P89 take down pin issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rugerguy211

Single-Sixer
I cleaned my P89 last night, and for the first time, the take down pin was VERY difficult to push out.
Following SOP, the mag was removed, slide locked open, extractor pushed fully forward/down.
Released the slide to line up the take down groove, and tried to push the take down pin from the right side.
It would not budge. Several tries later, it finally came out. I noticed a small wear spot on the pin, and am wondering if this may be the issue.
I would have taken a picture, but could not get it apart again after reassembly. :-(
I'll try again tonight, and post a pic if I can get one.
Based on serial number this P89 was built in 1993. Bought used around 2001, and if a gun smith can really tell anything from appearance, did not have 10's of thousands of rounds through it. I've put maybe 2500 rounds through it since then.
The gun functions perfectly, except for this take down pin issue.
Any thoughts, or anyone with similar experience?
thanks in advance,
dennis

roylt

Hunter
Hi Dennis,
I have had some pins stick because of old "oil" that had got real hard. Also I have had some that the link the pin goes thru and the pin fit is very close in size so it is harder to get it to pop out. If you have some sort of groove there in the pin I would suggest calling Ruger and ordering a new slide stop.

I do look forward to pictures though. I enjoy tinkering on the P-series a little.

rugerguy211

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the response. I was able to take it apart just now, to take the pictures.
It came apart as it always had, so perhaps it was just fouled with oil and gunk.
It had been sitting in the safe for a couple years before I fired it recently.

Let's see if I can get the links to work.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dfx6y739bh0i47j/grooves_1.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d2bvrrzm4c9d6gj/grooves_2.jpg?dl=0

Now I'm curious if these little grooves on the right side of the pix are normal wear, or if I need to replace that take-down pin.
thanks again,
dennis

roylt

Hunter
Looks normal for a gun that has been shot a lot. All mine are used but typically not that used. If it functions as it should I wouldn't worry about it.

Note to all:
See guys. We need not let are gun rest so long but shoot them as Mr. Ruger wanted us to. (of course I have a couple safe queens too.)

roylt

Hunter
Maybe post a pic of the frame looking down. Also lay the barrel in the pic as well so we can see all the mating parts. Not so close this time.

Latest posts