Ruger SR series and 9E magazine disconnect.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

stchman

Bearcat
I have been reading some threads and people on here have been complaining about the SR series and 9E magazine disconnect.

The mag disconnect is so stupid simple to remove it's as though Ruger intended for the end user to remove it. Takes less than 5 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dHXND_9-bE

Now do I wish Ruger would have NOT included a mag disconnect on the SR guns? Yes, but at least it's a snap to remove.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I actually like having one on my SR9c. It gives an extra layer of safety when clearing the weapon. Out of curiosity, I removed the disconnect, and did some dry and live firing. I couldn't tell any difference between the trigger before or after. Have not had any issues with it in 2K rounds or more.

I don't think of a mag disconnect as a necessary safety device, but neither do I see it as a liability, unless there are issues. It is an extremely simple device that seems unlikely to cause problems.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Magazine disconnects have been around for a long time. The Browning Hi-Power (P35) has had one from the beginning. Some shooters like them as a safety feature and others think of them as an unwanted interference that renders the gun inoperable if the mag is damaged or lost.

These days a lot of guns come with one because several state laws mandate them in any new gun so the manufacturers are pretty much compelled to have one. That said, Ruger has about the easiest one to remove I know of so you can have it either way.

stchman

Bearcat
Clovishound said:
I actually like having one on my SR9c. It gives an extra layer of safety when clearing the weapon. Out of curiosity, I removed the disconnect, and did some dry and live firing. I couldn't tell any difference between the trigger before or after. Have not had any issues with it in 2K rounds or more.

I don't think of a mag disconnect as a necessary safety device, but neither do I see it as a liability, unless there are issues. It is an extremely simple device that seems unlikely to cause problems.

You won't notice ANY difference on the trigger. The mag disconnect simply blocks the striker. You can dry fire the SR and 9E, but a mag must be inserted if the mag disconnect is still in the gun.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Well, I had heard lots of people say the trigger improved when they removed theirs. I was skeptical, but it was easy enough to discover for myself.

Ruger Nut10

Single-Sixer
Both of my SR's had better feeling triggers when the disconnect was removed and a friend of mine removed his and said the same thing.
In "IDPA" type matches at the end of your run you have to empty your gun and show clear then pull the trigger on an empty gun so the disconnect had to go or face damage down the road, so mine are sitting in the Factory Box for future use in case I need to return the gun to the factory or sell it.