paint flying off chamber indicator

Help Support Ruger Forum:

stuckinatree90

Bearcat
hey guys, i've got a problem with my sr9c. i'm not sure if this is a normal thing for this pistol or not, but.. i've only put about 500-700 rounds through my pistol and on two occasions the red paint that they put on the chamber indicator from the factory 'exploded' in my face. the second time it happened, it was like confetti in my face. now the chamber indicator has practically no paint on it. it looks as if it was never painted to begin with, with the exception of the front portion. have any of you heard of this?

0woebj.jpg

ZcX2V5.jpg

thanks guys,
-Ian

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
What do you use to clean your guns with? There are some solvents that will go after that paint, I know because mine lost it's paint years ago after using a spray cleaner that has never been a problem with other finishes.

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
Red paint......who needs stinking red paint.....forget bout it !!!!

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I've used Markal paint pens to fix the little red indented dots for safeties. The paint holds up well to most cleaning solvents.

http://www.markal.com/liquid-paint-markers/pro-line-xt/

stuckinatree90

Bearcat
i pretty much douse the thing in barricade. mostly because i love the way it smells, but i havent ever had rust on my pistol.. so i guess it works well. hoppes#9 for the barrel and a light coat of rem oil after everything has been wiped down all clean. i mostly use the fouling blaster for my 91/30 cause of the disgustingly dirty ammunition it fires. and yeah im not too worried about the paint. i just wondered why it sprayed out like a party popper. i didn't know if it was just something only i've experienced or if its a normal thing.

fiVpaK.jpg

Idaho Spud

Bearcat
I removed the red paint from my SR9c first thing. It was embarrassing. Unfortunately the writing wasn't so easily remedied. Didn't affect gun function, however, pro or con.

Ruger Nut10

Single-Sixer
Mine fell off the first few months of owning it. Never missed it. I have contemplated filing it down so it doesn't stick up as far.

D_Gunner

Single-Sixer
Why do they put a chamber indicator on there anyways.Treat a gun as if its always loaded at all times

findlayref19

Bearcat
D_Gunner said:
Why do they put a chamber indicator on there anyways.Treat a gun as if its always loaded at all times

There are some silly (big brother) states that require loaded chamber indicators. It's probably cheaper to put them on all guns than to produce 2 different guns.