SR22 and winchester super X 1300fps

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dannylightning

Bearcat
i just went to the range with my brand new SR22 and shot it for the first time. quite a few failure to feeds at first, the guy at the store did suggest 1400 fps ammo to break in the the gun but 1300 was the best they had in stock at the time. so i went with that.

after about half the box of ammo ( 100 round box ) the shells quit ejecting almost every shot, i would pull the trigger and hear click, racked it back and the old shell was stuck in the barrel and i had to get the shell out. this happened time and time and time again. some of there were actually hard to get out, almost like the shell was to big for the barrel. i am guessing it was the ammo, or maybe the barrel was dirty or needed oiled, maybe i should have cleaned it before i shot it for the fist time. i will mention i was gripping the gun as tight as i could, much normal that i usually grip a gun when i shoot, i know if you limp wrist it it can cause issues so it was not that.

when i got home i cleaned the gun side some bullets in and out of the barrel quite easily while it was still apart, put it back together and assembled it, than i loaded up a few clips and kept racking the slide, it ejected the bullets every time so it does not seem like a ejection mechanism failure, it seems like the shells were to big for the barrel after the bullet left the shell.

anyone have any thing like this happen before. i did read a review at bass pro shop for this ammo and someone did say their SR22 hated it and was having all kind of feeding and ejecting failures. but that is he only thing i could find about it with that ammo, anyone else ever have issues with the super x ammo..

thanks
-Danny.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
You probably should have cleaned your gun a bit before shooting, shipping oil or grease isn't gun lube and a decent bit of lube with a new gun is a good idea. I would mostly blame the ammo as you have, Winchester use to make good .22 ammo, they don't anymore. I still have a partial box of Super X from thirty years ago that cycles fine in my semi-autos and the new stuff does not. I have great luck with CCI Mini-Mags with any semi-auto and my SR-22 shoots the Federal bulk stuff pretty well after a bit of breaking in. There is a rimfire sub forum here where you can get more info and get more feedback.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=32

dannylightning

Bearcat
thanks for the reply, i originally had a bulk pack of federal i think it was, and the guy said i would probably end up having issues and getting frustraited with the gun during break in with that ammo because it did was not high enough FPS, i am thinking i would have been better off just getting that but i figured it might be better to have some higher power stuff for break in. i still have 300 rounds of the super x so i guess ill have to try and find some CCi in stock for next time. they were out of stock on all the CCI ammo or that is what i would have got. in my .45 CCi blazer and blazer brass is all i have ever shot.

ill try the super X again next weekend now that the gun is clean and lubed up and if its giving me ejection problems again, hopefully i will have found some CCI 22lr. and if i have the same isuse with those that i know its probably the gun..

there is one thing i noticed, when the hammer is pulled back and i rack the slide the slide still hits the hammer and it takes a little extra force to get the slide past the hammer after, seems like the slide should clear the hammer when its pulled back but i dont know for sure, i have never had a simi auto with a hammer before.. i am not sure if that is normal or not on this gun..

i did not see the rim fire forum before, this is the first time i have been on these forums and my first post.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Well now you had a second post and I just wanted to point you in a good direction. The Ruger SR-22 is probably the least ammo sensitive semi-auto pistol out there. Mine runs just about anything that comes in a bulk pack but new guns can be picky for the first hundred rounds or so. Have some good fun with it at least .22 ammo is starting to show up with some regularity now.

....and the slide going across the hammer on an already cocked gun is normal on most hammer fired semi-auto pistols.

added note: don't run live ammo through a gun to check for feeding, get snap caps or just go to the range. Live ammo being ran through a gun is a good way to have a discharge, you and I don't want that.

dannylightning

Bearcat
i found a second review stating that a SR22 had a problem with this ammo, and i found some other reviews saying this ammo was terrible and was causing the same issue on some other guns. seems like more bad reviews on it that good.

ill definitely pick up some CCI before i shoot it again. i decide to get the .22 so i could afford to go shooting more than a few times a year, hopefully its going to work out, i really liked shooting it looking past the issues i had, it was quite fun before shells quit wanting to eject.

if i have any issues next time ill make a new post in the other section, it probably is just the ammo or if i am lucky the gun just needed cleaned and lubed. guess ill find out..

-Danny

louchia

Single-Sixer
Every gun is a little different and so is the ammo. all issues I have had with my SR22 I believe are ammo related. I have had the same issue with rounds getting stuck and not ejecting. It always seemed to happen with bulk Federal LRN. I pay special attention to cleaning the chamber. I polished the inside of the chamber just in case there were some machine marks that needed to be polished out. This seemed to help.
I have pushed out stuck spent casings and inserted the in my S&W M&P22 and they slide in and out easily. Seems like Rugar machines their 22 chamber a little tighter.
However I do find that any CCI ammo, Blazer, Rem golden, Win. subsonic, American Eagle CPL all run without issue. I now have about 2000 rnds through it
Rugar says not to use hyper velocity (over 1300fps) accept occasionally a few rounds at the end or a range session to help clear any fouling.

dannylightning

Bearcat
thanks for the list of ammo that works for you, ill make sure i get something on that list.

i did not see anything about FPS in the manual. i did see something about match ammo or subsonic ammo will not work well. it does say all other factor ammo loaded to U.S standards including high velocity and hollow point should work fine.

dannylightning

Bearcat
well i decided to try it again today with the same ammo, it did great the first 50 rounds or so, than a lot of failure to feed started, only a about 10 shells did not eject from the barrel and i found i can press in lightly on the shell grabber from the outside of the gun and pull the slide back and it would than eject the shell that was stuck.

my conclusion, after about 50 rounds i noticed it got harder to pull the slide back, just seemed it was not moving as easily or as smooth, looks like lots of crud in the slide, almost looks like dust all over. i think this is just really dirty ammo causing the issue. even yesterday it worked fine for the fist 30 or 40 rounds, than the issues started. but it still did a lot better today than yesterday.

i was at the range for a total of 20 minutes today, yesterday it it took almost a hour to shoot off 100 rounds because of all the issues.

one thing i am not sure about, i have the rear sight set really far to the left and it still shooting slightly to the right. i generally shoot slightly to the right but this ting was way off for some reason but i got the site dialed in pretty well.

louchia

Single-Sixer
There is a difference between high velocity (approx. 1100fps - 1300fps) and hyper velocity(above 1300 fps). If you talk to Rugar, they will tell you to limit use of hyper velocity to a few rounds occasionally or something like that. Using it regular will cause premature ware.
If you are pulling to the right, your grip may be the problem. If you have a large hand as I do, you may be getting too much finger on the trigger. Also try tightening the grip of the left hand to help stableize.

dannylightning

Bearcat
i found some 36 grain mini mags, ran a few hundred rounds threw it and not one issue, gun was really dirty after i was done and it was still shooting fine at the end of the session. the mini mags felt like they had allot more power behind them than the super x did even though the super x is 40 grain and rated at 1300fps, almost felt like shooting a much larger caliber now that i got some mini mags.

looks like it was just lousy ammo causing my issue.

Latest posts