Issue with an LC9 magazine release

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jwk

Bearcat
I am considering purchasing an LC9 for concealed carry. I had a chance to shoot the gun yesterday and put about 70 rds through it including some Hornady 115g Critical Defense. I like the gun and it fed everything I ran through it but I have one problem. When gripping the pistol it seems my insult finger activates the magazine release when I fire the gun It is especially prevalent during rapid fire. I have been shooting for many years and have never had this problem with any other semiauto. I keep a firm but not death grip on the pistol. Anyone else out there had this issue? Any suggestions? Maybe this gun is just not for me.

hittman

Staff member
jwk said:
Anyone else out there had this issue? Any suggestions?

I have heard others complain about that issue.

Suppose adjusting your grip is about the only solution.

LaneP

Single-Sixer
Verify that is what is happening by checking your grip placement. I say that because there are many instances in which the LC9 will release the mag even when you're holding it correctly, including on the one I bought.

Once when returning it to my IWB holster, pressure from my pinkie finger on the mag base caused the mag to disengage. I examined the mag and found substantial scrape pattern along the path of the mag where it rubs against the mag catch just prior to the mag seating and locking. The catch itself had some light wear but nothing dramatic. Rounds count was low, I'd say easily fewer than 200 rounds.

I never returned it but instead bought a replacement mag catch, which seemed to cure the problem, but in the meantime my confidence in the pistol as a carry piece is just not there now. I went out and bought a Shield and never looked back. I think Ruger could have done a much better job than they did with the LC9.

What they should do is remove the useless magazine safety (something no defensive pistol should ever have), and recess the mag release button such that it is better protected from accidental actuation when pocket carrying.

Then engineer the magazine catch such that it solidly and positively engages the mag over a period of many, many removals and replacements.

Slyk Willy

Single-Sixer
I've not had this happen on mine, but you might consider adding one of those rubber pull-over grips to yours. It fits my hand better and doesn't present a "presentation" issue. Just may help keep the fingers away from the release.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
If you grasp the pistol with your right hand, you will see that it is most difficult to reach the magazine release button. It is for that reason, I believe that there is a defect in the magazine catch where it engages the magazine. The fix for that is to call good olde Ruger CS and tell them that the magazine keeps popping out during firing. But that is advice for the current owner. If you get your own LC9, it should be OK.

As I side note, I had a Kel Tec PF-9 which had this problem. Two trips back to the factory service department finally fixed it. I replaced the PF-9 with the Ruger LC9 which has been 100% reliable for 400 rounds.

jslshooter

Bearcat
Had this similar problem with an LC9 and a PF9 but without even holding the gun. It would release in my IWB holster when riding at the 4:00 position (right hand). My holster was a soft, suede leather DeSantis tuckable holster. I switch to more stiffer leather and it seemed to have cured the problem. The problem still existed when drawing our reholstering. Eventually, I realized that the single stack compact/ sub compact platform wasn't for me and eventually stopped carrying abs went back to either SR9c or LCR.

LaneP

Single-Sixer
I never realized why some European autos featured a heel mounted mag release until owning the LC9. As much as we would like to do otherwise, many (myself included) often only have one magazine with us, and that's the one in the pistol. Of paramount importance is that the one magazine we have deliver all of its available rounds were it to be called upon. If it cannot do that at a minimum it is next to useless.

I wanted the LC9 for pocket carry in my cargo shorts in warm weather but found it's possible to inadvertently bump the mag release button, partially ejecting the magazine. That and the fact mine would release the mag with gripping pressure on the base plate left me with a loss of confidence in the piece.

After the above, I got my hands on a Shield and never looked back. My advice to Ruger if they don't want their subcompact offering to fall victim to other designs is recess the mag release to better protect it from actuation from deep pocket carry (really, that's why many of us buy these micro 9's). Design your catch such that modest wear won't cause it to disengage when gripping pressure is applied to the base plate.

Finally, build it out of something more corrosion resistant. After several weeks in an IWB holster during the summer, I found red rust developed between the barrel and slide at the muzzle and in the front sight dovetail. Minor issue there but avoidable.

I would prefer a defensive pistol not have a magazine safety. Such contrivances are for those who don't understand the proper manual of arms when clearing an auto pistol. In the meantime it provides another opportunity to leave you with a useless paperweight if your mag were lost or damaged.

I'm not a huge fan of having a loose takedown pin floating around when dismounting the slide, but again, minor in the scheme of things.

I still have my LC9 and will never get rid of it, but now it's just a backup if my primary goes down for whatever reason.

gusco21

Bearcat
Happens to me frequently. It seems adjusting our grip and practicing more is our only solution...

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Highspeedlane said:
I never realized why some European autos featured a heel mounted mag release until owning the LC9. As much as we would like to do otherwise, many (myself included) often only have one magazine with us, and that's the one in the pistol. Of paramount importance is that the one magazine we have deliver all of its available rounds were it to be called upon. If it cannot do that at a minimum it is next to useless.

This is a wonderful observation! One of the features I really like about my Bersa Thunder 380 is how well shielded the magazine release button is. Another notable design that I know about is my XD45 which has a well shielded magazine release. Holsters can be designed and sometime modified to surround the magazine release button and ensure it is not accidentally depressed.

Perhaps another factor which Highspeedlane also mentioned is the extended magazine floor plate puts pressure on the magazine release. Additionally, the extension allows the little finger to pull and actually shift the pistol in the palm of the hand (milking the grip) and change the bullet impact. This happens when the the pinky extension is longer than the back of the grip, permitting the small finger to shift the grip in the palm of the hand and thereby changing bullet impact. Each person can try this out for themselves during live firing(not Gun store fondling) to decide if these extensions are a help for them. Personally, I am fine with my pinky finger underneath the grip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdqIhmu9Fuk&list=PL7A3EDDBBE4AC37D1&index=4

George

Blackhawk
So far I don't have a issue with mag release. I do have a issue with a two handed hold. My trigger finger hits my other hand just as I hit the trigger break point. Ya I try and change my grip but always end up doing this.. I do have a Uncle Mikes grip sleeve on it.. Maybe This is the issue? I have no issue when shooting the smaller LCP! Oh the mag floor plate. I like use the one without the pinky grip as I can control the gun just fine that way. I fine it prints a little less that way for me. I don't know what Ruger done to tame the recoil in both the LC9 and LCP. I know lockup helps but they both shoot like larger guns or should I say better then some full size 9mm and much larger all steel .380's I have shot.. IMO I would have to look and see if the Mag release and see if it could be made to grip the mag a little deeper without messing with the frame of the gun. George