P89 or P95 ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tercel89

Single-Sixer
I'm having trouble attaching a picture . Anyone know how to do it without going through photobucket ?

exavid

Hunter
Now let's not be nasty about the Beretta 92. Mine's been a sweet pistol, accurate and perfectly reliable. I have a P series Ruger but it was only built for four years or so, the P345. Another very nice handgun. Works very well for me in Bullseye shooting. The earlier P series were all great guns, a bit chunky but still a lot better looking to me than the Glocks.

Al James

Hunter
Tercel89,

Looks like a pre 304-70000 KP89. Just an FYI, if you don't already know, your P89 takes the early P15 magazine instead of the P18 that your P95 takes. Congrats on your new purchase!

welder

Buckeye
Yes, congrats!

BTW, I have both a P95 and P89. I like the P89 better as it fits my hand well but enjoy the 95 and 90 and 94 too. I had a 345 but sold it to a friends wife with plans to get another one later. Haven't done that yet. Long live the P guns.

roylt

Hunter
I'm pretty sure metgar mags work in both older and newer.
I also feel a simple mod to the mag would do the trick. I have not tried it but if you just file the mag on the upper side of the hole it would inturn make the mag sit lower in the frame and allow clearance for the older style 89 upper to slide on by. and allow the ejector to have the needed clearance as well. The height isn't much different between the two mags.

It also helps I have a lot of the old all metal factory 15 round mags. I think the original factory mags were made by metgar and just not marked in anyway.

So I didn't really answer your question. No, I have not. I did put an older upper on a newer frame. took a lot of dremel work though. I posted that on here some place.

tercel89

Single-Sixer
Al James said:
Tercel89,

Looks like a pre 304-70000 KP89. Just an FYI, if you don't already know, your P89 takes the early P15 magazine instead of the P18 that your P95 takes. Congrats on your new purchase!

Thanks buddy ! I figured that out about the mags , darn it !!! I saw that when I went to a couple of shops. most said "fits serial #'s 304-7000 and above" . Well I may try some MecGar mags. Back when I was younger and had my first P89 (my first gun ever) I used MecGar and they worked great .