P89 or P95 ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tercel89

Single-Sixer
I have found a like new P89 and a P95. The 89 is stainless and the 95 is all blued. I hate to make one of these "what would you get and why" posts but I am really not sure which. I have had a P94 and a P89 in the past but that was 18 yrs ago .
Well here goes : Which and why ?
I just have an urge to get a good ole chunky-blocky P series Ruger again. No genreal purpose other than a fun gun . Thanks for any information and opinions.

roylt

Hunter
"Just because" is why you are looking to buy so I would push you to the 89. I like stainless and the fact you can customize with diff grips. 89 is a classic to me where to 95 is great but "new".

tercel89

Single-Sixer
I agree with you but I have heard severeal say the accuracy of the 89 is lacking verses the 95. Something about the barrels being made better in the 95 that improved accuracy .

wvjoetc

Single-Sixer
The 89 being stainless and nice I would buy it. I'm with roylt, the 89 is a classy looking shootin iron. Real nice 89's are not as common as 95's, and the 95's were discontinued late last year. I'm not going to debate if one is more accurate than the other, that's been washed inside out here. Bottom line is lay them down side by side and which one do you like the best? Good luck with your choice,

tercel89

Single-Sixer
Well thanks fellas . I'll post a pic when I get it tomorrow. Hopefully no one has snatched either one up. I think I'm gonna try for the P95 first. If it has been sold then I'll try the P89. The P95 has the rail and the textured grip so that puts it in the 2005-2013 year of production. The P89 will be a lot older. I want to try the newest one first then if I have good luck I may go back and put the other on layaway. The real thing that made me want to go back to the P-series is that I recently watch a complete detail strip of the slide and frame. It was a lot easier than I ever dreamed of . I was worried about the decocker/safety levers. I disassembled a Beretta M9/92FS one time and the amount of springs and crap was UNREAL :roll:
So wish me luck and thanks for the information.

roylt

Hunter
P-guns are easy to work on. I tinker a bit.

Not to beat a dead horse but if the 89 is that nice I would get it. You can find 95s all over. Even new still. A new 89 is hard to find and will bring a pretty penny.

Will be waiting for the pics when you get which ever.

Keep the P-guns alive!!

tercel89

Single-Sixer
Here she is ! A P95 made in 2013 for $289 out the door ! I was very happy !

dwd

Single-Sixer
I think you done good but if I were you I'd sneak back there and put that down payment on the P89, you won't be dissatisfied.

roylt

Hunter
Congrats.

I forgot to warn you the P-guns have a way of growing on you. You'll be back for the 89 I bet.

Osage

Bearcat
Tercel89:

For what its worth, which of course is nothing more than one person's biased opinion. However with a recent purchase of a pristine P89T, I now have owned both. Actually I sold the P95 because I just didn't like the look and feel. Thus far I like the P89T far better, I guess its that look and feel thing again and I can shoot it with equal or better accuracy.

So, to go buy the P89 gets my vote.

Osage

tercel89

Single-Sixer
Ok you guys talked me into it. I now am ready to get a P89 to go with my 95. The one P89 that I am looking at was made in 2005 by searching the serial number. Are there any things I need to beware of ? Or watch out for ?

roylt

Hunter
Nope. Get it! With that said if it is beat maybe pass. Ask to take it down. Comes apart just like the 95 you have. Same mags too.

tercel89

Single-Sixer
Hey I ended up getting one (P89) made in 1994. It was only shot once and is MINT ! $325 . I am happy :wink: