P89....questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Robes

Single-Sixer
I have my sights on a P-89. It is SA/DA,... Stainless,... and by all descriptions in VERY good condition. It is an online purchase. It has a lot of pictures and there is almost no wear on it. I still have a week or so before the purchase. Any pertinent questions I should ask the seller or be aware of?

roylt

Hunter
I have not found a 89 I didn't like. They all run all day. I'm sure you'll like it.

wvjoetc

Single-Sixer
Just make sure the seller will give you a three day no fire inspection, then if there is a problem you can send it back, but you'll be responsible for the return shipping. Personally I did not like to buy a gun I could not pick up and look at, but have bought a couple of Contender frames off the internet. If it has be mistreated you'll be able to tell, I'd say if the P89 is as nice as you describe you'll not have a problem.

Robes

Single-Sixer
I did check out the seller and he has VERY good reviews. I have emailed him a few times and he has responded timely. The price is a wee bit higher than most, but I would expect to pay a little more for a firearm in good condition.
There is a return policy,... so I think I am going to make the purchase. Thanx for the responses.

Osage

Bearcat
Although it doesn't help much, but as stated I too don't like to buy things I have not seen, especially firearms. Having said all that wonderment, try to learn as much as is possible about the history of the firearm and seller.

With regard to the P-series, the P89 is my overall favorite, and at present its the only Ruger I currently own. They are truly built like a tank and probably just as reliable as my old german made Walthers.

Good luck, hope it all goes well.

Osage

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I have had several online purchases and never any problem. If the seller has a good rating then I would not have any worry about it. If the price is a little high, in a couple years it won't matter because it was a good piece and not a beat up one. You will be happy you paid the little extra.
Good Luck on the bidding.

I've never had a problem with an internet sale... well the buffer on a Marlin Camp Carbine fell apart but this had been a safe queen for 10 years and so the seller did not know... he sent me a few dollars to cover the cost of a new one: $7. I think just about every gun I've bought via the internet has been through this forum and my only rule is to look at the number of post the seller has made... then go back and look at their post.... I would not buy a gun from a 'newbie'

Sounds like a deal to me. Price is not the #1 issue when buying a gun for sure.

Robes

Single-Sixer
"Sounds like a deal to me. Price is not the #1 issue when buying a gun for sure."

That's my take too. I looked at a lot of p-89's and some have been run hard and put away wet. The price on them are at the bottom of the pile. I don't mind paying a premium for a well cared for gun. In fact I would rather do that than buy one that has been run out.

I've also bought a few guns from Gun Shows too... what amazes me is how many folks can't take the time to clean the gun they are selling... at least swab out the barrel....

I was/am a P95 fan.... but the 89 is actually better in some ways... if you don't mind a little big and bulky... they are great shooting pistols with very minimum recoil... A stainless 89 decock is what I carry when walking in the woods.

The 3 P89s I have owned, never exhibited any problems with function. Mechanically they worked. The problems I ran into with them were severe though. Accuracy!

Ask the owner about accuracy.

If that's good, pull the trigger on your purchase.

revhigh

Hawkeye
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
The 3 P89s I have owned, never exhibited any problems with function. Mechanically they worked. The problems I ran into with them were severe though. Accuracy!

Ask the owner about accuracy.

If that's good, pull the trigger on your purchase.

Like he'd admit the gun wasnt accurate .... which is always the cmplaint with P series guns ... except for the P90.

Almost any other 9mm will be more accurate than a P89. Yeah they're handsome and yeah they're reliable .... but accurate ? No. The only thing worse than a P89 in the Ruger line would be a P85.

Hint .... Think CZ75 .... If you want an ergonomically perfect gun that can shoot the wings off a gnat at 50 feet.

REV

Osage

Bearcat
Robes:

Sorry to hear you missed it, but there will be a next time. Besides, the P89 is worth the wait.

Also I just checked the "www.armslist.com" web site and there are several P89's listed although I didn't see any in your state.

Osage

Robes

Single-Sixer
Verify something. If a P89 comes with 10 round magazines,.... that just means that the mags have spacers in them. A 15 round magazine will work in that gun. A P89 is a P89,.... the magazines are inter-changeable....

roylt

Hunter
If it is a real old 89 the newer mags may not fit right to function 100% but yes all 89s are able to take the 15 round mags.

rugerguy211

Single-Sixer
Serious question, because I'm seriously curious. :)
What kind of accuracy do you guys expect from a P89, or any 9mm gun?
The reason I'm asking is that I consider my self a pretty lousy shot with a pistol.
My last range visit I put 49 of 50 shots in a 5 1/2 inch group, off hand, at 35 feet, with my P89.
I put 35 of 50 in the same target at 50 feet, and all were within an 8 inch group.
So, again, what sized grouping would you expect?
Thanks in advance for any replies.
dennis

revhigh

Hawkeye
At 50 feet ... a CZ75 or Sig P226 can EASILY put 50 out of 50 inti 2 inches or better. That doesn't mean that I could .... but the gun can .... because I've done it countless times in 5 shot groups.

My P89 and P91 were by FAR the least accurate autos I've ever owned .... and I didn't own either one more than a few months. Just horrible accuracy ....

If you're looking to improve your own accuracy ... a P89 is not the gun to do that with because you'll never know if the reason was you or the gun.

If you ever get to try either of the guns I mentioned above .... you'll see what I mean.

REV