My new LC9s - and more guide rod assembly info

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Trooper Joe

Single-Sixer
Picked one up 2 days ago. Very nice. Took it from the dealer to the woods, checked to see if it had any lube on the sliding parts, and put the 1st 5 rounds into a group the size of a quarter.

The reset is just right. I actually dumped a round (a surprise discharge) on my 1st 5 rounds and still put them in a small group. So, with this smooth and light trigger, the reset is perfect for me.

I will use the safety since the trigger is so light. I got used to the safety on my first, hammer fired, LC9 I had several years ago. No problem.

Recoil rod assembly is metal. Got a new one coming, but after talking to a Ruger tech, may leave the old one in for a while. Their engineers have suggested to assemble it with the end of the coil spring pointed down (away from the barrel/ or if the slide and barrel is upside down on your bench during re-assembly, point this spring end at 12 o'clock, again, away from the barrel).

Also, the slight hang up with the original guide rod assembly, only seems to happen when manual cycling the gun. The Ruger rep I talked to and I both feel that this would not happen during live firing. Not sure about that but I am going to try to get it to stumble during live firing. So far, can not get it to malfunction.

Fed fmj ammo as well as my preferred carry round, 135 grn Hornady Critical Duty, non +P.

After only 30 flawless rounds, I picked up a spare magazine and it has become my carry gun.

What a great job Ruger!

PS:
A final note, the dealer had two Kimber Solo's in the shelf near this new Ruger. What a joke Kimber, you should be ashamed about this pricey failure. Also, for you Kahr fans, I did not have to worship at the 200 round break in alter :).

THIS NEW RUGER JUST PLAIN WORKS.

wvjoetc

Single-Sixer
TJ,
My wife bought me the LC9s for my birthday last month, not one problem after fifty down range, and very accurate for a small package. Mine is my EDC, I carried a G27 for a long time but the LC9s is much easier to carry.

5of7

Hunter
I don't understand the assembly instructions from Ruger, but I will say that since I bought an LC9s, it has become my every day carry gun.

I have carried a 642 Smith w/2-1/2" barrel for years and loved it, but this gun just carries better. 8)

planetcat

Single-Sixer
Trooper Joe said:
Picked one up 2 days ago. Very nice. Took it from the dealer to the woods, checked to see if it had any lube on the sliding parts, and put the 1st 5 rounds into a group the size of a quarter.

The reset is just right. I actually dumped a round (a surprise discharge) on my 1st 5 rounds and still put them in a small group. So, with this smooth and light trigger, the reset is perfect for me.

I will use the safety since the trigger is so light. I got used to the safety on my first, hammer fired, LC9 I had several years ago. No problem.

Recoil rod assembly is metal. Got a new one coming, but after talking to a Ruger tech, may leave the old one in for a while. Their engineers have suggested to assemble it with the end of the coil spring pointed down (away from the barrel/ or if the slide and barrel is upside down on your bench during re-assembly, point this spring end at 12 o'clock, again, away from the barrel).

Also, the slight hang up with the original guide rod assembly, only seems to happen when manual cycling the gun. The Ruger rep I talked to and I both feel that this would not happen during live firing. Not sure about that but I am going to try to get it to stumble during live firing. So far, can not get it to malfunction.

Fed fmj ammo as well as my preferred carry round, 135 grn Hornady Critical Duty, non +P.

After only 30 flawless rounds, I picked up a spare magazine and it has become my carry gun.

What a great job Ruger!

PS:
A final note, the dealer had two Kimber Solo's in the shelf near this new Ruger. What a joke Kimber, you should be ashamed about this pricey failure. Also, for you Kahr fans, I did not have to worship at the 200 round break in alter :).

THIS NEW RUGER JUST PLAIN WORKS.
What's the problem with the Solo's?

Trooper Joe

Single-Sixer
What's the problem with the Solo's?[/quote]

Most people, including myself, can't get them to work. Even after they have been out several years now, most new owners send them back 2 or 3 times to Kimber and usually sell them after that.

To bad. The first one I saw when they first came out was not for sale until the dealer got more in. I was going to write him a blank check for one.

Then I tried one at a police range and could not get it to work. Sold every Kimber I had after that.

Read some of the early posts on this thing. They are a very attractive gun but, I doubt if I would ever trust one.

planetcat

Single-Sixer
Trooper Joe said:

Most people, including myself, can't get them to work. Even after they have been out several years now, most new owners send them back 2 or 3 times to Kimber and usually sell them after that.

