striker vs hammer

Help Support Ruger Forum:

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
Hammer fired would offer two potential advantages.

1) A hammer fired pistol should impart a heavier impact to the primer - thus making misfires less likely.

2) DA/SA auto pistols such as the Walther PP, the Ruger SR22 and Ruger P345, allow the user to cock the hammer in order to obtain a lighter crisper trigger pull. The SA pull on my Walther PP pistols is markedly crisper and cleaner than on my Glock 19s. Since DAO auto pistols cannot be cocked, this advantage disappears.

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
striker fired offers the same trigger press from start to finish. no long stiff first shot , just one consistent pull to get used to. generally a nice crisp 5-6 pounds.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I like a striker for a carry weapon. It is a longish pull, but many, like my SR9c, are in the 5 to 6 lb range. As was stated before, it is the same pull regardless of first, or subsequent round out of the magazine.

I like an SA hammer fired for a range weapon. They are much crisper with a short pull.

There is nothing wrong with a hammer for carry. You must, however, deal with a DA first pull, and SA for the rest of the mag. This assumes an SA/DA with a decocker. Of course, the other option is to cock the weapon after pull from holster. Not a great option in my mind. 1911 style are normally carried cocked and locked. DAO are just too long and heavy a pull for my tastes, but work for lots of people.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I like striker fire for my autos and DA/SA for my wheelguns. I can't shoot most autos or small revolvers double action well at all. I can shoot my Service Six and S&W 10-5 quite well in double action, and make one ragged hole single action. I am getting to the point that I can split the difference accuracy wise with my Glock 19, which I am quite happy with for a combat pistol.

Currently my Kel-Tec PF9 is my main CCW gun. It's easy to carry, super dependable, and I can shoot it about as good as I can my wheel guns double action. I am very much looking forward to the new LC9S. Almost the same size as the PF9 and uses the same holsters, Ruger quality, doesn't fling brass into the next county, and (fingers crossed) a much improved trigger pull for under $400.00 real world price.

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
my three favorite carry weapons are the SR9c, SR40c and XDS 45. simple, accurate and reliable. also all three are very accurate.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I would say there are both striker fired and hammer fired guns that range from fine designs to close to pretty poor designs and executions of said designs. It really comes down to a preference of the entire gun and it's firing type. I own both and have no real preference in the triggers alone, it really amounts to the whole package.

robkarrob

Bearcat
No one answered the OP question. The following is over simplified.

We are talking pistols - Hammer fired:

Single action - The hammer is fully back, held back by the sear (like a revolver with the hammer back). The trigger pull drops the sear, which releases the hammer. The hammer falls forward and impacts the firing pin which is driven forward, to contact the primer (boom).

Double action - The hammer is partially back (like a double action revolver). Pulling the trigger causes the hammer to be fully pulled back, and at the fully back stage it then reverts to single action, described above.

Pistol - Striker fired

The striker is similar to a firing pin, except that it is spring loaded. When the slide is racked, the striker is fully cocked back and under spring pressure, held back by the sear. When the trigger is pulled, the sear drops and the striker is released, which moves forward, striking the primer (boom).

So single action hammer fired and striker fired are very similar. The difference is the hammer is released and strikes the firing pin, which is driven forward and impacts the primer. The striker is released and impacts the primer. The striker has fewer parts (no hammer), and is usually lighter weight and less expensive to make.

A striker fired gun is similar to a fully cocked 1911. The pull of the trigger releases the hammer or striker, and the gun goes boom. Both generally have internal safeties that will not allow the gun to fire, if dropped, etc., unless the trigger has been pulled back a little. Both can be made to have a short, light trigger pulls.

The double action pistol is like a double action revolver, you can't lighten the pull too much or you can get light hits, and the trigger pull is longer.

There are a few pistols that have a combination of both double action and single action. The first pull of the trigger is like a double action revolver, and then the pull is like a single action revolver. The issue with this type of pistol is you have to adjust to two completely different trigger pulls.

Pros and cons between striker fired and hammer fired pistols are a matter of individual preference. I have all three, a single action, a double action, and striker fired pistols. Since the single action and striker fired have shorter trigger pulls, and less pull weight, I prefer them. Now choices are going to vary depending on the use of the pistol.

Bob

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
Pistol - Striker fired

The striker is similar to a firing pin, except that it is spring loaded. When the slide is racked, the striker is fully cocked back and under spring pressure, held back by the sear. When the trigger is pulled, the sear drops and the striker is released, which moves forward, striking the primer (boom).

This describes some striker fired pistols such as the Raven, but it does not describe them all. For example, the Glock striker is not fully cocked when the slide is racked. It is only partially cocked. The Glock trigger moves the striker to the equivalent of a full cock position and then releases it.

modrifle3

Buckeye
In general striker fired pistols offer two major advantages:

1. They are usually cheaper for a pistol in the same class as a hammer gun. The manufacturing process is shorter due to fewer parts resulting in this lower price. Easier to design and manufacture = low cost.

