New sr40c barrel peening

Help Support Ruger Forum:

davidbu

Bearcat
last Saturday my wife gave me 2 hours early morning to run to the county gun show. I liked the sr40c so picked one up.. i didnt inspect it as well as i should have. Its "new".. doesnt appear to have had anything but its test factory round through it.. but on the chamber end of the barrel where the slide interacts with the barrel.. there is peening on the upper outer edge of the barrel with a nice spur. The barrel and slide fit together in a unique fashion.. when the slide comes forward it fits the barrel like a puzzle piece and the tilted barrel comes up.. but the barrel has a tiny wiggle to it.. and this motion.. when the slide comes forward.. before the barrel lifts.. it HITS and peens.. even being a new pistol i have not shot yet and had only racked the slide on a handful of times. Anyone experience this? is this gun worth my time money and effort? Can Ruger ACTUALLY fix this or is it design flaw.. trying to decide if i should just eat my losses and trade it out for something else??.. A bit unsure and pissed off to say the least :(

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Mine did this, I think most do. You can sand the spur off if it bothers you. Obviously just be sure you take only the spur of metal off and do not change any dimensions where the barrel locks. I did this if I recall correctly it took about 5 min. The spur did not redevelop. I took it off around the 500 round mark, I'm around 8000 rounds now with no problem.

A picture of it would be helpful but I've never heard of it causing any problem besides driving the owners crazy. :D

davidbu

Bearcat
ive assessed the disgn any concluded this is how this is going to be likely.. tilting the gun where the barrel shifts to one side or the other is the cause. upon careful inspection.. if the gun is completely verticle its a smooth interaction.. but tilted causes the peening.. i will probably just file the burr.. i love the gun.. i just hope it doesnt worsen

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Depends on how far ya wanna go with it but if your already messing around with it. I did this to my sr40c. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABytdWZEc-c there's 3 videos to this pt1 pt2 pt3

It cycles noticeably smoother, I'd say much smoother. I didn't take it to the mirror finish this guy did just knocked off the roughness. It would also take care of your peen mark for the most part all in the same process. Highly recommended.

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
I have ignored the very small amount of this and it has only gone so far and then no more. on all five of mine, the SR9, 9c 40, 40c and Sr45. they shoot so damn well I couldn't care less. another 160 through my 40c today and it made me look like I could shoot! maybe tomorrow I'll take the SR45 again.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
Great video! I did this to the Sig P226DAK I sold. I could see how this would be a valid fix for any peaning issues.

It really was helpful to me. I don't own a dremel so I did it by hand. I spent 4 hours and probably still didn't get nearly the amount of rotations the dremel could have produced on the steel you just can't beat that machine at 30k rotations per minute or so? Mine ended up being maybe 40% less shiny then the guy's in the video but I was still very happy with it. It didn't completely take away the peening mark but in order to see it after the polish you'd have to be looking really hard to see it.

The best part was firing it after and feeling in the cycle the increased smoothness due to the lack of friction from the textured barrel against the barrel hood.