The new LC9S

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mrasgt

Bearcat
Hello everyone.

I was one of the first people around to buy a
LC9. I liked everything about it and in time got used to the trigger.

I just recently traded the LC9 for the new LC9S. There have been folks wonder about the value of their old LC9's now the 9S is out.

While I don't think I got hosed, I was a bit surprised at how little I got for the LC9 in trade. So..keep that in mind if your thinking of trading. You might want to sell
it outright instead of trading. I did notice that my LGS had several used LC9's in the counter.

I picked up the new LC9S and there was a very small different feeling to it. Of course, the LCI was gone. Then I dried fired it.

The difference between the two triggers were incredible to say the least.

I've put three different types of 115 grain shells through it and I am now up to around 250 rounds.

There were no malfunctions at all.

The trigger is excellent. What a difference in pull, reset and accuracy.

My LC9S was listed at my LGS for 369.00 before taxes. A good price I thought.

I just wanted everyone know how happy I am now that I made the change to the LC9S.

Sarge

Trucker

Single-Sixer
steveodtw said:
Just curious, Sarge. How would you compare/describe the ease of racking the slide on the LC9S compared to the LC9?

I'm not Sarge, but in my experience the slide on the LC9S is noticeably easier to rack than was my LC9. I agree with Sarge re the trigger making it much easier to shoot accurately and quickly reacquire the target with the LC9S vs the LC9. No malfunctions through 300 rounds, smooth as butter and as accurate as anyone could ever expect an out of the box personal defense pocket pistol to be. Believe me ... it hits where it's aimed!

For what it's worth I didn't take a beating at all when I traded.

Glad you made a good trade. I figured the striker had to be a lot easier to cock than the hammer.
I never went down the LCP path, got the LCR instead, which serves me very well. But this new model seems to be the best refinement of the LCP "family" yet. I may have to get one of these.

Tinman931

Single-Sixer
I may just have to wander over to the LGS and see what kind of a trade they might offer.

loaded round

Hunter
I just picked up my LC9s from my FFL dealer last night and obviously had not had a chance to clean or shoot it. However it has the nicest OAB trigger that I've seen in a pistol in a long time. Thank you Ruger!

Got mine recently and yesterday had the chance to shoot it. Love this little gun which fired 100 rounds without a hiccup. It is not much larger than my LCP but shoots so much easier and more accurately (for me). My guess is that this gun will become my everyday carry gun and replace both my LCP and S&W642 on a daily basis. I did have one issue with the gun which did not affect its shooting: sometimes the manual safety would not slide into the locked position. Not a big deal to me since I would not routinely be using this safety and I doubt that I would return it to Ruger just for this. I paid a bit more than the OP at $379 which still makes it one of the least expensive guns I have ever purchased. My first Ruger, a P97 many years ago, was selected because I wanted a 45acp and didn't have much cash to spare. I have continued to be impressed by the quality of Ruger semi-autos despite being about the least expensive on the market.

5of7

Hunter
vito said:
Got mine recently and yesterday had the chance to shoot it. Love this little gun which fired 100 rounds without a hiccup. It is not much larger than my LCP but shoots so much easier and more accurately (for me). My guess is that this gun will become my everyday carry gun and replace both my LCP and S&W642 on a daily basis.

Me too! I have carried a 442 and lately a 642 for about 13 years and since I got the LC9s, the 642 has become my bedside companion. 8)

mrasgt

Bearcat
steveodtw said:
Just curious, Sarge. How would you compare/describe the ease of racking the slide on the LC9S compared to the LC9?

The ease of racking the slide on the new LC9S is just a "tad" stiffer, but not so you would really notice it.

George

Blackhawk
mrasgt said:
Hello everyone.

I was one of the first people around to buy a
LC9. I liked everything about it and in time got used to the trigger.

I just recently traded the LC9 for the new LC9S. There have been folks wonder about the value of their old LC9's now the 9S is out.

While I don't think I got hosed, I was a bit surprised at how little I got for the LC9 in trade. So..keep that in mind if your thinking of trading. You might want to sell
it outright instead of trading. I did notice that my LGS had several used LC9's in the counter.

