Don't get the sr9 Mag Disconnect

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
I like mag disconnects. Why I'm looking at the sr9. Have the new lc9-s and the mag disconnect totally prevents the trigger from being pulled. By the videos of the sr9 show a trigger that is able to be pulled, but he striker won't actually hit the primer. Ruger also advises not to dry fire with mag out. What is the point of being able to pull the trigger at all? Why not something like the lc9?

Trucker

Single-Sixer
With the LC9 [either model] the magazine disconnect safety prevents the trigger from being pulled.

Edited to add: If you buy a used one make sure the magazine disconnect safety has not been removed. Many of us do remove them.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Different pistols use different designs and the mag safety is one of those that can be made to operate different ways The SR9 mag safety allows the trigger to be pulled and the striker to release but not hit the primer as you noted. Others like the M&P and Ruger SR22 disconnect the trigger completely. The great thing about the SR design is the ease with which it can be removed.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
Wouldn't be such a big deal if ruger didn't advise not to pull the trigger with the mag out. Why would they make it possible to do the very thing they don't want you to do?

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Because that's the way the mag disconnect works in the SR-series. As long as you know the precaution it's not a big deal. A couple of forgetful dry fires with the mag out aren't going to harm anything but a steady diet will. Of course, the way to avoid all the potential damage is to remove the mag disconnect and they made it easy.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
+1 to all the above and my only caveat about removing the mag. disconnect has been that if you live in a prosecutorially hostile state like mine, you might err on the side of "Absolutely Unaltered Factory Sold and Approved Firearm" in case you ever have to use it in the worst way. I do not know if it has ever happened, but I can very easily imagine as plausible an overzealous prosecutor using your modded gun against you ("This GUN NUT removes the safety features! Like RAMBO!") in court after you've had to use it to save your life or someone else's. Here in MA they've been known to keep off-duty police officers in prosecutorial limbo for a year after they used their licensed weapon to turn the lights out on a knife-wielding maniac who was about to murder a physician in a hospital. He shot the perp., the perp died, and then he spent a year in prosecutorial limbo before the District Attorney finally closed the case. And that was with an unmodded gun in a crystal clear Use of Deadly Force scenario.

So keep in mind where you are if you decide to do it and weigh that against your use of the gun and whether you think it's worth it. Over and out.

Taterman

Buckeye
NixieTube said:
+1 to all the above and my only caveat about removing the mag. disconnect has been that if you live in a prosecutorially hostile state like mine, you might err on the side of "Absolutely Unaltered Factory Sold and Approved Firearm" in case you ever have to use it in the worst way. I do not know if it has ever happened, but I can very easily imagine as plausible an overzealous prosecutor using your modded gun against you ("This GUN NUT removes the safety features! Like RAMBO!") in court after you've had to use it to save your life or someone else's. ..

Sad, but true.
I too live in a $%&$&^*$% %^&%&$# state (Illinois).