A Really Huge OH SH-T Moment!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

e3mrk

Bearcat
After returning from the Store I removed the Magazine from My Ruger LC-9 and started to work the Slide to eject a Round and the Slide slipped and slammed Home,Thank God I have the common sense not to point a Fire Arm in Anyone's direction as the Round fired and took out My Patio Door Window.I found the Round just outside on the Deck so at least I don't have to worry about Anyone being hurt by it. After about a Hour of beating Myself up over doing such a stupid thing I found that there had been a recall due to the Pistol being able to fire if dropped with a round in the Chamber,Now I know that's not the only thing that will make it Fire. I traded it off before I found out about the recall and I am going to contact the Guy I traded to and inform Him so He wont do the same thing.
I really liked the Pistol but it's back to Revolvers for Me.

websterz

Single-Sixer
If you regularly eject a live round from your pistol you need a clearing bucket. It's nothing more than a five gallon bucket full of sand. Aim the pistol straight down into the bucket while ejecting the round. Any ND will be stopped harmlessly by the sand.

groberts

Single-Sixer
That's just the older LC9s, right? I heard that problem was solved with the newer LC9s and the LC380s. There are supposed to be two safety interlocks to prevent it, a trigger interlock and a magazine interlock.

Robes

Single-Sixer
websterz said:
If you regularly eject a live round from your pistol you need a clearing bucket. It's nothing more than a five gallon bucket full of sand. Aim the pistol straight down into the bucket while ejecting the round. Any ND will be stopped harmlessly by the sand.

Neat idea. Going to make one up tomorrow......

LaneP

Single-Sixer
With rare exception it's not possible to discharge a round merely by the action of cycling a live round into the chamber unless your firing pin assembly is defective and was jammed forward, permitting it to protrude from the bolt face and detonate a cartridge unintentionally.

If the above is the case your pistol is unsafe and should be inspected by a competent pistol mechanic to correct any existing unsafe conditions.

It's called a slamfire. When we used to be into milsurp guns a lot a while back, dad experienced a slamfire on an sks. Emptied all 10 rounds. It was scary but fortunately he had good control of the weapon.

websterz

Single-Sixer
Chinese SKS's were known for slam fire issues due to their free floating firing pins.

Robes

Single-Sixer
"Emptied all 10 rounds. It was scary but fortunately he had good control of the weapon."

I will go on the assumption it was not in the house... :shock: :mrgreen: