Frustrated semi-auto Noob with an SR40c problem/question.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DukeMinski

Bearcat
This is the 2nd time I've had the SR40c at the range and experienced several jams/misfeeds and FTF's.
Using Fiocchi 170gr FMJ and Winchester white box 165gr FMJ.
Used maybe 15 rounds out of each box and had 3 or 4 misfeeds and 3 or 4 FTF's (light strikes, primers were dimpled) on both brands of ammo.
Also, after inserting a loaded magazine, had several instances where the weapon wound not go fully into battery. Slide would go about half-way forward and the round would "bind up" going into the chamber.
Spent more time clearing the weapon than I did actually shooting the weapon.

Switched to my Sig P250c and put 50 rounds of 9mm thru it with no problems.
Getting frustrated with the SR40c.

What gives?
Bad ammo?
Dirty weapon?
Operator error?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
DukeMinski said:
This is the 2nd time I've had the SR40c at the range and experienced several jams/misfeeds and FTF's.
Using Fiocchi 170gr FMJ and Winchester white box 165gr FMJ.
Used maybe 15 rounds out of each box and had 3 or 4 misfeeds and 3 or 4 FTF's (light strikes, primers were dimpled) on both brands of ammo.
Also, after inserting a loaded magazine, had several instances where the weapon wound not go fully into battery. Slide would go about half-way forward and the round would "bind up" going into the chamber.
Spent more time clearing the weapon than I did actually shooting the weapon.

Switched to my Sig P250c and put 50 rounds of 9mm thru it with no problems.
Getting frustrated with the SR40c.

What gives?
Bad ammo?
Dirty weapon?
Operator error?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

I would give it one more try but have someone else with a good amount of experience also shoot it, not saying anything but another's opinion is most often a good thing.
If it doesn't work right after that, give Ruger a call.

DukeMinski

Bearcat
Cheesewhiz;
Thanks for the input. I don't pretend to know much about semi-auto's.
Did all my learnin' on revolvers.
There are a couple of LGS's in the area that have gunsmiths on staff.
May take it to one of them & let them check it out.
Thanks again.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I just would look for a range rat first and ask for some help, they don't bite and normally are more than willing to try to pump 10 rounds of your ammo down range. I help guys and girls all the time, it makes me feel good.

jprit

Bearcat
You might try polishing the feed ramp. My SR9C had similar issues, and hand polishing with a Meguiars metal polish remedied the problem. The SR9C came from factory with miniscule machine marks on feed ramp. A little elbow grease did the job, no need to use a dremel or other mechanical assist. Be sure there is no polish residue in chamber/barrel before firing.

DukeMinski

Bearcat
***UPDATE***
I posted the same question on another gun forum & one of the members suggested checking the extractor.
The idea being that maybe the base of the cartridge was hanging on the extractor claw as the round was fed up by the mag.
Here's my reply to him after checking the extractor...

-username-;
1) Disassembled weapon per your instructions and checked extractor resistance.
Slight upward pressure on the round will slide it up the breech face & under the extractor claw. No undue pressure required.
Tried the same thing with my P250c and they feel about the same.

2) Reassembled weapon and loaded all 3 mag's with the Winchester 165gr FMJ's.

3) With the slide forward, inserted a mag, slapped it on the bottom to make sure it was seated properly.

4) Racked slide to load a round and first round jammed half-way into breech.

5) Looking more closely I noticed the firing pin is protruding out of the breech face. It appears the rim of the cartridge is caught against the firing pin.

6) Cleared the weapon, racked the slide in order to cock the striker, and let the slide forward (with the striker still cocked).

7) Inserted a mag, racked the slide, and it fed the round without a problem.

8) Repeated step #7 with all 3 mags and all 3 fed just fine.

9) Cleared the weapon, dry fired the weapon, and repeated step #3.

10) Steps #4 and #5 occurred again.

Is the firing pin supposed to protrude from the breech face after firing?
Could it be a malfunctioning striker spring?

Another possibility is a user/maintenance error.
Last time I cleared it I removed the striker, cleaned it & the striker bore, lubricated (lightly) with gun oil and re-assembled.
Could it be that I damaged the striker spring during clearing?
Used a cleaning rod with a .22 patch to clean the striker bore.
Could it be that I just pushed the gunk/dirt further down into the striker bore, causing it to hang
?

Over on that forum, suggestions are . . .
a) worn out striker spring, or
b) I over lubricated the striker/striker bore (or didn't clean it well enough and then over-lubricated).

What do you guys think???

websterz

Single-Sixer
I cured my light strike problem by polishing my striker body with Mother's Mag Polish. The larger diameter areas on the striker body are bearing surfaces where it rides inside the striker channel. Polishing them to a mirror finish reduces drag. I then used long cotton swabs and compressed air to clean the extractor channel. Thoroughly cleaned and polished the striker area requires no lubrication, and in fact is best left clean and dry.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I guess you could have turned your striker into a hydraulic cylinder with oil being trapped in there.

I never lube strikers, mine all have plastic bearing cups that don't need to be lubed and I wouldn't lube it's channel either. I do use a little Hornady cleaner/light silicone spray, One Shot for areas like this.

