9E

Help Support Ruger Forum:

grant

Bearcat
In another thread someone asked if these are in stores yet. Let me assure you they are, I picked one up today in trade for a 1911 in 9mm I haven't shot in forever. It was an Iver Johnson brand and while a nice gun, limited value.

To the 9E. It is very much like the SR9. The differences have been largely pointed out in another thread, the slide serrations, slide metal, finish...all in my mind different, but equal, except maybe finish -1. It only comes with 1 mag, so let's be honest, that's half the price difference -2. The sights are not adjustable, but mine are dead on out of the box +1. There is no ugly chambered rd indicator +2 and 3. I confirmed at the range that it goes bang with no mag in it...huge +++++.

Overall, great gun as expected, more upside than down and lower price point, mine was asking price of $349 at the LGS.

Good job Ruger.

I'd post a pic, but don't have that ability.

grant

Bearcat
You can see a pic here.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/other-handguns/124304-new-ruger-9e.html

Mike J

Hunter
So it was brand new in the box without a magazine disconnect. That is interesting. It might make the 9E worth consideration if I wanted a striker fired 9mm. I have long disliked Rugers magazine disconnect design.

wvjoetc

Single-Sixer
I was at my lgs yesterday and picked up my LC9S, this gun is everything you would want in a ccw. On now to the point of the thread, the 9E is in stock, I'll be honest I have been a Glock owner, and as soon as I thin my herd on my G's the 9E is on my replacement list. That is about as plain as I can put it, I am a firm believer that if it feels good in your hand you will shoot better. All the other topics have been covered about the 9E, pick one up and see for your self, Ruger has done a great job on these two new additions.

96/44

Blackhawk
If it fires without the mag, it is "defective". Wouldn't bother me a bit, but it was designed with a magazine disconnect.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
96/44 said:
If it fires without the mag, it is "defective". Wouldn't bother me a bit, but it was designed with a magazine disconnect.
Apparently the 9E is not factory equipped with the mag disconnect. I don't know if the slide is machined to accept the one from the SR9 or 9c but it's not provided as an OEM item.

96/44

Blackhawk
22/45 Fan said:
96/44 said:
Apparently the 9E is not factory equipped with the mag disconnect. I don't know if the slide is machined to accept the one from the SR9 or 9c but it's not provided as an OEM item.

I have several on the shelf, and none will fire without the magazine.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Hmm, I wonder if Ruger decided early in the production run to stop putting in the mag safety since the 9E isn't going to be for sale in any place that it is required?

VictorLouis

Single-Sixer
Well, I field-stripped a 9E today at a LGS. Mag disconnect was in-place. Fondled a 2nd one at another LGS. BOTH had triggers better than my SR9, s/n 331-series.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
VictorLouis said:
Well, I field-stripped a 9E today at a LGS. Mag disconnect was in-place. Fondled a 2nd one at another LGS. BOTH had triggers better than my SR9, s/n 331-series.
It's odd that if the mag disconnect is standard that Ruger's web site description of the 9E doesn't mention it at all. The loaded chamber indicator lever is gone but there is a hole in the barrel hood as a visual check so the gun does meet most state's requirements if it really does have a mag disconnect.

VictorLouis

Single-Sixer
22/45 Fan said:
The loaded chamber indicator lever is gone but there is a hole in the barrel hood as a visual check so the gun does meet most state's requirements if it really does have a mag disconnect.

Why couldn't Ruger just paint the top edge of the extractor red. It's a darn good visual and tactile indicator, all by itself.

shawn mccarver

Bearcat
I have no idea what people are seeing or not seeing, but I assure you that the 9E comes from the factory with a magazine disconnect.

It is easily removed despite the slight difference in the way the striker cover plate is held in place.

I wonder if the OP simply attempted to dry fire the 9E without magazine, heard the click, and did not realize that the SR-Series, like certain other Ruger models, will act and sound the same as if the pistol is functioning, i.e. the trigger works, the firing pin releases to an audible click, but you cannot tell from doing so that the firing pin is actually getting arrested by the device, and that it would not have fired had it been attempted with ammo in the pistol.

It is also possible, although unlikely, that the store removed the device. Or, if pre-owned, seems unlikely given how long this variation has been on the market, that the previous owner removed the device.

Giving Ruger the benefit of the doubt, I seriously doubt it made it out of the factory without the magazine disconnect.

Bkcntry163

Bearcat
My first post on this forum and resurrecting an old thread I hope. I just picked up a 9E and was going to remove the mag disconnect but can't figure out how to remove the striker plate. All online instructions are for the standard SR9 which has a different striker plate design. Any help is appreciated.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Bkcntry163 said:
My first post on this forum and resurrecting an old thread I hope. I just picked up a 9E and was going to remove the mag disconnect but can't figure out how to remove the striker plate. All online instructions are for the standard SR9 which has a different striker plate design. Any help is appreciated.
Ruger eliminated the release plunger on the striker cover as an unneeded retainer but removal is just like the older version except you don't have to push in the plunger.

To remove it, field strip the pistol and remove the barrel and recoil spring assembly. Turn the slide bottom up, push and hold the striker safety block button and the magazine blocker in. Then push the striker toward the muzzle with a rod or punch inserted into the hole in the cover plate so it's tail clears the cover plate. The cover plate should pull out at that point. You can use the rod in the plate's hole as a lever to get it started and then it removes by hand.