The new LC9S

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mrbjr

Bearcat
Anyone else finding the mag release difficult. If so does it get easier with use, only had it for a couple of days....

5of7

Hunter
boomer47 said:
The striker on the S model is cocked by the slide going back. When ready to fire the trigger only has to work on releasing the sear and not have to pull against the striker spring to cock the striker. That is why the trigger pull on the S model is so sweet

OK, good to know...thanks. 8)

Anyone else finding the mag release difficult. If so does it get easier with use, only had it for a couple of days....

I noticed that too when there is ammo in the magazine. I just squeeze the magazine into the frame between thumb and 2nd finger and the button is easier to push. 8)

rugerguy211

Single-Sixer
Regarding mag release. I have a lot of trouble on both the LC9 and LC9s. The button just seems very stiff, and there is not a lot of movement, so a lot of pressure is required to depress it.

Tinman931

Single-Sixer

I noticed that too when there is ammo in the magazine. I just squeeze the magazine into the frame between thumb and 2nd finger and the button is easier to push. 8)[/quote]
Same here. Much easier to relaase when there is ammo in the mag. Not sure why.

loaded round

Hunter
Range report on my new LC9s:
I fired my new LC9s today for the first time and I have to say I was most impressed. The trigger pull was extremely smooth and very light. My first 5 shots were clustered in the black at 7 yards with crap Wolf factory ammunition. The action and trigger even seemed even smoother at the end of 50 rounds. My only complaint is the slide release is almost impossible to release with a loaded magazine, the same as my SR1911 when I first bought it. Just have to pull back on the slide to put into battery...not a biggie. Anybody interested in a ANIB LCP with a Crimson Trace Laser, my former pocket carry pistol? That DA trigger is horrible to say the least, but a great hideout gun.

chateau

Bearcat
My LC9s is only a couple of day old and I notice the magazine release is really stiff.

My only complaint is the slide release is almost impossible to release with a loaded magazine
Mine is really hard to release to the point of being impossible.

I have been told that the striker on the LC9s is fully retracted and ready to fire by the action of either racking the slide or by firing. And that all the trigger does is release the sear.
Looking at the rear of slide (unloaded gun of course) I can see what appears to be the striker being moved rearward as the trigger is pulled and then see it release. Based on this I don't think it is fully cocked.

I did not notice it when buying the pistol (was checking the trigger pull and not looking at the entire pistol) but found out almost immediately on the indoor range that my pistol was shooting quite a bit to the left. Inspection of the front sight showed it to be offset to the right and not lined up with the center of slide. The front sight was actually sticking out from the slide on the right side and I could see the top of the dovetail on slide on the left side. Before anyone points it out, I know the rear sight can be adjusted for windage with an allen wrench. I just don't like the looks of the front sight.

I field stripped the pistol at home and noticed a small roll pin holding the front sight in place. Looking at the underside of the slide directly under the front sight and it appears the roll pin hole was drilled off center at the factory. I removed this pin easily with a 1/16 punch. It is tiny to say the least and drives down and out to the underside. The front sight will then move around side to side enough to verify the roll pin hole is off center (to the right) on the slide top. I called Ruger about this and they want me to return it for repairs. Not sure how it got out of the factory to start with.

Has anyone else had this problem? I looked at another LC9s at my LGS this morning and it's front sight was lined up correctly.

jb1911

Bearcat
I don't think it's a slide release, the manual says to release the slide by pulling it back and letting go.

boomer47

Bearcat
Looking at the rear of slide (unloaded gun of course) I can see what appears to be the striker being moved rearward as the trigger is pulled and then see it release. Based on this I don't think it is fully cocked.

Mine fully cocks the striker with about a 1 inch rearward movement of the slide. The only thing I can see the trigger doing with the receiver off the frame is releasing the sear.
I finally got around to removing the mag safety and the mags now drop freely, the mag safety does drag on the mag and keeps pressure on the front of the mag that tends to hold the mag in the mag well.
After around 300 rounds my trigger seems to have settled in at a 4lb. pull and I'll have to say that this Ruger will be eating into sales for just about any other small carry type pistol.
I love mine.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Does anyone know if the Kel-Tec PF9 mags work in the LC9? I know it's an odd question but I just sold my PF9 and still have a few mags for it. If they work in the LC9 I will keep them as I may get one someday.

chateau

Bearcat
I have three or four holsters for my LC9 that work fine in my LC9s.

