A Ruger pistol in 32 cal?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Goss

Bearcat
Greetings,
Help settle an argument. Did Ruger ever make a 32 cal. pistol? I said no, others yes.
Which is it?
Thanks,
Goss

MacEntyre

Single-Sixer
I don't think Ruger ever made a 32 cal semi-auto pistol... only 32 cal revolvers.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Not even for export AFAIK. Never for the US market.
There's always a potential for a back-room experimental model but none ever proven in any books I've read.
Mr. Prasac?

1gunsnotenough

Buckeye
Aftermarket conversion.
http://www.gunauction.com/buy/8064237/pistols-for-sale/ruger-mark-i-custom-conversion-to-32-smith-and-wesson-long

22/45 Fan

Hunter
The closest I know Ruger came to a factory .32 was the P-89X which came with both a 9 mm and a .30 Luger barrel. Since the .30's were almost identical in bore diameter to most .32 auto rounds, that's a good start.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
mexicanjoe said:
ruger came out with a.32 H&R magnum either bearkat or single six back in the 80's.
They also made the SP-101 in both the .32 H&R and .327 Federal Magnum and the GP-100 in .327 Federal magnum. However, none of this is germane to the OP's question. He asked about "pistols", implying semi-autos only, not revolvers.

Goss

Bearcat
Thanks all,
You've answered my question, and once again, I'm right!
Later,
Goss

22/45 Fan

Hunter
FergusonTO35 said:
An LCP in .32 Auto would be pure awesomeness.
Why? The .380 ACP is marginal enough. BTW, Kel-Tec did (does?) make the P32 in .32 ACP but it was completely upstaged when they brought out basically the same gun in .380 (the P3AT).

Can a .32 make it through a human sternum? I have seen a police report on a case where a woman who shot an intruder with a 32 ACP. Several rounds made contact but did not penetrate deep enough to stop the threat. One deflected off his sternum/rib cage into a dresser...

It's all about shot placement, but please bring enough gun!

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I don't think this thread is really drifting bad at all, Ruger ought to try their hand at the .32 Auto.

It's all about the ammo. Most factory .32 Auto ammo out there is very watered down due to all the old and/or cheap guns out there made in this cartridge, of course this applies to alot of other calibers as well. Load up with some CIP spec. European ammo or smart hand loads and the little .32 can perform quite well for its size. If you are limited to whatever is on the shelf at the local cheap mart then yes the .32 Auto is a poor, and expensive, choice. I reload and cast bullets for the .32 Auto and its one of my favorites.

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
If they made a 32 pistol ..it should be made smaller than the LCP ..then I'd get one

I like the 32ACP....but in the same size of pistol I'd lean toward the 380

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Buckeye! said:
If they made a 32 pistol ..it should be made smaller than the LCP ..then I'd get one

I like the 32ACP....but in the same size of pistol I'd lean toward the 380
That's pretty much the problem. You can't make a pistol too much smaller than the current 380/32's like the Kel-Tecs and LCP or a human hand won't be able to hold it and the .32's (and .380s for that matter) have poor enough ballistics without giving them even shorter barrels.

It's like keyboards on smart phones. They could be a lot smaller but no one would be able to use them.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
1.No one is lining up wanting to be shot with a 32ACP slug.
2. Buy a Kel-Tec if you want a carry-everywhere, reliable super-lightweight 32ACP semi-auto.
3. Ruger never made a 32ACP and my lunch money says they never will.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Agreed on all points. Kel-Tec and to a lesser extent Seecamp and Walther have the small market for .32 Auto carry guns wrapped up. I really like my little Kel-Tec. I can shoot it better than any other small double action out there and it has 7 rounds of stout (by tiny pistol standards) handloads on board.