NEW GUIDE ROD FOR THE NEW LC9s

Help Support Ruger Forum:

robkarrob

Bearcat
NOTICE

Anyone that has or will be purchasing the new LC9s, the new current guide rod has a conical front, as opposed to a flat front guide rod that was initially shipped in the LC9s. Ruger has re-engineered the guide rod, as they had issues with the guide rod not centering properly and not allowing the slide to go fully back into battery and hanging up. So if you have the old style guide rod assembly, you can call Ruger and advise them that you are experiencing slide hangs up and sometimes the slide does not go fully back into battery. Ruger will send you out the new guide rod assembly. I have linked a poor quality photo of the shape of the new conical guide rod, that is now standard for all new manufactured LC9s models. The old style is flat not conical.

Bob

shawn mccarver

Bearcat
I was wondering if the new conical guide rod for the LC9S is being supplied for the LC9, and if not, does anyone know why the LC9S is having this issue and not the LC9?

jb1911

Bearcat
shawn mccarver said:
I was wondering if the new conical guide rod for the LC9S is being supplied for the LC9, and if not, does anyone know why the LC9S is having this issue and not the LC9?
That's a good question. I've got an LC9s on order, hope it has the upgrade guide rod.

thomaskling

Bearcat
I am not surprised that there are problems with the guide rods, they are made of plastic !!! Replaced mine with a stainless steel one from Galloway. Ruger's design problems with this gun have hurt their reputation IMO.

jb1911

Bearcat
I got an LC9s yesterday and it came with the new style guide rod. The trigger is super sweet, it's like a Nano but with a shorter, lighter pull. And very smooth, no grittiness at all. There's no wall to pull up to, then break like a Glock, it's just a straight through pull. I haven't shot it yet but so far I'm very impressed.

5of7

Hunter
I got the new guide rod assembly today and installed it. It seems to have a little stiffer spring on it than the original one did. It could be just me, I didn't actually measure it.

Anyone else replaced the guide rod assembly? 8)

jb1911

Bearcat
Went to my son's farm today and put a box of Hornady self defense ammo through it. Function was perfect and accuracy was great. Such a smooth trigger! I'm very happy.

Edited to add:

The recoil was much lighter than I expected, very easy to get back on the target.

The only thing I can say that I don't like about this pistol is that it's kind of a pain to take down for cleaning. That's a minor thing IMHO.

modrifle3

Buckeye
thomaskling said:
I am not surprised that there are problems with the guide rods, they are made of plastic !!! Replaced mine with a stainless steel one from Galloway. Ruger's design problems with this gun have hurt their reputation IMO.

There is no know issue with plastic guide rods ... Not to rehash but what design problems??? It is typical Ruger DA design in terms of trigger pull. Quality on these is actually good.

jb1911

Bearcat
thomaskling said:
You're talking about the LC9, right? I checked Galloway and they don't have one for the LC9s yet. I've had plenty of pistols with plastic guide rods and have had zero problems.

modrifle3

Buckeye
jb1911 said:
thomaskling said:
You're talking about the LC9, right? I checked Galloway and they don't have one for the LC9s yet. I've had plenty of pistols with plastic guide rods and have had zero problems.

In 20 years of glock ownership I have never seen a guiderod fail. This is marketing that companies due to sell stuff. There is nearly zero lateral stress on a guiderod. I bought into the extra measure of safety and bought a metal G19 guiderod and all it did was complicate assembly.

Out of thousands of trigger complaints, I have yet to see a broken guiderod in a LC9.

Jim Puke

Hunter
modrifle3 said:
jb1911 said:
thomaskling said:

In 20 years of glock ownership I have never seen a guiderod fail. This is marketing that companies due to sell stuff. There is nearly zero lateral stress on a guiderod. I bought into the extra measure of safety and bought a metal G19 guiderod and all it did was complicate assembly.

Out of thousands of trigger complaints, I have yet to see a broken guiderod in a LC9.

Some people feel the need to start "improving" any gun they buy.

loaded round

Hunter
I have a NIB Lc9S in transit to me now. I appreciate this heads up on the guide rod. It will be the first things I check when I receive my new toy. Thanks!

modrifle3

Buckeye
I looked at new one today, $350, that had the old style. If Ruger is sending out new RSA for free I will not be too worried about it .... I must say it was a very nice and tight little pistol.

loaded round

Hunter
Ruger will send out a new taper guide rod upon request when you call and give them your firearm's serial number. I bought my LC9s at the end of 8/14 and it had the flat style guide rod. Ruger replaced mine within in a week.

muggia59

Bearcat
Good to hear. I have the old guide rod and I have over 200 flawless rounds thru it. It did hang up on reassembly, but a quick rack of the slide fixed the issue every time. That's why I like Ruger. Their customer service has never let me down.

Latest posts