The one exception is my Alabama Holster. While it works great with my LC9, I can't use it with my LC9s. The fit is so tight that it takes both hands and some effort to remove the LC9s once inserted. This would seem to indicate the LC9s is slightly larger in some areas than the LC9.

Anyone else run into any other holsters that have issues with the LC9s?

chateau

Bearcat

Looked at this again and it appears I was wrong. The striker does appear to be fully cocked.

jb1911

Bearcat
chateau said:

Looked at this again and it appears I was wrong. The striker does appear to be fully cocked.
I agree.

5of7

Hunter
chateau said:
I have three or four holsters for my LC9 that work fine in my LC9s.

The one exception is my Alabama Holster. While it works great with my LC9, I can't use it with my LC9s. The fit is so tight that it takes both hands and some effort to remove the LC9s once inserted. This would seem to indicate the LC9s is slightly larger in some areas than the LC9.

Anyone else run into any other holsters that have issues with the LC9s?

Yes, I did.

When I bought the LC9s I also purchased a Fobus paddle holster #KDP-11, which was supposed to fit an LC9. It would not fit the LC9s at all.

I wound up drilling out the rivets and placed "o" rings between the two halves and used machine screws to hold the 2 halves together.

Now it is fine. 8)

On another thread I posted that the OWB holster I bought for my sr40c actually works perfectly for the LC9s. It was very tight for the sr40c, and comfortably tight and secure for the LC9s. I found that for pocket carry I could even get by using the Remora holster that I bought for my 2-inch j-frame, but I also bought the Remora for the LC9s. The new Remora I bought it noticeably bigger for the LC9s and takes a large pocket to carry this way and stay fully concealed.

gman17

Bearcat
contender said:
Miss Penny & I were looking at the LC9 for our WOT clinics. Then along comes the LC9s. My local pusher comes along & says he has one in stock. I go look at it & made the decision to buy it. I take it home & Miss Penny likes the feel. All is good so far.
I take it to the range & it shoots a little low & left, but a good grouping. I can adjust the windage, no problem. But for ME in MY hands, I found that under recoil, the trigger pinched my finger a bit. I've fired about 48 rounds so far, before I decided to stop. I'm going to get Miss Penny to shoot it & see what she feels. Maybe my fat fingers are too big for it.

Shot my LC9s today for the first time......damn right I got pinched. The curve of the trigger lends itself to get your finger in a position that when you pull the trigger, your finger gets a good bite between the trigger and the trigger guard. I had to keep thinking to put my finger higher on the trigger to avoid this. Not something one should have to think about in a hurry.
I didn't care for my LC9 trigger, but the LC9s now has a different problem. Great gun, nice size, but I've got one of each for sale.

CoyoteHunter_

Bearcat
Please tell me what the brand name and other information about the ammo you were shooting with no problems. It must not have been the Hornady Critical Duty Luger 9mm +P 135 gr FlexLock ammo as that nose dives and won't feed properly in this LC9S Pro model.

mrasgt said:
Hello everyone.

I was one of the first people around to buy a
LC9. I liked everything about it and in time got used to the trigger.

I just recently traded the LC9 for the new LC9S. There have been folks wonder about the value of their old LC9's now the 9S is out.

While I don't think I got hosed, I was a bit surprised at how little I got for the LC9 in trade. So..keep that in mind if your thinking of trading. You might want to sell
it outright instead of trading. I did notice that my LGS had several used LC9's in the counter.

I picked up the new LC9S and there was a very small different feeling to it. Of course, the LCI was gone. Then I dried fired it.

The difference between the two triggers were incredible to say the least.

I've put three different types of 115 grain shells through it and I am now up to around 250 rounds.

There were no malfunctions at all.

The trigger is excellent. What a difference in pull, reset and accuracy.

My LC9S was listed at my LGS for 369.00 before taxes. A good price I thought.

I just wanted everyone know how happy I am now that I made the change to the LC9S.

Sarge