Frustrated semi-auto Noob with an SR40c problem/question.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DukeMinski

Bearcat
OK…here's an update.
Bought two more boxes of ammo…
1) Federal Personal Defense (blue box) 180gr JHP,
2) Remington HTP (green & yellow box) 155gr JHP.
Went to the range yesterday and followed this procedure…
*With an empty/cleared weapon, racked the slide to cock the striker.
*Returned slide to the forward position.
*Inserted a magazine loaded with 5 rounds.
*Racked slide to chamber round.
*Fired the weapon.
*Repeated the process, rotating thru 3 different magazines (two 15-round mags and a 10-round), 5 rounds each time.
I tested all four brands of ammo using this procedure and here are the results:
Federal Personal Defense (blue box) 180gr JHP = fired 20 rounds. Had no FTF/light strikes –and- no feed errors/jams.
Remington HTP (green & yellow box) 155gr JHP = fired 20 rounds. Had one FTF/light strike (dimpled the primer) –and- no feed errors/jams.
Winchester white box 165gr FMJ = fired 10 rounds. Had two FTF/light strikes (dimpled the primers) –and- no feed errors/jams.
Fiocchi 170gr FMJ = fired 10 rounds. Had three FTF/light strikes (dimpled the primers) –and- two feed errors/jams on the first mag. Tried the 2nd mag and got similar results. Two or three FTF's along with two or three jams on the 2nd mag.

My conclusions:
1) May have a mechanical issue with the gun resulting in light-strikes. Will reach out to local resources for further testing to confirm.
2) I definitely have operator error-type issues (probably error code "iD10t" ) with this gun. At this time, I am just not comfortable/competent enough with this weapon to shoot it on a regular basis.
3) My revolvers and Sig P250c have spoiled me rotten.

Sorry for the long post.
I'm tired of dealing with this thing, so I may step away from the thread for a few days.

Thank you, everyone, for your patience and assistance.

diablos30

Bearcat
have you removed the magazine disconnect? i bought my sr when they first came out and was having some light strike issues, as soon as i removed the mag disconnect the issue disappeared. never had any feed issues, but i did have some extractor problems which turned out to be a sr9 extract got put in some of the early guns. once i swapped it for the correct part this pistol has been dead reliable.

freedomcosts

Single-Sixer
One quick suggestion I always make- if you want it worked on, and since you have other handguns, send this one to Ruger. It has happened that a gun was fixed, still wouldn't work, other problems develop- so I always recommend sending it to Ruger. Then if serious issues develop later, Ruger has a record- and they can't say (which I don't think they would!) the other g'smith caused it.

modrifle3

Buckeye
hittman said:
freedomcosts said:
send this one to Ruger.

Excellent advice. In the time it's taken for this thread to evolve, the gun could have already been to Prescott, repaired properly, and returned; free.

Worked with my LC9 that way.

I agree trying to resolve major function issues with a new Ruger is not worth the trouble. Ruger has the best repair service in the business with the ability to change every part in the gun. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with learning to work on guns...just with Rugers there is little we can do with out the ability to direct purchase certain parts.

DukeMinski

Bearcat
Guys, thanks for the advice.
I will take all suggestions into consideration & provide updates as the situation develops.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
hittman said:
freedomcosts said:
send this one to Ruger.

Excellent advice. In the time it's taken for this thread to evolve, the gun could have already been to Prescott, repaired properly, and returned; free.

Worked with my LC9 that way.

Seconded, I applaud your determination but it's time for it to fly back to the mother ship. :lol: I'm about as far away from Prescott as it is physically possible to be (east coast) and still be inside the US and it only took mine 9 days to go and return fixed.

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
if you have access to a dremel try polishing the feed ramp and the chamber. I have had pistols (XDs .45 3.3 is one of them) that required this treatment. afterward feed and function was perfect. might just save you the headache of a return to the mothership.