2. In a carry role they are usually slimmer with smaller slides and few external controls to get caught on things. My preference if carrying a striker weapon is a Glock as I prefer the fact the striker is not at full set until the trigger is pulled. If the striker were to break and fall, there is not enough energy to ignite the primer. Glock is unique in this, pistols such as the SR and XD have a fully set striker if cocked. Not sure about the M&P and my understanding is the SD series is a true DA striker pistol. I have no experince with them other than a few dry fires at a LGS. XD offers a safety version but are rare. The proper training and holster are a must for any weapon, but to me striker guns increase the need.

The cons to a striker gun is that most have a mushy trigger and some like the SR have a soft breaking point so it takes training to learn the take up and break. The trigger on a higer end hammer gun such as a beretta or sig beat most striker guns I have shot.

I am a hammer gun guy, but own both. I like to carry DA/SA hammer autos due to their natural safe state of carry with the hammer down. In DA state you have to make a decision to pull the trigger. Unless you are under extreme stress, there is no ND with a hammer down DA auto. I rarely carry my 1911, but if I do, it is hammer at half cock position. I know people will ding me for this, but I have 3 very personal reasons for this extra level of safety and they range in age from 3 to 11 years old.

I would also clarify that I am speaking of civilian carry, I have no issues with duty or military carry of striker weapons or SA cocked and locked carry.

No matter which you decide on, both are wonderful. It is important to determine what you will do with it and how.
Carry it?
Just at the range?
Get a great holster and don't be afraid to try a lot of them and spend some money. I hear people say they can't afford a $100 holster that fits well and is safe. If thats the case you most likely can't afford the legal cost incured with a legitimate shooting, much less the medical cost of shooting yourself trying to wrestle your gun out of a crappy $20 holster. Same goes with ammo. For carry, get good ammo and train with it. I hear people say they are not willing to buy ammo that is $30 for 20 rounds and practice with it. You need to practice with your carry ammo. Not a lot, but you should never buy on box of carry ammo and not test fire a few mags. A 124 gr 9mm SD round functions differently than a 115gr fmj in my LC9.

Most importantly, train, train and train some more. Training is the difference between life and death, whether we are talking about shooting at cans in the back yard, at the range or carrying down the street.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Very good writeup! I must clarify that the Ruger SR series has a partially cocked firing pin at rest like the Glock does. Lots of practice and a good holster is just as important as what gun and ammo you choose.

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
I am a hammer gun guy, but own both. I like to carry DA/SA hammer autos due to their natural safe state of carry with the hammer down. In DA state you have to make a decision to pull the trigger. Unless you are under extreme stress, there is no ND with a hammer down DA auto. I rarely carry my 1911, but if I do, it is hammer at half cock position. I know people will ding me for this, but I have 3 very personal reasons for this extra level of safety and they range in age from 3 to 11 years old.

I'm afraid I have to ding you for this. Carrying the 1911 pistol at half cock is the most dangerous way to carry it (if the chamber is loaded. Should the half cock notch fail, the hammer can strike with enough force to fire the pistol. This can easily happen if the weapon is dropped. It is somewhat like carrying a fully loaded Colt SAA on half cock. Some 1911s have an internal safety that prevents firing unless the trigger is pulled, but I am still a little leery of carrying a 1911 that way.

modrifle3

Buckeye
charlesappel said:

I'm afraid I have to ding you for this. Carrying the 1911 pistol at half cock is the most dangerous way to carry it (if the chamber is loaded. Should the half cock notch fail, the hammer can strike with enough force to fire the pistol. This can easily happen if the weapon is dropped. It is somewhat like carrying a fully loaded Colt SAA on half cock. Some 1911s have an internal safety that prevents firing unless the trigger is pulled, but I am still a little leery of carrying a 1911 that way.

Intersting . . . I have a Remington R1 that I have test at half cock several times and it doesn't even dent the primer. The R1 will drop the hammer if the trigger is pulled. Not sure at this point if all will or not. This is the only one I carry.

Now you have me thinking twice about it.

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
Intersting . . . I have a Remington R1 that I have test at half cock several times and it doesn't even dent the primer. The R1 will drop the hammer if the trigger is pulled. Not sure at this point if all will or not. This is the only one I carry.

Now you have me thinking twice about it.

I am told that this is normal behavior for the Remington R1 - but I am very "old school" and it would bother me. A
quick Internet search indicates the at least some 1911 pistols using the Series 80 type safety system will also allow
the hammer to fall if the trigger is pulled while at half cock. Once again, this would worry me.

However, my primary concern isn't that the trigger will drop the hammer. I am concerned about a sharp blow to the
hammer or the pistol landing hammer down on a hard surface. This could shear the notch and cause the pistol to fire.

