A mind is a terrible thing......

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I was busy searching for any sort of almost professional gunsmith video that came close to referring to polishing a breachface on Youtube, I found none, zip, zero but I'm sure it would be enjoyable as all get out.

I did find quite a few on polishing a feed ramp that ranged from reasonable to down right hilarious for the mind-numbing BS that was said as the barrel's feed ramp or the feed ramp cut in the frame was demolished, great fun.

The Glock stuff was the highest quality of absurdity and I think I found the best but challenge anyone to find one done "morebetter". It even includes some training video and tips, just a joy to behold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOFUUTeulCo

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
groberts said:
What drives a person to go out and search for fault in other peoples' work? What kind of childhood did you have?

Work is the process of accomplishment, he made me laugh pretty damn hard, so you got me there. My childhood was a pretty nice one for the most part. What kind did you have where you end up with no sense of humor whatsoever?

Humor has been based on pratfalls and just plain clueless stupid stuff since the dawn of man, that video was the clueless stupid stuff, you don't get it, I understand.

Mike J

Hunter
I could understand why someone might want to do some of the modifications he showed if they are competing in idpa or uspsa. I would not want to carry a gun that had been worked over like that. I have a neighbor that used to be a corrections officer. When he had that job he had a trigger job done on his Glock to help him double tap faster (there was a speed he had to be able to do it in to qualify). I shot it before & after the trigger job. I liked it before he had it done. After he had the trigger worked on I shot it again. The trigger afterwards I would estimate at about 2 1/2 to 3 pounds. It was a lot of fun plinking at water bottles & cans but I would be scared to carry a defensive firearm with a trigger that light.

VictorLouis

Single-Sixer
I'm a weirdo. When I added the NY1 coil spring to the last G17 I had, I shot it better.
No two-stage, take-up-the-slack feel, like the OEM trigger. More positive reset.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I have to wonder why a corrections agency has their guards practice double taps. I used to work for a large LE agency and they did not require their cops to do double taps, in fact they strongly discouraged it.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I teach a couple of county cops that drive buses back and forth from prisons in the state. They carry revolvers, I joke with them that the gangbangers probably couldn't figure them out so that must be the reason for the use.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I use to be a Firearms instructor for a Prison in Indiana, 8 years. Never taught to double tap, we used revolvers of course this was several years ago (20 years to be exact). I also would not carry a modified gun that I was going to use for anything but range work, Prosecutors will try and eat you alive if you ever have to go to court. Not that they will be able too for a proper defensive shooting but they sure will try.

5of7

Hunter
Cheesewhiz said:
I was busy searching for any sort of almost professional gunsmith video that came close to referring to polishing a breachface on Youtube, I found none, zip, zero but I'm sure it would be enjoyable as all get out.

It is possible that if you spelled breech face right, you would have had better luck with your search. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bXHq0NuuYg

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=3120

http://robarguns.com/product/gunsmithing-1911-pistols/

dannylightning

Bearcat
it does seem very hard to find good how to gun videos on the internet. i am not expert but man some of these people have no clue at all and do things terribly wrong. actually most videos i have watched are this way, kind of sad people just pump out so much bad info and than keep pumping out bad info on you tube especially

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
dannylightning said:
it does seem very hard to find good how to gun videos on the internet. i am not expert but man some of these people have no clue at all and do things terribly wrong. actually most videos i have watched are this way, kind of sad people just pump out so much bad info and than keep pumping out bad info on you tube especially

Boy, you sure learn quickly.

5of7

Hunter
dannylightning said:

You just gotta be smart enough to know what is BS and what ain't..... 8)

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
5of7 said:
It is possible that if you spelled breech face right, you would have had better luck with your search. :lol:

Thanks for the spelling lesson, perhaps you can help me out with this?

9mm Reload Data

Hornady XTP 110gr .357" diameter

AA#5 7gr.

OAL 1.040"

If it looks familiar, it's because it's your posted reload data in another thread from a day or two ago. The "data" breaks at least 3 different handloading tenants.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=207880&start=15

#1 You are using a bullet not designed for use in the 9mm cartridge. It is .001" in diameter over any reloading data I have ever seen in a manual. Most reloading manuals even goes as far as to state that you should never use a bullet over .356" in diameter, period. It is considered dangerous or they would not put it in the manual.

#2 That powder weight is .2gr higher than the highest new max load data I have found for 9mm using a 100gr bullet and that powder (Hornady #8).The Accurate Data has a listed max for that powder using any 115gr bullet as 6.3 gr and for a Barnes 115 gr HP bullet similar to a XTP it is a max of 5.5gr of #5. You are using an oversized 110gr bullet so I would lean to the 115gr data for this nightmare.

#3 You have an OAL of 1.040" on your "data" and that is ridiculously short for an XTP bullet, the minimum length listed is 1.070" or so, a length that is .030" under the minimum is a recipe for disaster.

You my friend are a hack, a slob when it comes to anything concerning guns and I find it sad that you just throw crap out there for all to see. If you want to destroy your guns fine, go for it just let us know what range you go to so we can stay far away but you posting a dangerous and pathetic loading recipe on this forum is truly a terrible thing to do. You disgust me.

I am now loading the Hornady 110 gr. XTP bullet with 7 grains of AA5 and the F100 primer seated to 1.04" OAL. Velocity is a tad over 1100 fps.

Since the XTP is the proper diameter for my barrel, it shoots better, coming in at 2-2.5" at 40 feet shooting an offhand, 2 hand grip.

The trigger reminds me of the '03 Springfield rifle and makes for some very good aimed shots at a reasonable distance.

I am liking this gun more with each passing day.... 8)

5of7

Hunter
Cheesewhiz said:
5of7 said:

Yeah you sure do you!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

What is your problem? why are you so Hell bent of starting an argument?

You Referred to my suggestion that it might be beneficial to polish the breech face as "stupid" so I explained it to you and even referred you to internet sources--one a professional gun smith--that uses the technique in tuning semi auto pistols.

Are you incapable of accepting the obvious fact that there are things that you "never heard of" that are not all that unusual?

There are doubtless many many things that you never heard of.... :lol:

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
5of7 said:
Cheesewhiz said:
5of7 said:

Yeah you sure do you!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

What is your problem? why are you so Hell bent of starting an argument?

You Referred to my suggestion that it might be beneficial to polish the breech face as "stupid" so I explained it to you and even referred you to internet sources--one a professional gun smith--that uses the technique in tuning semi auto pistols.

Are you incapable of accepting the obvious fact that there are things that you "never heard of" that are not all that unusual?

There are doubtless many many things that you never heard of.... :lol:

You really can't fix stupid.

modrifle3

Buckeye
Mike J said:
I could understand why someone might want to do some of the modifications he showed if they are competing in idpa or uspsa. I would not want to carry a gun that had been worked over like that. I have a neighbor that used to be a corrections officer. When he had that job he had a trigger job done on his Glock to help him double tap faster (there was a speed he had to be able to do it in to qualify). I shot it before & after the trigger job. I liked it before he had it done. After he had the trigger worked on I shot it again. The trigger afterwards I would estimate at about 2 1/2 to 3 pounds. It was a lot of fun plinking at water bottles & cans but I would be scared to carry a defensive firearm with a trigger that light.

Most police qualification drills can be done with a revolver. No offense but your buddy just wanted a trigger job. Most COs I know don't even carry.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
modrifle3 said:
Most police qualification drills can be done with a revolver. No offense but your buddy just wanted a trigger job. Most COs I know don't even carry.

I will not put past anything a local government will put somebody through to keep their job. Almost all admin types have an agenda and about 27 idiot friends or relatives that need a job.