LC9 keep with upgrade or trade?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tinman931

Single-Sixer
I have an LC9 which I really like, although I agree with those who think the trigger is a bit long. I had been considering the trigger and spring upgrade kit. Now I am wondering if I would be better off using the $100 along with the trade of my LC9 towards the new LC9s. Does anyone have any experience with the new s model compared to the previous model (especially with the upgraded trigger) who can offer their input? Thanks.

gusco21

Bearcat
DO NOT get the Galloway Precision trigger kit. I wrote up a review and several people chimed in with similar experiences. It isn't worth the money. I have not tried the new s model, but I'd say the funnest safest option would be to buy $100 worth of ammo and head to the range to get used to that trigger pull ;)

modrifle3

Buckeye
Lc9s if you want an improved trigger. Sorry but the Galloway stuff is not proving 100%. I looked at the S last Sat and the trigger is good. Best bet if you can afford is to keep the LC and buy the S. On trade I was offered $175.

5of7

Hunter
I have the LC9s and I have to say that I am very impressed with the trigger, the guns ability to handle the 9MM round, and it's accuracy at 40 feet.

If you can find one, by all means just buy the LC9s and sell your old LC9. You won't regret it. 8)

Tinman931

Single-Sixer
I appreciate the feedback. I didn't realize there were issues with Galloway's triggers.

I still am thinking about the s, but for a $175 trade I will just plan to keep the original. Might as well just save up instead if taking that kind of a bath on it.

cnj

Bearcat
Sell your LC9 and get the LC9s. Yup, you'll be out a couple hundred bucks, but in 6 months, you'll have forgotten all about that money.

Trucker

Single-Sixer
Bottom line, it a personal preference thingie. I could live the the original LC9 [Great little 9mm!] and it's long trigger pull ... but I sure prefer a shorter, crisper trigger that breaks further out from the grip frame! Now I got it! Traded my LC9 for the new S model and love it love it love it love it!! The trigger makes it so much easier to stay on target and reacquire the target for follow up shots. I now have smaller and lighter [than my SR9C] 9mm that shoots really really well that I love to carry. With the flat magazine plate the LC9s just disappears under a light T Shirt!! If the long trigger pull bothers you in the least bit, trade! You won't be sorry.

After 300 rounds of checking it out I have no reason to believe the LC9c won't be every bit as dependable as the LC9. I haven't experienced any problems at all with five different kinds of ammo and the gun is really easy to shoot and shoot accurately. I will call Ruger and ask them to send me a new Guide rod assembly just to be on the safe side.

Tinman931

Single-Sixer
Great feedback. Thanks.

What is the issue with the guide rod assembly that you want another one?

Mike J

Hunter
Let me say up front I don't have any experience with the LC9. My small 9mm is still an old Kel-Tec P11 that has a really long, stagey, & heavy trigger pull. My opinion though is that you should either sell it (find an individual to sell it to & you will probably do better than trading at a shop) and buy what you want or accept the trigger pull to be what it is & practice with it until you can make it work. I wouldn't try to mod it but that is just my opinion.

Northcoastman

Bearcat
I bought an LC9 two years ago. I loved everything about the gun except the trigger. I thought that was the only real problem the gun had. With some extensive range time I felt it would not be an issue. I went ahead and polished the ramp, put a Galloway ss guide rod and a 20# spring set on the thing. Then I put a Pachmyer grip and a Crimson Trace laser on it. I'm an older guy and my eyesight is not what it used to be. This was to be my CCW weapon so I wanted every advantage that I could get. After many months and many boxes of ammo I was still was not happy with it's performance. I then made the regrettable decision to have Galloway install the newest version of their trigger upgrade. I was expecting good things with with the upgraded trigger but alas..it was not to be. As soon as I got it back I took it to the range. The trigger pull was shortened by about .25 of an inch. I understood it would have been closer to a .50 shorter but no. I brought a box of 100 factory rounds with me (white box). The first 75 rounds ...no problem. The last 25 I had three failure to fires. Needless to say that shot (no pun intended..or maybe a little) the reliability factor for a CCW weapon. Wait...there's more...last week I had a chance to fire the new LC9s and the trigger was fantastic!! I was excited about the new changes on the s and pissed off at the same time about the money I spent on the LC9. talk about conflicted..damn!! LOL I hate to say how much that trigger cost me but it was waaaay too much for what the Galloway trigger gives you. I am now picking up a new LC9s tomorrow. I will be putting the grip and laser from the old one on to the new one. The LC9 will be relegated to a back bedroom as a last resort weapon and a constant reminder to think things through a little more in the future.

FelixD

Bearcat
I bought an LC9 and carried it and shot it since the gun came out. I really liked it, until the s model was fielded. What a difference! The s is everything I had in the DA gun plus a short, 5lb trigger pull. Sell the DA and shoot the crap out of the s.

modrifle3

Buckeye
I just looked at a LCP custom ... Not a huge .380 fan but really want to shoot this gun. Nice trigger, stainless guide rod and real sights.

jjmIII_Ruger

Single-Sixer
Tinman931 said:
I have an LC9 which I really like, although I agree with those who think the trigger is a bit long...

It's a bit tough to say in a Ruger forum, but I think you should look at a S&W Shield. You'll love it!

modrifle3

Buckeye
jjmIII_Ruger said:
Tinman931 said:
I have an LC9 which I really like, although I agree with those who think the trigger is a bit long...

It's a bit tough to say in a Ruger forum, but I think you should look at a S&W Shield. You'll love it!

Don't be ashamed it's all in all a better made gun .... It's just bigger than the LC9 so it is harder to conceal. I have yet to shoot a 9s but the shield far outshoots the LC9 in my experience with it.

I ended up in the end with a g26 and I am not looking back.

welder

Buckeye
modrifle3 said:
jjmIII_Ruger said:
Tinman931 said:

Don't be ashamed it's all in all a better made gun .... It's just bigger than the LC9 so it is harder to conceal. I have yet to shoot a 9s but the shield far outshoots the LC9 in my experience with it.

I ended up in the end with a g26 and I am not looking back.

I had an LC9.

I have a Shield 9mm.

I do not regret it at all.

MrEarle

Bearcat
LC9s is the gun they should have built in the first place. I consigned my LC9 at my local pawn shop and cleared 3 bills before the value dropped to nothing because the S is far superior in the trigger and a perfect pistol. I am only a little leery of carrying one in the chamber because the slide safety is not a firm snap, however the glock style trigger safety should be adequate. Priced with discount @ 370
Don't monkey with the LC9 mods, just trade up for the LC9s before the value of the LC9 dropps too much