NEW GUIDE ROD FOR THE NEW LC9s

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Gizmo42

Single-Sixer
Looks like I get to call Ruger. The LC9s I bought last week has the older flat guide rod and I have the same issue that Hickock45 was talking about.

I have never had a guide rod fail but the one on my LCP sure got beat up quickly. This is after only 100-200 rounds.

lcpgr1.jpg

slayer61

Bearcat
Gizmo42 said:
Looks like I get to call Ruger. The LC9s I bought last week has the older flat guide rod and I have the same issue that Hickock45 was talking about.

I have never had a guide rod fail but the one on my LCP sure got beat up quickly. This is after only 100-200 rounds.

lcpgr1.jpg
That's pretty ugly! and only 200 rounds! :shock: Looks like you ought to be getting a new guide rod and keeping an eye on it too.

Gizmo42

Single-Sixer
slayer61 said:
That's pretty ugly! and only 200 rounds! :shock: Looks like you ought to be getting a new guide rod and keeping an eye on it too.

A friend of mine has many more rounds through his and while his guide rod was beat up it wasnt nearly as bad. I bought stainless rods for both of ours. I also bought the Wolff spring tuning pack for mine.

Sent an email to Ruger about the guide rod for the LC9s so I should have the new design of it in a few days.

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
I have the old style guide rod in my LC9s. I called Ruger and asked for the new style guide rod thinking it was a normal upgrade, but they refused to send me one since my gun was working perfectly. I was a bit surprised.

Gizmo42

Single-Sixer
Odd. I got a call from them the next day and told them it wasnt centering correctly, which it wasnt, and they shipped me out a new one the same day. It's now installed and working great.

Mine was doing the same as this guys..

IlikeIke

Bearcat
robkarrob said:
NOTICE

Anyone that has or will be purchasing the new LC9s, the new current guide rod has a conical front, as opposed to a flat front guide rod that was initially shipped in the LC9s. Ruger has re-engineered the guide rod, as they had issues with the guide rod not centering properly and not allowing the slide to go fully back into battery and hanging up. So if you have the old style guide rod assembly, you can call Ruger and advise them that you are experiencing slide hangs up and sometimes the slide does not go fully back into battery. Ruger will send you out the new guide rod assembly. I have linked a poor quality photo of the shape of the new conical guide rod, that is now standard for all new manufactured LC9s models. The old style is flat not conical.

Bob

Thanks, really preshate it. I just picked up a brand new LC9S for the wife yesterday and it has the bad guide rod assembly. I called Ruger today and they are sending out the other one. They told me the old one would work if I put the cut end of the wire in the 12 oclock position. It was better, but still not 100 percent. I ain't gonna let her shoot it till the new one comes in. What is interesting is that my wife's 9mm Shield has an assembly similar and it is hard to center. No light strikes or FTRTB yet, but I wish Smith would replace it with a cone.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
buckshotshorty said:
I have the old style guide rod in my LC9s. I called Ruger and asked for the new style guide rod thinking it was a normal upgrade, but they refused to send me one since my gun was working perfectly. I was a bit surprised.

Call them back and tell them it malfunctioned on the range and since you bought the gun for protection that is is unacceptable.

I'll be calling tomorrow. While mine has never jammed while firing I have a hard time getting the guide rod to allow me to slide the slide on after cleaning. I won't be taking no for an answer, not that I expect them to say no.

camper

Bearcat
Requested mine on 28 September and got it a few days later. Will put it in before I go to the range again. Right now carrying one of my G42s.

Trooper Joe

Single-Sixer
I too had the old style guide rod on my LC9s (purchased in August). Called Ruger and complained about reassembly problems and they sent me out the new style one in a few days.

When I first went to the range with the new guide rod, I had a lot of FTF issues. Took the gun home, left it locked open (slide back) for a few days, and tried it again. It now works perfectly.

In regards to the comment above about the guide rod on a new LCP, my latest LCP (purchased about December of 2013) showed that same "galling" evidence after one range trial. Called Ruger and was told that this was probably due to their doing away with the "bell shaped" inner spring that used to be installed forward in the gun. They suggested that I send the gun back and they would "open up" the hole in the slide where the guide rod feeds through.

Not wanting to do that, I purchased the upgrade stainless steel guide rod and 13 pound Wolff spring from Galloway. The LCP has worked perfectly since then. It even seemed to dampen the recoil slightly with the 13 pound spring.

I noticed that Galloway now lists a replacement guide rod and spring for the LC9s. However, my LC9s is working so good, I think I will just keep it stock.

mysquishy

Bearcat
my lc9s had the early version guide rod, i emailed ruger , they sent me the new version at no charge, they even shipped for free, great customer service.

pingman274

Bearcat
Can anyone confirm the part number associated with the "new" guide rod. I have an LC9S that has the old style and twice Ruger has replaced it with the same thing. This despite me asking for the "conical" one and the "newest" revision. The part number I've gotten is CF02060-100.

My assemblies (now 3) have a flat washer at the muzzle end, with beveled edges. Definitely no "cone" on the end.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Can't help with the part number but that's really strange that they keep sending you the old style. My LC9s is a few months old now and it came with the new style. You'd think they would have dumped the entire inventroy of the old ones since they know they're basically defective...

loaded round

Hunter
I'm surprised that Ruger would do such a thing. I had no problem getting mine replaced with the new conical guide rod. Are you sure that what you received is not the new conical guide rod?

OldePhart

Blackhawk
Hmmm. Thought about this some more. The original ones were completely flat, with no bevel on the spring side (they were slightly rounded on the forward side). I wonder if maybe they figured out how to salvage the old ones by cutting a bevel on the edge? Or maybe the one's you are getting are a new third design that solves the original problem?

This video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VabiLfPXIVo#t=204 shows the flat and conical ones very clearly. If the ones you are getting have a clear bevel on the spring side then they are not the old flat ones and are probably fine...and in that case I'd cycle the action a bunch and see if it goes fully into battery reliably.

Remember that, when installed in the slide, the spring does not ride on the end of the guide rod, it rides on the slide. I.e. the "cone" doesn't need to center the spring, it just needs to be enough to ensure that as the slide goes forward over the rod the end of the rod does not snag on the slide...it doesn't seem like it would take much bevel to accomplish that...

John

pingman274

Bearcat
Thanks so much guys! The video was actually really helpful. As it turns out, the second replacement was indeed the "new" design. I had compared the assemblies end on and had not pulled the spring on the second assembly far enough to see the "cone." So, I'll "apologize" to the fine folks at Ruger, at least they got it right eventually. BTW, the part number I posted above is the one associated with the "new" part. Maybe that will help someone order it, if they need.