LCP or LC380?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
I have the LCP and my other LC is 9, not 380.

The LC9 is on a trip back to Ruger for light primer strikes.

The LCP has just never found it's niche with me and will likely go bye-bye soon. I've never been able to develop any reasonable amount of confidence in a small semi-auto for carrying. My full size semi's seem to go bang every time but ..... can't say the same for the smaller ones.

Both of the LC's are super easy to conceal though; in a variety of ways.

rob-c

Single-Sixer
just bought the wife a lc380 ran 50 rounds down the pipe with out a hiccup that was with blazers, bought a box fiocchi next to shoot I am trying a bunch of ammo to see if it likes it all. she and I like it.

George

Blackhawk
My wife has a LCP and we both have a LC9.. We like them both.. I liked Her LCP a lot no issue with recoil at all.. Both the guns were easy on the hand..
I even ran a bunch of +P's down range with the LC9 and i could shoot it all day.. My wife loves her LCP .380.. LCP is smaller and easy to pack anytime..
But the LC9 is also a small gun with a harder hitting 9mm round. You will have to decide what one will work best for you.. I carry the LC9 almost evry day and have for almost a year now in a IWB holster with issues and it covers well. George

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
I only carry the LCP when nothing else will work, in cool weather it's a SR40c 24/7 but when it is too warm out for the 40c i carry a LC9. It carries well in a Mitch Rosen OWB holster and is more pleasant to shoot than the LCP. Bought the LC380 for wife, they have better sights than LCP and a slide lock plus the MDS is easy to remove if you don't like it. With about 200 rounds threw the LC380 and close to a thousand threw the other two they have all proved to be 100% reliable. Bought a S&W Bodyguard a month ago and it is also a really nice pistol and has performed flawlessly so far. Pick the one that fits your hand the best and appeals to you the most, they are all reliable and perform well.

MnBulldog

Single-Sixer
Fox Mike said:
Looking for something that is concealable with summer duds on. My P-95 is just a bit too big. Wondering if anyone has any opinion on one of the two 380s mentioned.

If your primary concern is "concealable", the LCP is the better option. Without the laser sights they are the easiest you are going to find.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
If you're going to pocket carry it go for the LCP.

I have an LCP that get's carried when the LCR won't fit in my pockets. But the LC9 I had got sold off because though it was a decent gun it rarely got carried because it can be pocket carried but not very comfortably.

George

Blackhawk
Also the sights on the New LCP's are much better then the old LCP's as they are raised on the new guns. My wife made cans dance at 25 yards with that little gun and she had not been shooting in 20+ years! It's No single action but it's not hard to shoot.George

Kraut

Bearcat
Though the basic concept of the LC380 is nice because it has decent SIGHTS, I do not like it and would not give up my LCP for it.

Why?
Because the LCP concept is simple, fast and quite foolproof: DAO, no safety lever, just draw it and pull the trigger.

I do not think that the LC380 will have the same success as the LCP.
Ruger should have slightly modified the LCP, put some decent sights on it, maybe 1 round more in the mag.
Just my 2 Cents.

Glock 42? Yes this sounds like a nice alternative!

George

Blackhawk
Decent sights are now on the LCP compared to the older LCp's .. IMO They made BIG IMPROVEMENT.. One round more.. Ya I'm with you 100% on that.. And there are a number a places you can change out the Follower to get that extra round you want in the LCP while still having a flush to the but mag.. If you want two or more extra rounds you can go that rout with a extended mag.. Also this is a big thing for me.. I like the gun to let me know when it needs to be fed so I like the slide to remain open on the last shot fired.. Yep you can have this too with the LCP by changing out the follower and the slide will stay open on the last shot to let you know you need to reload.. Sounded easy to count you shots but in the heat of the moment in a gun fight I don't think I would be counting my shots.. ! gun I would get over the Ruger LCP in a .380 would be a Sig 238... I like the 1911 Manual of arms for the Sig as I'm a 1911 guy and for me the light single action is just fine and my shot placement would be much better if I had to make that ideal one shot stop.. But I old buy another LCP the new ones without the "-" in the serial number to have the nice raised sights then now come with.. George

groberts

Single-Sixer
Unless you will only pocket carry, and don't mind getting a hole shot in your leg, get the LC380. Tests show it's got half the felt recoil of the LCP and is easier to hold for most people. AND IT'S GOT A SAFETY!
And a big plus for it Laserlyte (that other laser company) makes a great side mounted laser for it that doesn't take up any holster space.

George

Blackhawk
Well if your thinking like that and a LC.380 is what your looking at.. Why get a gun "LC.380" that's the same size as the LC9 that has more punch! If I was looking at the LCP.380 LC.380 or LC9.. For me even my 64 year old wife we both didn't want the LC.380.. As far as recoil goes I could not tell them apart.. Even the little LCP is a pussycat to shoot. I can shoot any of them all day long the wife has no issues with 100 to 150 rounds through them both in the same day.. The LCP Has a titanium firing pin with a heavy inertia firing pin spring and will not fire if dropped.. It's a D/A gun, man the safety is between your ears! Don't pull the trigger!!! I feel safe using any of the guns. I have no issue at all.. You can chamber a round just as fast as you could take off a safety.. Me I think a gun is useless without a round in the chamber .. It's for you the OB to decide! They all carry well even in the summer.. The wife and I each have a LC9 and the wife also has a LCP.. Both good guns!