LC9s has a SWEET trigger!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rei40c

Blackhawk
FergusonTO35 said:
The LC9S just keeps sounding better all the time. Ruger should've done that from the start.

I'm going to my LGS tomorrow to sell a pistol. If the lc9s is there. I can't promise anyone I won't come home with one. Still though, I really wanted the walther PPS... but that price. We'll see how well I control my impulse buying. I've gotta at least ask to see it right?, since I'm already there and all. 8)

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I looked at the PPS but I think it's pricey and needlessly complex for what it is. What's the deal with having to remove the grip backstrap to field strip? Also many have told me that Walther is very stingy about selling parts on this model.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
FergusonTO35 said:
I looked at the PPS but I think it's pricey and needlessly complex for what it is. What's the deal with having to remove the grip backstrap to field strip? Also many have told me that Walther is very stingy about selling parts on this model.

I got to handle it tonight but I'm almost ashamed to say here (I walked out with a new G26 Gen 4). Do I have to leave the forums now? :lol:

As for the PPS well, it felt great. Your right about the backstrap thing and it's also tied to some kind of strange safety I believe. You take it off and the gun becomes inoperable so it's a locking device as well. Why? Good question.

The PPS trigger is excellent 9 out of 10. The sites also excellent 9/10. The sites use a bigger version of the traditional 3 dot sites, it has very large dots which make aiming at close range extremely rapid. The magazine release I was disappointed in. I expected the Euro style vertical swing of the lever and don't fault it for it's design. I did not expect the cheapish feeling it had, on a full sized gun I think the style of mag release would be fine. On a narrow grip pistol it made activating it very difficult and it was not a positive release. Pulling the PPS mag release lever was like a very mushy trigger where your never sure where it's going to break and the mag would actually release.

In a twist of irony the clerk suggested the LC9 to me. I thought of you guys :lol: . I asked if they had the new LC9s and he said no just the hammer versions. I said no thanks as I've already fired it and didn't like it.

My 40c will remain my carry until I've fired the Glock. I plan to summer carry the G26 and stick with the 40c for all other times.

Saw a good picture of this new LC9s in the classifieds, there is member there who is a dealer I think in Texas and has a few for sale, .... I have to say I like the looks (except for the stupid trigger)... and it sounds like the trigger pull is nice... I can probably live with the safety .... am considering one of these seriously....

FergusonTO35

Hunter
So the PPS is no bang bang without the backstrap in place. That sounds like a poor design for a defensive pistol which needs to be as simple and reliable as possible. I won't be getting one for sure.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
FergusonTO35 said:
So the PPS is no bang bang without the backstrap in place. That sounds like a poor design for a defensive pistol which needs to be as simple and reliable as possible. I won't be getting one for sure.

Exactly, I gotta say it's a quality piece and I still admire some aspects of it. But for the asking price as I was at the counter I really needed to be "wowed" into thinking this gun was without a doubt worth the asking price. I wanted to love it that much and truth be told it was the one I was hoping for when I walked into the store. The fact is the G26 beat it in almost every respect. And I came to that conclusion grudgingly, again I wanted the Walther to win out and feel worth it in my hands. It just simply did not.

The Walther PPS story has already really played out and I'm just now rediscovering why. A great gun that is at the wrong price point I think. It's sales numbers have been low. I approached as a fan of the PPS, I didn't purchase it, as others have not and I now see why it's losing out firsthand. The tragic part is it's not because of the pistol itself, it's the marketing that surrounds it that I suppose demands $150 or even $250 more then it's competitors.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I spent some time with my Kel-Tec PF9 yesterday and I do believe that it will eventually be retired in favor of an LC9S at some point. There is nothing wrong with my PF9. Mine is 100% reliable and will easily put rounds into a bad guy at typical defensive ranges. It's a very good pistol for its price point and intended purpose. However it has a very long trigger pull that causes me to shoot low often times, it is too lightweight for a 9mm pistol, and flings brass into the next county. The latter two problems would likely be taken care of if this pistol was chambered in .380 Auto but alas it is not.

I think the LC9S just might remedy all these problems. Much better trigger pull, about 5 ounces more weight, and videos suggest it ejects brass not too far away and in a predictable pattern. Right now the only pistol I can think of that might work as well is the Kahr CM9, whose trigger is better than the PF9 but still gives me problems.

At the local LGS today, just looking, and a S&W Shield in 9mm caught my eye. The clerk smiled at me, and then said, "if you like the Shield, wait until you look at the new Ruger that just came in". He pulled out an LC9s. I immediately liked the lightness of this gun, and the feel of it in my hand, and the nice trigger sealed the deal. Bought it at $379 (I have no idea if that is a good deal or not). I have to wait 3 days before I can pick it up and get to shoot it. I think this will likely replace two of my carry guns: the LCP which I find too "snappy" and hard to shoot with any accuracy, and the sr40c which gets a bit heavy for carrying. This is my first 9mm, which seems like a compromise caliber between the 380 and the 40S&W.

HIP SHOT

Bearcat
vito said:
At the local LGS today, just looking, and a S&W Shield in 9mm caught my eye. The clerk smiled at me, and then said, "if you like the Shield, wait until you look at the new Ruger that just came in". He pulled out an LC9s. I immediately liked the lightness of this gun, and the feel of it in my hand, and the nice trigger sealed the deal. Bought it at $379 (I have no idea if that is a good deal or not). I have to wait 3 days before I can pick it up and get to shoot it. I think this will likely replace two of my carry guns: the LCP which I find too "snappy" and hard to shoot with any accuracy, and the sr40c which gets a bit heavy for carrying. This is my first 9mm, which seems like a compromise caliber between the 380 and the 40S&W.

Your going to love the gun! I have 2 now and both shoot great. My friends that have tried the guns immediately went to their dealers to order one. I guess I will try to sell my LC9 hammer guns.

Hip Shot

camper

Bearcat
Held one at my LGS today and the trigger is great! Will be trading my XDs 45 2-tone for one in late September. Had the regular LC9, but my arthritic trigger finger didn't like the trigger.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I examined one at the fun store yesterday and man it does have a sweet pull. Love the metal trigger that feels like it should be on a much more expensive (SIG, HK) gun. Ruger really ought to have put this trigger on the SR series.