LC9s or LCP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

5of7

Hunter
Maybe I missed something on the Ruger site, but according to their spec sheet, the LC9s is the exact same size as the LCP.

Since the 9MM LC9s is the same size as the LCP in .380, why wouldn't the LC9s kinda make the LCP obsolete?

Like I said, maybe I missed something ... 8)

Trucker

Single-Sixer
Methinks if you'll look a little closer you'll find the LC9, the LC9S, and the LC380 are all the same size. All three of those models are larger and heavier than the LCP.

As far as making the LCP obsolete goes, a pistol such as the LCP will always find a ready market. It does serve a purpose.

5of7

Hunter
Trucker said:
Methinks if you'll look a little closer you'll find the LC9, the LC9S, and the LC380 are all the same size. All three of those models are larger and heavier than the LCP.

As far as making the LCP obsolete goes, a pistol such as the LCP will always find a ready market. It does serve a purpose.

Yes, you nailed it. I did not pick up on the fact that there are 2 .380s, a LCP and a LC380.

Now I am wondering why the LC380 when you can have the same thing in a 9MM. 8)

Trucker

Single-Sixer
5of7 said:

I'm wondering if Ruger'll be coming out with an LC380S. Seems likely there'd be a ready market for it if they did. Not that I'd personally want one, but I suspect it'd sell pretty well.

modrifle3

Buckeye
5of7 said:
Maybe I missed something on the Ruger site, but according to their spec sheet, the LC9s is the exact same size as the LCP.

Since the 9MM LC9s is the same size as the LCP in .380, why wouldn't the LC9s kinda make the LCP obsolete?

Like I said, maybe I missed something ... 8)

LCP is much smaller than either LC9.

modrifle3

Buckeye
5of7 said:
Trucker said:

Yes, you nailed it. I did not pick up on the fact that there are 2 .380s, a LCP and a LC380.

I care nothing about a .380 but they recoil like a .22 .... Very pleasing to shoot.

Trucker

Single-Sixer
modrifle3 said:
I care nothing about a .380 but they recoil like a .22 .... Very pleasing to shoot.

The "recoil lie a .22" and the "pleasing" part doesn't apply to the LCP for most folks. :)

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I have a S&W BG380 that was my daily carry, very comfortable. I use to have the LC9, hated the trigger and the LCI on it sold it. I purchased the new LC9S and have been caring it everyday since. I think the BG380 may have to find another home, don't need it anymore. When I bought my LC9S the salesman said that Ruger tried to get him to buy the LC9 at a very discounted price. He said no thanks, Ruger will quit making the LC9 I would imagine. The LC9S just blows it away. Finally the perfect carry gun, great trigger and no LCI. I think Ruger is finally listening to what the customer really wants.

modrifle3

Buckeye
Trucker said:
modrifle3 said:

The "recoil lie a .22" and the "pleasing" part doesn't apply to the LCP for most folks. :)

This was shooting a p238 . . . a bit to small for my hands but a wonderful handgun. I have never shot a LCP, but did spend sometime today with the LC9s . . . very nice gun, very well built. Looks like Ruger is starting to put quality first again. Odd thing was this one had the old style RSA. It was only $350 at the LGS so I am thinking about throwing it on layaway.

groberts

Single-Sixer
5of7 said:
Trucker said:

That's because so many people keep calling the LCP an LCP380 - yes it's a 380 but it's name is LCP.

5of7 said:
So that people like me would stop buying the Bersa Thunder 380 :lol: I was glad the LC380 came out when I bought my second gun so my wife and I could have different models.
It's for felt recoil - the LCP snaps just as hard as an LC9 whereas the LC380 has about half the felt recoil. And that translates into second shot accuracy.

Trucker

Single-Sixer
modrifle3 said:
This was shooting a p238 . . . a bit to small for my hands but a wonderful handgun.

Personally I never cared for SA only. Not saying their not quality pieces ... but the SA is a deal killer for me.

The little Sig is almost the same weight as an LC380 which would tend to tame the recoil noticeably. The LCP is only little more than half the weight of the LC380. One the most common accessories for the little beast is a grip sleeve ... helps considerably. The Hogue #18110 is especially effective in reducing the felt recoil.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
5of7 said:
Trucker said:

Several reasons for the 380 variant in the LC9 size pistol. Less recoil for those older folks sensitive to recoil. Also less recoil spring for the 380 variant makes it easier to rack the slide which is very important to those with weaker hands. Not to long ago, I met an older lady with arthritis in her hands who was looking at the Bersa Thunder 380 and the LC 380 for these reasons. The joints in her hands were swollen and looked painful, but she was cheerful and very positive about being able to defend herself. Hope she can practice a bit. A good friend, now in his early 80's complained last year that the slide on his pistol is hard to rack and this fellow is still pretty athletic have taken several cross the USA road trips on his large motorcycle.

As far as the LCP("Little Copied Pistol" from the Kel-Tech P3AT)) it weighs about 9oz and in a pocket holster will carry nicely in a pair of gym shorts. The LC9 is 17 oz and a bit big for the pocket.

exavid

Hunter
The LC380 is a larger pistol for those who're bothered by the recoil of the much smaller LCP. The LCP is a pistol that takes a lot of practice (at least for me) to become accurate with. I've fired quite a bit of ammo through mine at my gun club, all told it's had around 800 rounds through it. Still looks good, still fires just fine and I don't remember a misfire or problem with it. I have to keep at it at least once a month or so to keep accurate with the little gun but I can pretty well stay within the scoring rings of a standard 25yd target at 25yds with it.
I also have an LC9 which took a bit of practice to master its trigger but am very satisfied with the pistol. These two pistols are my most common carry guns although I also carry my SR40c from time to time.
The LCP is about the easiest pistol I've ever had for concealed carry, you could almost hide it in a pair of speedos. I like it in the summer when wearing tee shirts and shorts.