RUGER SR9C FIRED WELL... TIPS FOR A NEW SHOOTER

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I had posted an update awhile back about the trigger not resetting on my SR9C. Ruger fixed it and sent it back in a very timely manner. They replaced the trigger bar assembly. I finally had time to go to the range and put about 60-70 rounds through it. All went well.

I need some tips on aiming, trigger pull, adjusting for recoil, etc. because my shots are hitting the target but not exactly where I am aiming. I was shooting low and left the first two times I went to the range. Today, results were better. However, if I would tell myself that I am going to aim and hit a certain spot, I would hit the target but not where I intended. PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THIS IS ONLY MY THIRD TIME SHOOTING A HANDGUN.

The head shots were being aimed for and I was 15 feet away. The rest of the shots were taken from 30 feet.

target2_zps9bbaf264.jpg

target1_zps72c38ae8.jpg

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Take about 150 rounds with you next trip. Shoot your first target the best you can with 20-25 rounds then take it down. Before you leave put up a fresh target and fire your last 20-25 rounds into it. Take both home and compare. If your last target is dramatically better recoil sensitivity or flinching may be the problem.

The logic being new shooters are far more flinchy & jumpy when they fire their first few rounds. And you probably did not go from novice to master in the 30 minute time period you shot your rounds. The only real thing that changed is your getting comfortable with the recoil and blast.

Good advice. The thing is, I have put bout 200 rounds through it. The first 2 trips to the range I was getting familiar with the recoil, steadying my aim, etc. All I was wanting to do on those first two trips was not embarrass myself and at least hit the target. I did pretty good on those first two trips to the gun range.

On this trip, I was telling myself things like hit the neck area, hit near the number 8, or hit the X. Well, you get the idea. I would check the target after each shot or two and notice that I hit the target but not in the spots I shot for. I know it will take practice.

Any other ideas, advice, input would be appreciated.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
It's next to impossible to fix someone's shooting over the internet but we can give you some things to look for or try. I wouldn't want you to get overloaded so I will sugest one thing that I suggest to all new shooters. Take a target like you just shot and turn it around so you are just seeing a blank white sheet. run it out to a decent distance 30 to 40 feet is good.

....and shoot at it, hopefully you hit somewhere in the middle, now aim at that hole and shoot again. keep aiming at that first hole, the point is you should get instant feedback without bringing your target in. If you find a pattern then think about an adjustment and no I don't mean the sights. What are you doing that makes that bullet hit here or there? You are moving something, what is it? Have you looked at your grip of the gun? Is that moving? Does the gun move in your hand, do you readjust your grip with your finger on the trigger? Do you feel your chin drop when you pull the trigger?

You won't fix them all this time or even the next but you will start to eliminate some of them.

The are some good videos on proper grip and stance, grip is more important than stance unless you have a really crappy stance.

Hickok45 has a couple of good beginner videos on Youtube check them out but do a few things at a time. If you try to fix everything at once, you end up fixing nothing or end up even worse. Take it slow and find a way.

Can't believe I didn't think of that. I remember when I got my first BB gun. There was a sheet hanging on the clothesline in the backyard. My dad shot at it. Then he told me to aim and shoot as close to his shot as I could. I shot at it, and I missed by less than a foot. I was probably 50 feet away from the sheet (that was about the only thing my dad ever, ever showed me how to do). I know a BB gun is way different than a 9mm. But this strategy you mentioned is so simple but very worthwhile.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I've struggled all my life with flinching and dropping the muzzle in anticipation of recoil. What really helps me with both long guns and hand guns is a very firm grip, locked wrists and elbows, and holding both eyes wide open. If you see the muzzle blast in the sight picture you're doing it right!

Now, I am by no means complaining here. Being a successful shooter, an individual needs to possess good stance, correct breathing, proper technique for holding the weapon, aim, adjusting for recoil, etc. etc. etc. I mean women giving birth don't have this many steps to follow (just an exaggeration).

How does one remember this when needing to make that self-defense shot? I don't mean at the range. But if the situation ever presents itself, a home intruder or whatever, how would I even attempt to go through all those steps?

Rei40c

Blackhawk
collegefbfan8898 said:
Now, I am by no means complaining here. Being a successful shooter, an individual needs to possess good stance, correct breathing, proper technique for holding the weapon, aim, adjusting for recoil, etc. etc. etc. I mean women giving birth don't have this many steps to follow (just an exaggeration).

How does one remember this when needing to make that self-defense shot? I don't mean at the range. But if the situation ever presents itself, a home intruder or whatever, how would I even attempt to go through all those steps?

All reports indicate almost no one does. So you may say, "well why train". The best explanation I've ever heard was on the History Channel, they interviewed a former Russian Spetsnaz soldier. He said when something happens "You don't fall up or rise to the occasion, you fall down to the very lowest point of your skill and training, and that is what you fight with."

So what I took this to mean in other words is make sure your worst day shooting is better then the bad guys worst day.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
FergusonTO35 said:
I've struggled all my life with flinching and dropping the muzzle in anticipation of recoil.

Me too, it's especially bad when I've not shot recently. It goes away after a few rounds. The longer it's been the longer it takes me to get over.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
When I taught my daughter, I went over the 3 basics.

grip

sight picture

trigger pull

It amazed me at how big a difference just one of these can make. My daughter was doing quite well, then suffered a setback when shooting my model 10. I spent a little time watching her shoot, and suggested a change in her grip. Groups halved in size almost immediately.

My biggest problem seems to be sight picture. When my groups start to spread, I pay closer attention to sight picture. Normally that does the trick.

The more you shoot with proper technique, the more it becomes habit. After a while you just start doing it automatically.

The other thing to consider is the "aim small, hit small:" principal. I pick up small round self adhesive dots and put them on the large target. I shoot a mag or cylinder at one dot only. This gives me feedback on how well I did on that particular mag/cyl. The other option is to cover your previous shots with masking tape. The dots are easier to manage IMO.