I picked up the new LC9S and there was a very small different feeling to it. Of course, the LCI was gone. Then I dried fired it.

The difference between the two triggers were incredible to say the least.

I've put three different types of 115 grain shells through it and I am now up to around 250 rounds.

There were no malfunctions at all.

The trigger is excellent. What a difference in pull, reset and accuracy.

My LC9S was listed at my LGS for 369.00 before taxes. A good price I thought.

I just wanted everyone know how happy I am now that I made the change to the LC9S.

Sarge

Just asking so what did you get in trade for your LC9 . As long as your happy. Your always better off to to be happy with a gun then not even if you lose some $$$.. Not a big deal. I have to try one out! Sounds great!

IlikeIke

Bearcat
I sold my wife's LC9 not long after she got it. She loved it in the LGS, but that didn't translate to the range. I didn't mind the trigger, but she never got the hang of it. I just won an auction on GB for the new LC9S. Laid it away, so won't get it for awhile, but no big deal as it's gonna be a Christmas gift for her.

contender

Ruger Guru
Miss Penny & I were looking at the LC9 for our WOT clinics. Then along comes the LC9s. My local pusher comes along & says he has one in stock. I go look at it & made the decision to buy it. I take it home & Miss Penny likes the feel. All is good so far.
I take it to the range & it shoots a little low & left, but a good grouping. I can adjust the windage, no problem. But for ME in MY hands, I found that under recoil, the trigger pinched my finger a bit. I've fired about 48 rounds so far, before I decided to stop. I'm going to get Miss Penny to shoot it & see what she feels. Maybe my fat fingers are too big for it.

rugerguy211

Single-Sixer
My story is similar ... except, I only bought the LC9 a few months ago.
I love it, and the trigger is even ok for me.
Then, today, I saw the LC9s at a lgs.
They have one of those laser training set ups, so I got the pull the trigger many times. Holy cow, what a difference!
Had to buy it. Tomorrow I hope to get to the range with it. I paid $399, which is probably higher than what many of you see it for. It seems in my area every gun is pretty much $50 below MSRP, give or take a few $$'s. No flames, please, I'm happy with the price and that's all that matters.

When I asked about trading my LC9, first thing they said was "your best bet is to try to sell it privately". Then, to illustrate the point, they showed me one they have in their case. Just like mine, with about 200 rounds through it. All paperwork, box, etc, etc. $250. They paid $125 in trade for it. They also offered to sell mine on consignment, which would net me about $200, if they sold it for $250.
For $125, and maybe even for $200, I'll just keep it. After all, it's not that I dislike the gun. I just think I may like it's brother a bit more. :)

Buckhorn150

Bearcat
The wife and I went up to our local gun store and got to dry fire the 9s, what a difference .We pic it up Wednesday, $385 out the door plus $15 wisconsin hand gun background check.

rugerguy211

Single-Sixer
Fired the LC9s this morning. I like it! The trigger is quite different from the hammer fired LC9, but...it might be a little too light for me as a carry weapon until I get more used to it.
One thing I am not sold on yet is the Ruger 9 round mag. In each gun the mag occasionally drops on its on after 4 or 5 shots. That has not happened with the 7 round mags, so I have to assume there is something about the 9 rounder that causes it.

5of7

Hunter
I have been told that the striker on the LC9s is fully retracted and ready to fire by the action of either racking the slide or by firing. And that all the trigger does is release the sear.

Is this true? 8)

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
I'm thinking about getting one for my summer carry gun for next year. Current summer carry is LCP. But due to nerve damage in right arm/hand the LCP isn't as easy for me to rack the slide. I can rack the SR1911 pretty good. So I assume its the small amount of gripping surface on the LCP. Hoping the LC9s will be a bit easier.

boomer47

Bearcat
The striker on the S model is cocked by the slide going back. When ready to fire the trigger only has to work on releasing the sear and not have to pull against the striker spring to cock the striker. That is why the trigger pull on the S model is so sweet