specs is not a mystery, but very frustrating in some calibers. I think Glock needs to start selling a match barrel as I don't think aftermarket barrels are to the same quality. My KKM barrel was a big let down. It was so big it hit the trigger bar enough to peen it. As well as the slide. An no this wasn't a "I should of had it fit by a gunsmith issue"

exavid

Hunter
Ghost makes trigger bars for both Glock and the Ruger SRs. I put one of their 'Rocket' bars in my SR9. It was a bit time consuming because the model I installed needs to be individually honed down for each pistol, not a drop in like the other models. The new bar made my SR9 a great pistol, clean, smooth with a sharp non creep break.
As for Glocks, do a search on "Glock kabooms". If you reload like I do and use led cast bullets for range fodder you either need a aftermarket barrel for your Glock or serious cleaning or inspection of the barrel after every few shots to make sure the polygonal barrel isn't lead fouled. When you get down to it the SRs are slightly restyled Glocks with round barrels anyway.

Northcoastman

Bearcat
ClamSlugger said:
If there is a thread already in existence addressing this topic, I apologize for my laziness it seeking it out. That being said, I'll proceed with my issue anyway. I recently bought an SR9 and have since heard from all my friends that I made a poor choice. Seeing as how majority of them are Glock enthusiasts, I initially took their comments with a grain of salt. Over time the thought has slowly eaten away at me and has prompted me to ask the question here- Did I make a poor choice? I bought this gun for carrying/home protection purposes and with the price and information given, I felt i chose wisely.
Last year I bought a SR9c in "all black" finish. I liked the gun so much I bought another one in stainless. Don't worry, you did good.

dakota1911

Buckeye
You can always tell them if they love Glocks so much then why don't they just move to Austria.

I own a Glock. It is 100% dependable and simple to operate and maintain. It is as accurate as I am, likely much more.

That said, if I were in need (want?) of another 9mm I would consider the Ruger.

Your gun, your money. Don't be concerned about fanbois' opinions.

:)

PS Fanbois come in all flavors . . . just depends which website you are visiting. :wink: :lol: :wink:

PebblePimp

Bearcat
I own both an SR9 & a G17. Both great guns. I got the Glock because, well... It's a Glock. It's going to go bang. My SR9, doesn't like cheap plinking ammo. Most of what I've heard, this is rare & mostly with 1st year production. That's what I've noticed over the years. The SR9 is much nicer to shoot, though. I'm not worried, at all, to use it for defensive purposes.

guidedfishing

Single-Sixer
Well to be honest if you post this question on the Ruger forum you would not expect folks to tell you that you made a poor choice? (You didn't) Now you would get an entirely different reaction on the Glock page, and another reaction on the Smith&Wesson page. So take any answer you get from anyone on any site with a grain of salt...

I own a SR9, its a rugged and has stood up well. at approximately 6000 rds the small plastic cap that retains the striker spring cracked and basically fell apart. Ruger sent me a new one without question and I order a second from numerich just to have on hand. Keep in mind this is not my main pistol, I typically shoot smith and wesson M&P 9L pro series, both the ported CORE and non ported versions. These typically avg about 1000rds a month each. At one point I had a Glock 17 gen 3, that particular pistol was a train wreck and soured me permanently on Glocks, that being said they are popular and receive a high level of service despite their simplicity, there are a lot of Glock armors because their are a lot of Glocks.

As much as I like the SR series, the ergonomics of the M&P series is simply number one, the pro series come with an upgraded trigger and many still put an APEX kit in their M&P's as that seems to be a short coming for some. The Glock gen 4's have a small improvement in ergonomic's. Bottom line I no longer compare striker fired pistols to Glocks, I compare them to Ruger SR's, Smith&Wesson M&P's, and SpringField XDM's.

You did fine for the price point, features, and reliability of a Ruger SR9. what ever you own, learn to shoot it. Rarely is it the pistol you own but the person behind the trigger regardless of the make.

Good luck

talon1961

Bearcat
I bought the SR40C and absolutely love it. I also have a XDM 40 Compact. The SR40C has quickly become my favorite between the 2. The Ruger has a much better trigger and for some reason, a little less felt recoil. I have only put 200 rounds through the SR40C so far, but no FTF or FTE's at all and I shot American Eagle and Winchester White Box JHP's. My groups at 7 yads and at 12 yards are awesome, compared to how I usually shoot. I like the gun so much that I've convinced my daughter to get the SR9C for her carry gun. She shot my .40 and it fit her well, but likes the less recoil of the 9. If she doesn't like it, I will buy it from her.

modrifle3

Buckeye
haymaker said:
The SR will always be better than a Glock because the SR has a manual safety.

This may be a feature that better suits you, but the design and location has proven problematic.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
If your gun shoots well for you, then you did fine. Recently, had night sights installed on three of my Glock pistols. There are some great things about Glock firearms, but they are not perfect. There have been problems with Gen 4 Glocks and my Glock Armorer told me to avoid them and buy a Gen 3. I like the SR with it's brilliant thumb safety styled after the CZ-82 thumb safety. The real advantage of that thumb safety is during gun handling, most notably during holstering the pistol. During the IDPA matches, contestants sometimes get articles of clothing that try to jump in the holster with the gun during holstering after a participant has shot his part of the match. Fortunately, range officers are there to help shooters and IDPA protocol requires clearing of the weapon following shooting. LEO in our local PD was not so lucky when he holstered his Glock in an IWB Blade Tech holster. His jacket string bobble jumped in the holster just in front of the trigger. When he when to adjust his jacket while seated in the car, he pulled the jacket, string, bobble and trigger and demonstrated that Glocks go bang every time you pull the trigger. Photos of this little mishap are now part of the training program. This would not have happened with an SR with the thumb safety on or an XD pistol with grip safety. Glock is safe, just requires extra awareness and care during holstering. Note too that Glock is a two stage trigger with nice take up and then a 5.5# trigger pull. After over 20 years of use, I really like Glock and find it to be safe and reliable, but there are other good systems too. I think you can be proud of your SR pistol and pleased with the safety features.