Not a Ruger, but thought I would share. G27 Review

Help Support Ruger Forum:

modrifle3

Buckeye
KKM barrel is on the way. Got new off eBay so free shipping. Paid retail but at least shipping was free.

modrifle3

Buckeye
So today the KKM barrel got it first work out. Tula steel, federal aluminum, federal brass and Winchester brass. When I first opened the box I liked the look. Satin chamber, polished barrel. Very well made with a nicely polished chamber and feed ramp. Crown is sharp and polished and rifling is smooth and clean. Ruger should let this guys make their barrels. I did however notice this barrel had marks from being cycled through an action so I just assume this is part of the fitting before shipping. Chamber support is spot on with the glock barrel, but the chamber is much tighter although each ammo past the plunk test.

Well this review is pretty boring. The barrel worked ... Very well. Off hand my groups closed and spent brass is nice and bulge free. All rounds feed with out issue.

I will say the hype around KKM is not hype. It takes perfection and makes it better. My only suggestion would be black versions, but that's about it. If you shoot .40 cal Glocks get one.

modrifle3

Buckeye
Well I discovered the down side of the KKM barrel. After more rounds and a through inspection they became apparent. The attributes that make it more accurate are also causing it to damage the pistol. The bottom lug is so large and the ways its cut, the barrel is actually hitting the trigger bar in two places. Will it cause long term issues? Most likely not, but why chance it.

I checked the clearance on the factory barrel and there is no contact at all in either place. I guess that it is true that most aftermarket manufacturers don't take the time to really engineer their products like a large company like Glock.

This just goes to further support the idea that usually stock is better. I may give storm lake a try, but I doubt it.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Did KKM say this is a drop in barrel? I know at least some of theirs are supposed to be fitted to the individual pistol. If it is supposed to be drop in I bet they will fix it for you if you ask them. When I got my Storm Lake barrel I noticed it fit pretty snug in the slide. Also, the chamber was really tight, even having some FTE problems. Contacted SL, they told me to send it in. Less than a week later I had it back and it shoots great.

IlikeIke

Bearcat
I have a G27. It is accurate and dependable, but it is snappy and takes some getting used to. I traded a hunting rifle for it and got a bonus that I didn't even know was part of the trade: a KKM 40 to 9mm conversion barrel. When I use the 9mm kkm and G26 mags, the gun becomes even more accurate, and it doesn't damage my pistol. I'm every bit as accurate with that setup as I am with the G19. But since it isn't stock, I only carry the G27 with the stock .40 barrel. Just a rule of mine: only carry stock with Glock. But I do enjoy shooting the KKM at the range.

modrifle3

Buckeye
Well to further update the original G27 is gone. Even the factory barrel was hitting the slide in such a way it actually started peening a channel into it where it makes initial contact before going into battery. I know the manager at GM and he decided to let me exchange it and they would fight with Glock to get a replacement. However based on the large chamber spec of the .40, I decided to go back to 9mm and a Gen 4 this time. And the upside, it was only $25 plus the tax to upgrade. I got lucky on this one.

I don't think I will be changing anything on the G26 as the chamber is spec'ed pretty much inline with other 9mms. It is also nice that I got an extra mag and the grip finish is really nice and it does make it easier to hold. I think I like the mag release the most. It is amazing how much easier mag changes are with the tiny grip and the large mag release. I didn't fool around with grip extensions etc and just bought two 12rd factory extension mags for the it.

I think even with 124gr rounds this is going to be much more pleasent to shoot than the .40. Although the 180gr tula ammo has to be the softest shooting .40 out there. I will not be getting rid of my Gen 3 G22 anytime soon, but for the tiny Glocks I think 9mm is the better choice. I will now this afternoon.

If anyone is interested, I have two extra 9rd G27 mags that I will sell to the first person who paypals me $40 and I will ship priority on me. Just PM me for the address.

modrifle3

Buckeye
Not one for patience I decided to take a short range trip at lunch today. I will cut to the point. The Gen 4 is everything the G27 was and more. The first thing that is apparent when you shoot the Gen4 is how much better the grip feels when you pick it up. My hand naturally obtains the correct position. I choose not to use a backstrap since I will carry this one, but on a larger model the benefits will be great and the high ride grip is very much 1911 like.

I can't say much for accuracy but in the few rounds I fired it grouped well but I am pulling to the right. I do this with everything, it's me. I fired a box of really cheap dirty Fiocchi 115gr. With this ammo it felt like a .380.

Unlike the canyon like chamber on the G27, the G26 has a chamber that produces no bulge what so ever and I even resized with no noticed enlargement at the base. This is great for us reloaders. I think my usual plated loads will do well.

If I would have followed proven advice instead of wanting something new I could have saved myself some trouble but live and learn. At least it only cost me about $30.

Maybe next I will do a head to head of the XD9 subcompact and the G26.

Mike J

Hunter
Thanks for the write up Modrifle. I am not really looking to buy anything else right now but it always good to gain insight into what other options are out there. I don't need one but a G23 is still a temptation to me.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Glad to hear all worked out. I have always found the mini .40's to be decidedly non-enjoyable to shoot. I love the gen. 4 grip without any backstrap, it's just right.