P89T

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Osage

Bearcat
Forgive me for jumping in here, I hope I'm not interrupting. Yes, I'm "New" to the Ruger board. For what its worth, over the years I've owned several different Rugers,(never had a "bad" one). Anyway to the subject, I recently stumbled onto a P89T"Special Edition". Actually I thought I was familiar with most of the P-series Rugers, but apparently not.

Other than the black box labeled Special Edition P89T, blued slide, grey colored parkarized frame and mirror polished closed slide exposed barrel section, it looks like a basic P89. Based on the serial number, I'm guessing it was manufactured in late 2000. The condition appears as though it has been stored in a safe for the last 14 years, unfired.

Needless to say, any wisdom on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Osage

Mike J

Hunter
Not a P89 but I have a P944 T (.40 caliber P94). It is much as you describe. Blued slide, silver/gray aluminum frame. The barrel is stainless though I don't believe mine ever looked polished. It came in a black plastic box marked special edition also (only came with one mag & no magazine loader). IIRC it was around 2000 when I bought it at a gunshow. I don't shoot it much anymore but there is nothing wrong with it. It works & works well & I don't have any complaints about it's accuracy.

Osage

Bearcat
Thanks for the responses, another guy who saw it also wondered if it might be a promotional model, however all the original paperwork indicates that it came directly from Ruger. The sticky label on side of the box has the same serial number as the gun. What I noticed first different was the highly polished barrel section exposed in the ejection opening.

With regard to the "like new" condition, even the bottom surfaces of the slide shows no sign of use and both magazines have no scuff marks on the bluing. So I guess this is one of those that I keep.

All I know about it is that it apparently has always been in western Kentucky, since it was purchased new.

Osage

roylt

Hunter
I always though they were just leftover parts Ruger put together. Mixing the blued parts and stainless. Also only shipping one mag in the box to save money. Typically a sticker on the end of the box by the label that says "one mag".

Same as all the other guns just with mixed color parts.

Osage

Bearcat
Roylt:

Actually I used to be of the same mindset, until I decided to sell a German 98 mauser rifle that I thought was sporterized, but was one of only 500 made for the Africa Corp special forces.

Unique or not its in beautiful condition and since it was made in mid-range production I rather doubt its a parts gun. As indicated earlier it came with (2)two 10 round magazines.

If I can shoot it at least as well as my Walther P5, I'll keep it.

Osage

Osage

Bearcat
Mike J.

Interesting Update; on the back page of my P89 manual is a sticker that says: "THE P89T, P90T AND P944T ARE SPECIAL, NON-CATALOGED PISTOLS WHICH ARE SHIPPED WITH ONE MAGAZINE ONLY AND ARE PRICED ACCORDINGLY."

Therefore the original owner of mine must have purchased the second magazine at some point.

Other than I have determined they were produced in 2000 and in 2004.

Osage

Mike J

Hunter
I wound up buying another 10 round magazine for my P944 and a magazine loader not long after I bought it. Later I wound up running across some pre-ban 11 round .40 caliber P series magazines & picked them up too. It taught me it is better to spend a little more & get the gun you want with at least 2 magazines. Cheaper in the long run. It still irks me that some manufacturers only sell certain models of pistols with one magazine.