Took my new SR45 to the range.....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mrgaf

Single-Sixer
Yup, busted her cherry real quick....
gun worked great BUT I had a few problems..can't see the white dot on the front sight. Maybe it's the ranges lighting (outdoor with a large eyebrow) or my eyes have really gone south (believe it to be a contributing factor). I was all over the place! The sights looked like a big black blob :shock:. Now I'm not a really good shot with a pistol but I should have been able to get 80% @ 25 yards onto the target (target was about 16" in diameter). ANother problem was the trigger. Oh it's good but a little too touchy for my liking. I unintentionally double tapped a couple of times! Suspect I got to let the trigger come full forward before putting any pressure on it for the next shot. I guess I'm just really used to my Kimber 1911A1's. