LC9 and 9mm NATO

Help Support Ruger Forum:

modrifle3

Buckeye
I picked up a box of 124gr NATO that states 1200fps at the muzzle. My LC9 was actually more accurate with this round, but the hard snap made follows up seem more difficult. It actually snapped so hard a few times I hit the mag release.

I think I may start loading 124gr Fmj or plated and have it be my standard since my SD ammo is 124gr.

Geoff Timm

Single-Sixer
What other ammo have you been firing? The NATO ammo is not much different that Winchester White Box 124gr, they come off the same production lines. NATO standards have to do with fit and reliability. Geoff Who notes the NATO ammo has the cross and circle headstamp and costs several dollars more per box.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I know that WWB 124gr barely hits 1100fps out of a almost 5" barrel and Win NATO 124gr clocks at over 1250fps from that same gun. NATO isn't a +P as it's pressure is not above a SAMMI standard but it moves like a +P.

modrifle3

Buckeye
Cheesewhiz said:
I know that WWB 124gr barely hits 1100fps out of a almost 5" barrel and Win NATO 124gr clocks at over 1250fps from that same gun. NATO isn't a +P as it's pressure is not above a SAMMI standard but it moves like a +P.

It honestly made me feel like I was shooting a compact .40 .... I liked it :)

I haven't looked but does anyone know the Winchester load specs for 9mm NATO?

modrifle3

Buckeye
Speaking of .40s&w the siren's lure from a Gen3 Glock 22 made me buy one Sat. It was terrible ... I mindlessly took out my license CCW and credit card...there was nothing I could do.

modrifle3

Buckeye
I may go all out ... G22 then G27 and a few 22rd mags ... Lol. I call it the Bloomberg Special

mistermills357

Blackhawk
It sounds like a good plan to me, and I would carry it.
A 124 grain 9mm at 1,200 fps should knock the heck outa of barney-bad-boy, every time it is needed.
Even a NATO load with a FMJ has its uses, such as injuring a spinal cord, starting from a frontal shot.
See, yuh gotta look at the bright side of things. :twisted:
If follow-up shots are difficult with that load, keep trying to tame the beast.
Use a two handed hold, and increase your bottom grip, tighter and tighter, until it controls the muzzle-flip.
It sounds good on paper anyway.

Here are the stats for Win NATO 124 Grain at Midway.com
And even at 1,140 fps, it maintains 350+ foot pounds. That is a good number and I think that it is a winner.
Technical Information
Caliber: 9mm Luger
Bullet Weight: 124 Grains
Bullet Style: Full Metal Jacket
Case Type: Brass

Ballistics Information:
Muzzle Velocity: 1140 fps
Muzzle Energy: 358 ft. lbs.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/29...unition-9mm-luger-124-grain-full-metal-jacket

If you look at Midway, then look at the Fiocchi 124 grain 9mm.
They are claiming 1,250 fps with a 9mm, 124 grain bullet. That is 420 foot pounds of ME, and that is an exceptional number.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/99...full-metal-jacket-box-of-50?cm_vc=subv1999476

Geoff Timm

Single-Sixer
Winchester NATO 9mm: http://winchesterle.com/Products/handgun-ammunition/ranger/full-metal-jacket/Pages/RA9124N.aspx
The Winchester site is done by highly paid professional web artists. Or in other words, the thing sux.
Geoff
Who remembers the good old days when INFORMATION was available from people TRYING TO SELL SOMETHING!