My SR9's striker does not stick out beyond the breach face, how are you seeing it after it is fired? Pulling the slide back even just a little resets it (cocks it).

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
Have you tried cleaning your striker channel, making sure to clean it of any debris? When I first bought my SR9c had some grease in the striker channel. One of my rounds ruptured a primer and put enough debris in the striker channel to cause similar issues.

Charlie

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
firm grip, locked wrist. do not let your wrist act as a shock absorber. revolver is more forgiving, press trigger, go bang, next shot ready. the slide on your 40c needs to work back and forth all the way. also make sure your weapon has nothing in the striker channel except the striker. no grease no oil and no debris. lightly lube pistol, too much will attract dirt and foul the action. sling shot the slide when chambering a round. do not let it move slowly. short action pistols need certain fundamentals more so than full size weapons. they can be some what fussy but likely your 40c will not be. mine is a peach. I did do a small amount of polishing on the feed ramp and in the chamber but not really much and only because I like to tinker. it is a heck of a good shooter! I predict you will love little girl as much as I love mine. perhaps the most impressive thing is the accuracy.

DukeMinski

Bearcat
pjv;
Thank you for the reminder not to limp-wrist the SR40c.
Each time I shoot it I am concentrating on a good solid stance with a firm grip.
And in my own defense, I have not had any problems like these with the Sig P250c.

Everyone;
I appreciate the suggestions and input.
Unfortunately work is really busy this week & I may not get back to the range until the week-end.
In the meantime, I will remove & clean the striker/striker bore.
I'll give an update as soon as I can.

DukeMinski

Bearcat
Cheesewhiz;
You're correct, when I action the slide it cocks the striker.
Inserting a mag at that point and racking the slide with even moderate aggresiveness (see pjv's comment about " ...sling shot the slide... ") will feed a round every time...as long as the striker is cocked first.
It's when I haven't cocked the striker that the rim of the case catches the firing pin.
When I clear the weapon, drop the striker, and then s-l-o-w-l-y ease the slide back just enough to look into the breach (maybe not even 1/4") I can see the firing pin protruding from the breach face.
I can ease the slide all the way back and the firing pin still sticks out of the breech face. Easing the slide forward, it feels like the the striker finally cocks just before the breeches closes (maybe the last 1/2" to 1/4" of forward movement).
Spent the last 20 minutes loading mags into the decocked pistol and racking the slide, aggresively, and it hangs up every time.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Duke when is the trigger resetting? Is it resetting after the slide is pulled back just a bit or not until it starts going forward from the fully open position?

... and please stop cycling live rounds through this gun, that's how accidents happen.

DukeMinski

Bearcat
Cheese;
Ok, striker has been removed and cleaned with spray solvent to remove lubricant. Striker bore also cleaned out with spray solvent.
Both dried using a can of compressed air.
Both are as clean & dry as I can get them.

Trigger reset test...
a) Weapon is cleared, no mag, empty chamber, striker is dropped.
b) Right index finger on the trigger (lightly, just to feel any movement in the trigger).
c) Ease the slide back slowly with the left hand.
d) Slide goes all the back, as far as it will go, no trigger reset.
e) Start easing the slide forward.
f) Slide is almost all the way forward.
g) Feel the trigger reset with maybe 1/8" before breech fully closed.

Should the trigger reset before that point?

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
It sounds like that it is working as it should. Now short cycle it, no rounds please, just pull it back a quarter inch or so and let it go forward and it should also reset. if it hangs up that could be an issue, it should always go forward without a round coming from a magazine.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
DukeMinski said:
Yes, trigger resets after a short cycle.

Your trigger group and the reset of it seem fine. There is a possibility that if your striker is really dragging on the back of the casings there may be a timing issue within the gun and it should go back to Ruger for that. There is also the possibility that the gun is short cycling a bit and that is causing this. It could be a "limp wrist", I hate those words because that actually could be caused by other things and not the shooter per se and just breaking in the gun may solve this. I would again say that getting somebody that really has shot some guns in his life to take some shots with it should eliminate all doubt.

modrifle3

Buckeye
If under the 2 year mark, I always recommend sending the gun back to Ruger. It is free and it will be fixed. It isn't like a gun with no warrantee or one you have to pay to fix.

I am kinda up in the air about taking a Ruger to a gunsmith, because frankly Ruger service is free and so good that there are few that even know what to do with one. It isn't like 10/22s, Revolvers or Mark pistols that have a huge following in the aftermarket world. And if fixable, at most you will usually pay is $30 for shipping.

freedomcosts

Single-Sixer
I had to stop using Win. White Box. I was having light strikes, and misfeeds- sent to Ruger, it worked great- except with WWB. Mine fires everything, steel case, cheapest stuff I can find- have fored at least 6 kinds of JHPs and no problems- but WWB sometimes won't shoot. Before going too far, I'd try some dofferent ammo, too. Seems over the last few years, many of us had trouble with that WWB.

DukeMinski

Bearcat
Guys;
Thanks for the feedback.
Sorry I can't respond in a more timely manner but with work and other stuff, sometimes I just can't get to the forum every day.

Cheese; Thanks for the advice. please keep it coming.

Mod & Freedom;
Thanks for joining the thread, appreciate the input.
What brands of ammo have you used that seem to give the best results?