A really dumb semi-auto question.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Interesting video shows correct use of slide stop: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/09/robert-farago/the-rabbi-speaks-dont-use-the-slide-stop-to-release-the-slide/

exavid

Hunter
If you have a doubt about the LC9 being in battery just lift your thumb from the grip and feel the back of the slide to see if it's flush with the frame, If it is, it is. My LC9 is my daily carry and has had a lot of rounds fed through it at my club and our county range. It takes a good bit of practice to do well with these little guns. Mine has been utterly reliable which is why it's one of my primary carry guns.
I just wish it didn't have that big California "chamber loaded" flag and safety. Those and the magazine safety are not needed on the gun.

freedomcosts

Single-Sixer
Seems to me I would want that foxed- if it's not obviously going into battery, the spring must be too weak or something. I want to know for sure, just like the OP- I have a Taurus that would stop just short of battery- sent to Florida and they replaced the springs. Ruger would be glad to look at it, and correct. Don't know their turnaround time now, was really good a year or so ago.

ncvikingfan

Single-Sixer
^+1. If one has to stop, think, check to make sure a gun is fully in battery to fire if needed, I won't be carrying it. If I owned an LC9 with this issue, it would go back to Ruger. The only reason that I would purchase an LC9 would be concealed carry.

However, all guns have human input in the manufacturing process so any could fail at a time of stressful need or in just day to day target practice.

It is, however, your gun, your time, your money, your intended use, etc.

LC9Lover

Bearcat
loaded round said:
You should never ''ride the slide'' into battery. That's what the slide release is for, just use the release to drop the slide. Your pistol should lock into battery assuming you don't have bad ammo or a gunked up pistol.

I agree absolutely. I have version 1 of the LC9. I have a tight fit OWB Galco/Viridian ECR and an ECR IWB holster that is much looser than than the OWB. I have no problem being in battery in either holster. I did have an 'in-battery' problem when I tried flat nose FMJ rounds but no problem with FMJ RN.

The flaw in the 9mm Luger round is that it is tapered being narrower at the neck than at the base. That can cause FMJ FN rounds to hang up and prevent proper feed and then cause an out-of-battery situation. It is something to consider if you use FN ammo.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
ncvikingfan said:
^+1. If one has to stop, think, check to make sure a gun is fully in battery to fire if needed, I won't be carrying it. If I owned an LC9 with this issue, it would go back to Ruger. The only reason that I would purchase an LC9 would be concealed carry.

However, all guns have human input in the manufacturing process so any could fail at a time of stressful need or in just day to day target practice.

I think the OP will be just fine now that he knows how to charge his pistol with the slingshot method as described in the factory manual.

5of7

Hunter
ncvikingfan said:

On my LC9s, when it is loaded with one in the barrel and the safety is engaged, the slide will not move. So if the safety is engaged, it is in battery and it will not be pushed out of battery by a tight holster or whatever.... 8)

Rabon

Single-Sixer
I can't remember for sure but I think if you can engage the safety the slide is in battery on the LC9 and it doesn't hurt anything to press your thumb against the rear of the slide when holstering the weapon if you don't engage the safety.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Rabon said:
I can't remember for sure but I think if you can engage the safety the slide is in battery on the LC9 and it doesn't hurt anything to press your thumb against the rear of the slide when holstering the weapon if you don't engage the safety.

I developed this habit myself after carrying a G26 in a Kydex holster that wasn't exactly %100. The fit on the holster was too tight on the front end and would often move the slide ever so slightly backwards but still out of battery. Not a terrible practice to get into.

That's one disadvantage of the Kydex with leather it would eventually wear in properly.