P89 Accuracy

Help Support Ruger Forum:

revhigh

Hawkeye
No thanks ... but it would be fun to watch you try to hit a charging hog with a P89 ... :D

Make sure you take a GoPro camera.

REV

Osage

Bearcat
As previously indicated I don't use a handgun as the primary weapon, but its amazing how proficient a person can become with one knowing that in the swamp they may be the hunted.

Although I have many photos of dead hogs that I've shot over the years, but no I don't have any videos nor will there ever be any.

Osage

Osage

Bearcat
Heh guys, again I think its another landmark idea, I just wouldn't want to be the one with the camera.

Osage :p

modrifle3

Buckeye
Cheesewhiz said:
I recently posted in a thread that had some reference to a gentleman that bought an LC9 and his wife had difficulty manipulating the slide and my advice was 'if you or her felt that she needed a better gun because of this issue, buy a Boberg XR9s. It really is the easiest slide to pull back that there ever was'. It's a $1000 gun but it does allow a person with some physical issues to operate easily. That wasn't a dump on anyone nor any company, it was a true statement and possibly helpful but maybe an expensive "get a better gun" to some.

Assuming the shooter has picked an ammo this rediculious Boberg will actually function with. I have no faith in this design at ALL! For $1000 ... Please ... Get a Kimber Solo.

5of7

Hunter
modrifle3 said:
Assuming the shooter has picked an ammo this rediculious Boberg will actually function with. I have no faith in this design at ALL! For $1000 ... Please ... Get a Kimber Solo.

That is pretty much what I thought when I read the first write-up on this design.....adding parts to a mechanical device to achieve the same result seems counter-intuitive to me.

My prediction is that this design will go the way of the Dardick revolver and that other engineering abortion that launched a rocket instead of a bullet....Oh, and the caseless 22 caliber ammo for specialized rifles. 8)

If there is a clearly definable reproducible way of accurizing a Ruger P89, I am not aware of it. I have owned several and the results yielded from them were very similar to each other. None of them made the cut so they are gone. Now Ruger revolvers OTOH, are amazing. I love Ruger revolvers.

Since I enjoy a great revolver shooting experience, I feel my semiautomatic experience should be just as enjoyable. I would have the same hopes for my fellow RF family.

So back to the P89. Yes, they are reliable. But I have been unable to solve the accuracy issues, so can't help you in that dept. Their ARE guns out there in the same price range, maybe a little higher, that are just as reliable, but don't suffer the accuracy problems.

If you feel you want an enjoyable shooting experience, their are many resources you can check on to see what you might like.

For personal protection I could recommend 2 gun designs with easy to manipulate slides:
1. The Ruger LC380/9/9S
2. The Sig P238/938

May take a little hunting but great deals can be found on these.

modrifle3

Buckeye
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
If there is a clearly definable reproducible way of accurizing a Ruger P89, I am not aware of it. I have owned several and the results yielded from them were very similar to each other. None of them made the cut so they are gone. Now Ruger revolvers OTOH, are amazing. I love Ruger revolvers.

Since I enjoy a great revolver shooting experience, I feel my semiautomatic experience should be just as enjoyable. I would have the same hopes for my fellow RF family.

So back to the P89. Yes, they are reliable. But I have been unable to solve the accuracy issues, so can't help you in that dept. Their ARE guns out there in the same price range, maybe a little higher, that are just as reliable, but don't suffer the accuracy problems.

If you feel you want an enjoyable shooting experience, their are many resources you can check on to see what you might like.

For personal protection I could recommend 2 gun designs with easy to manipulate slides:
1. The Ruger LC380/9/9S
2. The Sig P238/938

May take a little hunting but great deals can be found on these.

I just picked up my G17 from layaway and the first magazine at 10 yrds put all 17 in a 2.5" group offhand with fiocchi ammo. 5 landed in the center with several punching the same hole.

I have owned several P series and NONE can do this or has done this ever. Even my P90 cannot. My G26 post better groups than any P series.

IF someone would sell barrels that could be fitted this would be the case. If I had the time I would like to see a factory barrel crowned and welded up so it could be precision fit. The barrel fit on p series is either bad or terrible. It makes them reliable as heck, but you can not get the accuracy. Revolvers by nature, much like a fixed barrel Ruger .22 never see a change in the bore axis vs line of sight. This is why these guns are very consistant and the only variable is the shooter and ammo. Assumning there is no physical flaw with the pistol.

Ruger built them to be tanks not target guns. Someone like KKM precision could build a barrel for these and make them very accurate, but how many budget minded buyers will put a $165 to $200 barrel in a gun they picked up for $200 to $300. At this point you need to buy a $500 gun.

This barrel movement is not unique to the P series. The LC9 I had you could hold the slide to keep it in battery and still wiggle the front of the barrel. We need to get past the idea when we bought a $300 gun that it peforms like a $600 or even $500 gun. It won't . . . its not in the design. This is one of the reasons Hi-Point choose a fixed barrel blow back for their design. The accuracy can be obtained in a cheap gun with out the cost and precision of a moving barrel. All Ruger had to do was use more care in the process to machine the barrel hood and the area of the slide it locks into and much of the P series accuracy issues would be fixed. The other would have been to put more care into the casting of the frame to keep the slides tighter.

