SR9 rear sight question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Taterman

Buckeye
My wife has been shooting in a women's league and brings home her targets to show me. She does fairly well but has been hitting low and left most of the time. I showed her how the adjust the elevation and moved it up 3 clicks before she left last night.

At the range, she was still hitting low so she raised it up 3 more clicks. After 6 clicks up it was still the same low general point of impact. I didn't have a chance to look over the gun last night, but is it possible the spring under the rear sight isn't strong enough to lift it when you loosen the windage adjustment?
Is there something else it could be?

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
is it possible she is not pressing the trigger? when I shoot low it is because I am hitting the trigger when the sights fall on target rather than pressing the trigger. trigger control is there some days and elsewhere another. when I do my job my pistols do theirs.

NewportNewsMike

Single-Sixer
A lot of times "low and left" can mean not having the right "human-to-pistol" interface. It is a particularly common problem for new shooters.

There are charts out there, like this one at http://www.countrysurvival.com/pistol-correction-chart/ that can help you identify what what your particular problem may be.

Taterman

Buckeye
Thank you Mike and pjv, I'll have her check both of those things. The league is run by a police officer and a concealed carry instructor and they do help them with their shooting. I'm surprised one of them didn't mention it or notice anything.

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
you would not notice a trigger snatch unless she had a misfire while you watched. then the pistol would be pulled down with the and the sights off target low. when I teach a new shooter it is usually with a revolver. I will load 5 instead of 6 and wait for the empty chamber. that shows it big time.

Taterman

Buckeye
pjvrefugee said:
you would not notice a trigger snatch unless she had a misfire while you watched. then the pistol would be pulled down with the and the sights off target low. when I teach a new shooter it is usually with a revolver. I will load 5 instead of 6 and wait for the empty chamber. that shows it big time.

That makes a lot of sense, thank you.