BTW: My Ruger SR1911 will not drop the hammer from the half cock position when the trigger is pulled and neither
would any of the older Colt 1911s I have worked with.

modrifle3

Buckeye
I need to see if my Springers will ... Can't believe I never tested this. The R1 is 80 series type so impact discharge is not a concern, but I wish the hammer did not fall at half cock. I rarely carry the 1911 any way. If I feel I need full size max firepower (I rarely do) I grab the Glock 21.

modrifle3

Buckeye
FergusonTO35 said:
Very good writeup! I must clarify that the Ruger SR series has a partially cocked firing pin at rest like the Glock does. Lots of practice and a good holster is just as important as what gun and ammo you choose.

Thank you for the clarification on that. I was not aware of that.

robkarrob

Bearcat
Most all modern 1911 style pistols have internal safeties. They prevent the gun from firing, as they block the firing pin, unless the trigger is pulled back some. Not all have this, but the major manufacturers do. Then you have the guys that want a very short pull trigger, and they end up removing this safety, in favor of the short pull. This might be fine for a range/competition gun, but not for a SD weapon.

Bob

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
robkarrob said:
Most all modern 1911 style pistols have internal safeties. They prevent the gun from firing, as they block the firing pin, unless the trigger is pulled back some. Not all have this, but the major manufacturers do. Then you have the guys that want a very short pull trigger, and they end up removing this safety, in favor of the short pull. This might be fine for a range/competition gun, but not for a SD weapon.

Bob

Bob, I would say that both Ruger and Springfield are "major" manufacturers, both of their 1911 offerings are 70 series types, no blocks are involved in their trigger groups.

gc70

Bearcat
modrifle3 said:
The R1 has a hammer with a flat shelf at the half-cock position, which is common to 1911s with firing pin safeties. If you pull the trigger when the hammer is in the half-cock position, there is nothing to prevent the sear from rotating away from the hammer and off of the shelf, allowing the hammer to drop.

The original 1911 hammer design has a notch at the half-cock position. If you pull the trigger when the hammer is in the half-cock position, the nose of the sear is trapped in the notch and cannot rotate away from the hammer.

charlesappel said:
However, my primary concern isn't that the trigger will drop the hammer. I am concerned about a sharp blow to the hammer or the pistol landing hammer down on a hard surface. This could shear the notch and cause the pistol to fire.
It would require quite a blow to break a hammer. It is more likely that a severe blow, or dropping a 1911, might depress the grip safety, allowing momentum to effectively "pull" the trigger and fire the gun.

dakota1911

Buckeye
I will give my view of it. Two things I consider is options for carrying with a live round in the chamber and what do you do if you have a dud when you pull the trigger.

Starting with a SA 1911 pistol, or a couple of them. A 1978 Colt 1911 on the top made in 1978 and a new Colt Series 70 in SS made in 2013 on the bottom.

You can carry with the hammer down on a live round. Considered a very bad idea even though there is the grip safety. You could carry it on half cock. Again a bad idea and you would have to cock it to fire, but again there is the grip safety. Lastly, and recommended by most folk is to fully cock it and engage the thumb safety. To fire you release the thumb safety and pull the trigger. Of course by holding onto the pistol the grip safety is off. In case of a dud the first thing you might try is to recock the hammer and pull the trigger again. I added the new Series 70 because Colt elected to put a Series 80 hammer in it so there is no true half cock, just a little shelf that will hopefully catch the hammer if your thumb slips while cocking, and, as noted, while on this little shelf if you pull the trigged the hammer will drop slightly, but not enough to fire the pistol. Other 1911s with Series 80 systems also have this not halfcock feature.

As for striker fire you can have DAO and what I like to call staged where the striker is mostly cocked. Below is a Taurus Millenium Pro on top which is a DAO striker fired pistol. Just like a cap pistol, every time you pull the trigger it goes click. This pistol also has a thumb safety and a heavy trigger pull since you are cocking the striker every time you pull the trigger. In case of a dud the first thing you might try is to pull the trigger again. Below that is a Glock 36 where the striker is partly cocked and you pull the trigger to go bang. In case of a dud you would have to pull the slide back, ejecting the round and recocking the striker.

There are of course DAO hammer fired pistols. Below is an AMT backup. Just like that Taurus it goes click every time you pull the trigger and you see the little hammer come back and drop. You can in no way reach in with your thumbnail or something and cock the hammer.

There is also what I consider to be at least one 1911 variant that is sort of a stage fire. That is my little Para Carry with Para's LDA (Light Double Action) trigger.

You stage it when you pull the slide back. At this point the hammer is just over a mm back further. You pull the trigger to go bang, but if you have a dud you have to pull the slide back to recock it. There is no cocking the hammer with your fingernail or something. You carry this with the thumb safety on but it is not obvious that the hammer is cocked.

Lastly there is the SA/DA with a hammer drop safety and time for a Ruger. In this case a P90. There were DAO version of this made I think. A lot of folk think they are the best of both worlds. As far as I know there is no striker fired variant of this, they all have hammers, even though sometimes the hammer do not have a tang on them.

I have others from S&W and even a Colt Double Eagle. The Ruger was a good value for the money, like the new Single action SR1911s are and the other SR pistols.

The big thing, as others have said, is know the features of your pistol and practice, practice, practice.