DukeMinski

Bearcat
UPDATE: Local gunsmith has the weapon. Having him check it & determine the real problem. Will check back with him this week.

Thanks again for the comments/suggestions.
I appreciate everyones' assistance.

modrifle3

Buckeye
pjvrefugee said:
if you have access to a dremel try polishing the feed ramp and the chamber. I have had pistols (XDs .45 3.3 is one of them) that required this treatment. afterward feed and function was perfect. might just save you the headache of a return to the mothership.

You might want to clarify that polish means with buffing compound not a sanding drum or stone.

I still maintain that it should go back to Ruger. I believe new guns should work and why pay a gunsmith to look at it.

Mike J

Hunter
modrifle3 said:
pjvrefugee said:

You might want to clarify that polish means with buffing compound not a sanding drum or stone.

I still maintain that it should go back to Ruger. I believe new guns should work and why pay a gunsmith to look at it.

I agree with this. You should give Ruger the opportunity to correct whatever is wrong. They have a really good reputation for customer service so why not let them have a crack at it.

joeb1

Bearcat
I also have a problem with the trigger not resetting, with the 15 round mag, I use the index finger of my left hand to push it forward.

Just got back from the range.
All with the 15 round mag.
15 rounds = trigger jams. Used index finger of left hand to reset.
9 rounds = trigger fine
10 rounds = trigger fine
11 rounds = trigger fine
12 rounds = trigger fine
13 rounds = trigger fine.
Ran out of ammo.
Didn't get to try 14 rounds.
I will try again next week and let you know what happens.

Is there a known problem with the fully loaded 15 round mag?

FergusonTO35

Hunter
How many rounds total do you have through the pistol? Does it work 100% with the short mags? If what you have listed in your post are all the rounds the pistol has ever fired you may need nothing more than a good cleaning and a few hundred rounds to get everything broken in. If that doesn't solve it, contact Ruger and they will make it right.

The SR9C I had did the exact same thing with the full size mags. With the short 10 rounders it was 100%. I think there is something with the dimensions of the longer mag that causes it to interfere with the trigger bar on the compact models. I don't like long mags in a compact pistol so I never bothered to do anything about it.

louchia

Single-Sixer
I do not have an SR40 but I believe the fire pin safety is the same as other semis. In order for the fire pin to move forward, a plunger in the fire pin block next to the pin has to be moved upward. This typically is done when the trigger is pulled. It is the fire pin safety feature. If that plunger is stuck or the plunger spring is bad, the fire pin will move forward somewhat freely. A good flushing out of the fire pin block with something like Gun Scrubber and blow dry with compressed air may fix the issue.

joeb1

Bearcat
Thanks for your input.

I have put a couple of hundred rounds. The problem as far as I can tell WAS with the 15 round mag. Yesterday with first two 15 rnds I had trigger problem. Next three times with same mag were fine. Maybe it finally worked itself out. I'll find out next week.

As far as the long mag goes, it's in my side pocket, (cargo pants Tech Pocket).
Partially loaded (12 rounds). The 9 round is in the gun when I carry it.

FergusonTO35 said:
How many rounds total do you have through the pistol? Does it work 100% with the short mags? If what you have listed in your post are all the rounds the pistol has ever fired you may need nothing more than a good cleaning and a few hundred rounds to get everything broken in. If that doesn't solve it, contact Ruger and they will make it right.

The SR9C I had did the exact same thing with the full size mags. With the short 10 rounders it was 100%. I think there is something with the dimensions of the longer mag that causes it to interfere with the trigger bar on the compact models. I don't like long mags in a compact pistol so I never bothered to do anything about it.

jimmyjsr40

Bearcat
Go to Galloway Precision and look at some of the aftermarket springs, etc. they have available. I think some of the SR models had light strike problems. I have a Sr40 And SR40c. I got with Galloway and installed their spring and new guide rods. Have not had a single problem with either of my Rugers.