To bad. The first one I saw when they first came out was not for sale until the dealer got more in. I was going to write him a blank check for one.

Then I tried one at a police range and could not get it to work. Sold every Kimber I had after that.

Read some of the early posts on this thing. They are a very attractive gun but, I doubt if I would ever trust one.[/quote]
That's a bummer. My custom II has been flawless for the last 10 years or so. Too bad they can't make that 9 mm work.

Trooper Joe

Single-Sixer
Well, got back from the range today and did have a few problems. The stock guide rod assembly will definitely malfunction at times while firing. It failed to go into full battery several times while firing. You could pull the trigger, but it would not dent the primer (which is a good thing since the gun was not in full battery).

Also, had one hiccup with Hornady Critical Duty (non +P). It sort of stuck in the new magazine I just picked up. This one was made in Italy while the one that came with the gun was made in the USA.

Will definitely install the new re-designed guide rod assembly when it arrives this week. Also, will keep trying the Hornady ammo to see if it hangs up again.

Had to send my Shield back to Smith and Wesson a year ago to get it to feed this Hornady round. It does have a longer overall length than standard fmj 115 or 125 grn ammo.

The ammo is not a deal breaker since there is a lot to choose from.

Cleaned the gun and all went back together just fine. Hand cycled it many times and I could indeed get it to hang up a few times.

Still like the gun and am looking forward to getting the new recoil rod spring assembly.

loaded round

Hunter
Have a new LC9S on it's way to my (actually my local FFL Dealer) and should have Wednesday or Thursday of this week. Will give a range report after my break in period. Can't wait if 3/4 of the good things I've head about this pistol are true. :)

5of7

Hunter
Trooper Joe said:
Well, got back from the range today and did have a few problems. The stock guide rod assembly will definitely malfunction at times while firing. It failed to go into full battery several times while firing. You could pull the trigger, but it would not dent the primer (which is a good thing since the gun was not in full battery).

Also, had one hiccup with Hornady Critical Duty (non +P). It sort of stuck in the new magazine I just picked up. This one was made in Italy while the one that came with the gun was made in the USA.

Will definitely install the new re-designed guide rod assembly when it arrives this week. Also, will keep trying the Hornady ammo to see if it hangs up again.

Had to send my Shield back to Smith and Wesson a year ago to get it to feed this Hornady round. It does have a longer overall length than standard fmj 115 or 125 grn ammo.

The ammo is not a deal breaker since there is a lot to choose from.

Cleaned the gun and all went back together just fine. Hand cycled it many times and I could indeed get it to hang up a few times.

Still like the gun and am looking forward to getting the new recoil rod spring assembly.

On the ammo hanging up in the magazine. Try thumping the back side of the loaded magazine on a hard surface to settle all the cartridges to the back. I have had times when that helped with this issue. 8)

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Alot of new models have hiccups when they first come out, even Glock. I'm very enthusiastic about the LC9s, hopefully everything will have shaken out by the time I get one.

modrifle3

Buckeye
planetcat said:
Trooper Joe said:

Read some of the early posts on this thing. They are a very attractive gun but, I doubt if I would ever trust one.
That's a bummer. My custom II has been flawless for the last 10 years or so. Too bad they can't make that 9 mm work.[/quote]

So let me get this straight ... You sold every Kimber you had because of a Solo ... That you didn't own??? That is just stupid .... Sorry but it is. A solo is not a 1911.

Trooper Joe

Single-Sixer
So let me get this straight ... You sold every Kimber you had because of a Solo ... That you didn't own??? That is just stupid .... Sorry but it is. A solo is not a 1911.[/quote said:
Check out this sampling of comments and you will see why I was so "stupid".

http://www.americanrifleman.org/blogs/kimber-solo/

Regards

modrifle3

Buckeye
Trooper Joe said:
So let me get this straight ... You sold every Kimber you had because of a Solo ... That you didn't own??? That is just stupid .... Sorry but it is. A solo is not a 1911.[/quote said:
Check out this sampling of comments and you will see why I was so "stupid".

http://www.americanrifleman.org/blogs/kimber-solo/

Regards

A Custom II is not a Solo ... Why would you sell it because a Solo doesn't function.

modrifle3

Buckeye
I incorrectly quoted ... The comment was directed at planetcat. Unless I am reading this wrong???