SR9c for competition

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Just found out LGS/range has a combat shoot twice a month. I suppose it's an IDPA lite. They have a variety of targets and distances. You shoot 30 rounds. It's timed and you get points/points off for accuracy. I'm more accurate with my Smith model 10, but 4 reloads with a speed loader would kill my times. I only have the 10 and 16 round mags that came with the weapon, so I'll need to pick up another 16 round mag.

I need to do some double tap rapid target acquisition practice. I can't make the next competition, but plan on being there the first of Oct. It's supposed to be a very low key competition. It's more on the order of having fun, and skill improvement.

Sounds like a lot of fun to me.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
The high capacity mags for the SR9/9c are 17 rounds and you can get extra "sleeves" for them directly from Ruger. The 17 rd mags themselves are available from many suppliers including CDNN at pretty good prices.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Yep, 17. Duh

Our LGS has Ruger brand cheaper than Ruger.com. I'll just pick up one and the sleeve from them when my daughter and I go to the range this week. I probably ought to wrap some electrical tape around the mag under the sleeve so it stays put.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Sorry, the 4 reloads with speed loaders would be a time killer.

I suppose it would be fine if I were competing head to head with other revolvers.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
At the agency I used to work for the coppers had an annual shooting competition. I once asked if I could participate with my S&W 10-5 and Marlin 1894. They weren't amused, and made it quite clear that myself and my early twentieth century duty weapons were persona non grata.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I suppose I will have to remove the mag disconnect. They make you pull the trigger after dropping the mag to make sure there is nothing in the chamber. I know a few dry fires with the mag out won't hurt, but I would feel better about it with the "horseshoe" in the range bag.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Just got back from the range. I tried my hand at some double tap rapid target acquisition drills. Not as bad as I feared, or as good as I hoped. I need to run some ammo through the gun with these drills over the next few weeks. Man you can go through some rounds in a hurry doing that. I need to find that happy medium between accuracy and speed.

Ruger Nut10

Single-Sixer
SR9c is a perfect little gun for competition such as IDPA where you are limited to 10 rounds. I use mine all the time. I'm usually in the middle of the pack as far as scoring, but it has nothing to do with my gun.

P.S.
Take the mag disconnect out. The trigger is better anyway. Then no worrys of harming your gun in the long run.

8th SPS USAF

Bearcat
Several of us used to shoot compact guns in reg IDPA Matches. IDPA is for CCW/Carry weapons. I do not understand why they allow full size pistols when Revs are limited to 4" bbl. Back to your question: We shot Glk 26/27, MP9/40"c", etc. I never shot SR9c, but I think you will do fine, and if it is your CCW/Carry, better practice and training Good luck

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Good luck with the SR9c in IDPA. Your carrying the flag for all of us . . . try not to screw it up. :D jk. But seriously I can't help but feel a bit of pride it's being represented out there.

PiratePast40

Single-Sixer
The SR9c will be just fine. I shot mine in USPA production for awhile while getting started. Practice reloads and dry fire over and over again, and then do it some more. As far as "double tap", head on over to the Brian Enos forum and absorb some of the knowledge available there. Most find out that the term is really a misnomer.

With the SR9c, and the normal capacity (17 round) magazine, you'll soon learn about palm placement during reloads with the mag extension in place :lol:.

I want an SR9c but personally I would use something a little bigger for competition. I'm pretty sure you get a handy cap when using a revolver... I'd be willing to bet Contender is going to set up a somewhat informal shoot like this in two weeks at the East Coast Gathering..... great way to get a feel for one of these.

kc5tty

Bearcat
I've shot my SR9C in IDPA and IPSC. Actually seemed to do better than with my SR9. It may be the balance or the improved trigger.

Either way, I loved it and will do it again. I use the SR9C with a GHOST Ultimate kit and a small leather (cheap) holster. Not really in competition with the others...I usually come out middle of the pack.

Have fun. They are good guns. Anyone tries to diss you for not shooting a Glock/HK/whatever just smile and shoot better.

Steve in OK

Ruger Nut10

Single-Sixer
In IDPA there is no advantage to a larger gun like the 17 rd SR9 since you are limited to 10 rds in the mag. I have 4 mag$ and that is plenty for the game.