Polishing out light scratches on a 1985 stainless Mk II

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Quickdraw

Single-Sixer
Just picked up a real nice stainless Mk II target model with a 5 1/2" bull barrel...
It has some very light scratches, (mostly on the barrel),...nothing major..and functions perfectly!
What's the best way to rub these out to help make it look nice and shiny again?
Also...I paid $300. for it with 1 mag and original box in nice shape. How'd I do?
Thanks, Qd

LaneP

Single-Sixer
I would try something like 0000 steel wool for starters. It may not be aggressive enough for anything but very light scratches in which case moving to 000 or even 00 should show some good results.

LaneP

Single-Sixer
Yes, Flitz will bring the metal to a mirror polish if that's what you want. If you are trying to match a very high polish then that's a good choice. For a more matte, reduced glare finish, just steel wool will do the trick on most light scratches.

tguil

Single-Sixer
Scotch-Brite maroon pads are the most recommend "tool" for dealing with scratches on Ruger handguns. Move the pad in the direction of the "finish" already on the gun. Do not rub in the direction of the barrel.

Remove the front sight, place the gun in a well padded bench vise, and take a strip of emery cloth or aluminum oxide paper, grit no lower number than say #320, tear off a strip about an inch wide, the length of the paper, and like one would polish a shoe, pull the paper strip over the barrel, and slowly work your way up the barrel, turn the gun over and repeat on the opposite side,no need to PULL hard, just lightly, and any and ALL marks will come out ( off) then if you want to "finish" it off, use a Scotch Brite pad and rub around the barrel...while you're at it you can do the front of the grip frame as well as the bottom of the trigger guard....works on the receiver as well, but again you have to remove the sights to have a well "rounded and clear" working area....very simple and easy to do...........I've been refinishing firearms since the 1960's and the hand work and prep is MY 'forte' 8) :wink:

( the #320 grit is about as close to the factory finish, unless you know "how" and "how hard" to use other papers, stay away from power equipment ,please.............) :roll:

Quickdraw

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the suggestions/advice! And especially from Dan...no wonder you have achieved "Ruger Guru" status! :p I will take my time for sure!

P94/GP100

Single-Sixer
Not to downgrade the worth of Dan's recommendation, but a far easier way might be to simply get some Mother's Mag polish, and apply with an old t-shirt or similar material. In the event it doesn't work to your satisfaction, then go to Dan's solution(s). I've found it to be very effective in polishing up my stainless steel Security Six.

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/05100-05101.html

Best, Jon

Latest posts