Mec Gar MKIII Mags

Help Support Ruger Forum:

aWoods

Single-Sixer
I just got some Mec Gar MKIII mags from CDNN. These mags seem higher quality than the glock ones. The stamped steel has been re-patterned to be more rigid.

Also they were 17 bucks.

aWoods

Single-Sixer
I finally took my Mec Gar mags to the range. They ran flawlessly, which should be no surprise since they are made by mec gar, but I wasn't sure because there were a couple changes in the design, and I read that some folks needed to tune theirs to get them to work.

One of the design changes was very interesting. The stamping of the magazine steel was changed to be MUCH more rigid. I believe this addresses an issue I have seen before where the mags were flimsy and could fairly easily get bent out of spec. The other change is in the follower button, which i didn't care for that much, but didn't seem to affect function.

And because I know you all like pics - here are a couple of pics of some 10 round groups I shot at 25 ft. One of them was actually pretty decent!

20140928_145448.jpg
20140928_150901.jpg

Here's a pic of my gun, and the mags.

Untitled.png

22/45 Fan

Hunter
blume357 said:
Could be wrong but I think I read somewhere here that MecGar actually makes most of the Ruger Factory Mags.
My "factory" SR9 mags say "Made in Italy" on them and I assume that means they were made by Mec-Gar. I've never had any problems with Mec-Gar magazines, whether bought as factory mags or purchased as aftermarket ones. Good products.

aWoods

Single-Sixer
The sr9 mags were almost certainly made by Mec Gar or one of it's subsidiaries.

Mec gar makes arguably the best magazines in the world. When Sig stopped using mec gar to make their mags, there were reports on sig forums about factory mag malfunctions, which people were not experiencing with the mec gar after market mags they bought during the same period. Also, around that time, Mec gar redesigned the sig 226 mag so that it went from 15 rounds capacity to 18 rounds capacity as well as adding a super-slick and more durable coating. Essentially, they were setting the pace on sig mags.

Now it looks like Ruger has stopped contracting out to Mec gar because Mec gar doesn't usually undercut it's contract work with aftermarket offerings. This can be a great opportunity for the smart buyer to pick up what used to be $40 magazines for ~$25. Essentially you're getting next generation version of the same magazine by the same manufacturer for 60% of the cost.

Also, a $25 magazine makes the SR series much more competitive with Glock from a buyer's standpoint. Before you might have saved 100$ on your SR9 over a glock, and then sunk the saved money into magazines. Now you can save on the gun, and pay a fair price on the mags - it just makes it a more viable alternative.

I'm not trying to shill for MG, I'm actually excited for myself and other Ruger guys. Someone needs to get that sr9 mag and make sure it's not broken or something.