Just my opinion.

Al James

Hunter
modrifle3 said:
10 yrds put all 17 in a 2.5" group offhand

I have owned several P series and NONE can do this or has done this ever. Even my P90 cannot.

Just my opinion.

I've never considered 2.5" at 10 YARDS accurate with any pistol.

I guess I will have to make a trip to the range with a few of these lousy P guns and post some 10 yd groups for you. A few years ago we had a little shooting contest here on the RF. Cant find it now but there were several shooters that were shooting 1.5" or less at 10 yards with everything from P85's to P345's. Granted those were 5 shot groups for record and not 17 round groups like your G17 "offhand".

My point is these guns are capable of much better accuracy than what you are giving them credit for. Practice is key because like I have said in the past, the factory sights and trigger are not optimal for target shooting. Perhaps YOU aren't accurate with your "several P series" that does not mean the guns wont shoot respectably. Ransom rest groups have not agreed with your results either.

modrifle3

Buckeye
I would love to see groups from 10 yards standing offhand. Full 15rd mags.

You are right, except for the p90 and p97 I can't get a p series to group tight at all.

Been shooting for 30yrs and can group with nearly every thing I have picked up but the p89 and p345. I have owned 3 of each and let friends shoot them, same result.

Well I was able to hit a smokeless tobacco can filled with Tanerite at about 50ft with a p89 a few weeks ago... that seemed pretty good to me...

but then I think MOH (minute of head) out to about 20ft is good enough for real world conditions.

revhigh

Hawkeye
modrifle3 said:

You are right, except for the p90 and p97 I can't get a p series to group tight at all.

Been shooting for 30yrs and can group with nearly every thing I have picked up but the p89 and p345. I have owned 3 of each and let friends shoot them, same result.

I
It's becoming obvious that the only people who think the P series guns' accuracy is acceptable are those that can't outshoot the gun, or don't shoot much. In my experience ... Most decent shooters can easily outshoot a P gun, which is why you see so many of these P series inaccuracy threads.

They're good, reliable, 'combat accurate' guns ... which is just fine for some shooters. For those shooters who demand above average accuracy ... there are far better choices.

It's just the nature of the beast.

REV

Al James

Hunter
revhigh said:
modrifle3 said:

I
It's becoming obvious that the only people who think the P series guns' accuracy is acceptable are those that can't outshoot the gun, or don't shoot much. In my experience ... Most decent shooters can easily outshoot a P gun, which is why you see so many of these P series inaccuracy threads.

They're good, reliable, 'combat accurate' guns ... which is just fine for some shooters. For those shooters who demand above average accuracy ... there are far better choices.

REV
Lmao! Opinions are like brains, everybody's got one.....some are just better than others.

Do you think Massad Ayoob can outshoot a P gun Rev?

http://backwoodshome.com/blogs/MassadAyoob/2008/05/31/picking-your-gun/

Last time it was P gun owners/shooters couldn't afford a better gun. Now we P gun owners can't appreciate the accuracy of a superior pistol designs because we do not possess the skills to do so. Good stuff Rev, good stuff indeed.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Al James said:
revhigh said:
modrifle3 said:

I

REV[/quogun

Lmao! Opinions are like brains, everybody's got one.....some are just better than others.

Do you think Massad Ayoob can outshoot a P gun Rev?

http://backwoodshome.com/blogs/MassadAyoob/2008/05/31/picking-your-gun/

Last time it was P gun owners/shooters couldn't afford a better gun. Now we P gun owners can't appreciate the accuracy of a superior pistol designs because we do not possess the skills to do so. Good stuff Rev, good stuff indeed.

So you finally admit it ...
Good stuff indeed !

REV

Osage

Bearcat
Forgive me fellas, back when I originally posted this thread, my P89T was very new to me and I wondered about its accuracy. However, after numerous practice sessions and reading all this "high value" input, I have made the following conclusion with certain assumptions:

With many, "too many" years of practice and experience I'm probably as capable with a handgun as I'll ever be. Therefore it seems that the terribly inaccurate P89T's like mine can for some unknown reason become more accurate each time it is shot.

After all since it can't be me, it must be the gun :roll:

O'yes, I'm keeping it!!

Osage

Al James

Hunter
Osage said:
However, after numerous practice sessions and reading all this "high value" input

O'yes, I'm keeping it!!

Osage

Thanks for the laugh, I need it today! Sorry for being part of the problem Osage. I'm glad you are loving your P89, there are thousands out there just like you. Regardless of all the smack spoken by the gun snobs and keyboard commandos that can be found here and elsewhere online in regards to any of the Ruger centerfire pistols. There is a reason they have a huge following even after being discontinued for several years. Enjoy.