Thunderbolt ammo totally plugged my barrel today

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ghh3rd

Bearcat
I have had great success with my SR22, and never had a failure to feed problem in about 1,000 rounds. Today was much different.

I started off with a very clean barrel, and the first magazine seemed fine, although I was surprised that accuracy was poor. I had a jam about half way through the second magazine, stripped the offending round and got one in chamber and it fired another couple, and jammed again. After a couple of more rounds, it was totally non functional.

I ensured that the barrel was tight and swapped magazines to no avail. I didn't think to look down the barrel until now.

Holy crap!!! In 40 years I have had never had much more than a smear of lead in a barrel. This thing is so plugged up that I can't get a patch through it. I was barely able to get a brush half way through it when it got stuck, permanently it seemed, but was finally able to get it through. I won't be trying that again with that much lead in the barrel!

The offending ammo was one I haven't tried before -- Remington Thunderbolt. I was so glad when I bought it, but not so happy now.

Randy

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
I must be one of those lucky few X2. 2 bricks of Thunderbolts and Two SR22s, ate them Thunderbolts right up. Lightning does strike twice in a good way :lol: ........................................

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
I have 2 bricks of Thunderbolts in my .22 ammo cache. I bought these about 20 years ago. In fact, the price sticker is still on the box, $7.99 (brick). These weren't too bad in my 10/22 (Federal's are more accurate), and weren't very good in my Mark II. But I have an old Stevens Model 55 that was my granddad's and it shoots them very well.

Otherwise, I'm not a big fan of Remington RF ammo as I was when I was a kid.

timboy

Bearcat
I wouldn't use thunderbolts to fill a hole in my back yard they are the dirtiest .22 rounds I have ever encountered.

flyfishny

Bearcat
Sorry for your experience with the Remington ammo. But, thanks for the heads-up for those of us who have some but haven't shot it yet.

louchia

Single-Sixer
I used Rem Thunderbolt once, never again. It' hard that Remington puts their name on such crap. Some ammo is dirty but Thnderbolt is beyond that. I too got the bore brush stuck. At least an hour to ease it out to avoid a chance of damage. Also could mot get a patch through.
I use other Rem ammo, 22lr Golden and 9mm and am very happy with it.

Warning to all. DO NOT buy or use it.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Many of us here are not surprised. We've had it happen to us, hence terms like "Thunderturds" on this and other boards. :wink:

timboy said:
I wouldn't use thunderbolts to fill a hole in my back yard they are the dirtiest .22 rounds I have ever encountered.
Believe it or not, I've seen worse--some Argentine-made stuff called Concorde, back in the '80s. But the Thunderturds have second worst solidly nailed down.

timboy

Bearcat
I had to laugh when I went ammo shopping at Dicks sporting goods a few months ago and they were selling a Remington combo pack,it contained thunderbolts,a bottle of remoil and other cleaning supplies.

IlikeIke

Bearcat
My 22 Witness conversion kit on my Witness small frame 9mm shoots Thunderbolt just fine, it's just not that accurate. But no dirtier than other cheap 22 ammo.

Brian48

Bearcat
Thunderbolts have been crap for the 30 years I've been shooting. I would imagine they were crap even going back further. Guaranteed to lead up my barrel after a box or two.

I avoided Tbolts even during the shortages.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
+7 or 8. It's not good ammo. I have no idea what the quality control is but the price point hints: "None. You pays your money you takes your chances."

It's Escape from New York Ammo, stuff that'll be left over when The Duke is running the show and you're Snake Plisskin. Except there will be no Adrienne Barbeau, just a lot of bore cleaning. Not a pretty picture.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_2/408766_Is_remington_thunderbolt__22lr_ammo_really_this_bad_.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-LDW7tWwAI

Having said that, it's probably safe to shoot and you can get at least 20 or 30 good rounds out of a box of 50. Until you can't anymore. You're just going to work harder.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
This is an old video on Youtube but it sums up what Remington Thunderbolt can do to a good pistol. The guy is a little upset and maybe strangely effected by that but the video shows how bad it can be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjbsuJhr_zE

Greekshooter

Bearcat
It screwed up the barrel in my MKII target.

Cleaning rod got stuck in the barrel trying to clean it out. Had to send to Ruger. They replaced the pistol at a cost...I'll never use that ammo again!

5of7

Hunter
I have used Thunderbolts for years and never found a problem with it.

I suspect that the problem is more with the gun(s) (rough bores and chambers) than the ammo. 8)

Snake45

Hawkeye
5of7 said:
I have used Thunderbolts for years and never found a problem with it.

I suspect that the problem is more with the gun(s) (rough bores and chambers) than the ammo. 8)
I really doubt that. People don't seem to have this kind of problem with any other ammo (except that Concorde stuff I mentioned).

The problem might be with certain lots of Thunderturd not being lubed, or not getting enough lube. Maybe you (and many others) have just been lucky so far, and I (and many others) hit a badly lubed lot first time out, or early on. Whatever the problem is, I'll never buy any more of that junk.

If I'm not mistaken, it's made in Mexico.

OldNavy

Single-Sixer
I had the same problem back in the seventies with some lead Federal .22 LR ammo. I wouldn't shoot the Thunderbolt ammo if I could get it for free.
My .22 LR ammo of choice is the standard Remington plated hollowpoints. They are clean and give excellent results in all of my .22 LR firearms.

RedLabel

Single-Sixer
I've got a brick of it I got in a trade a long time ago. Never used it. Still sealed. Wonder if I could trade it at the next gun show!

Latest posts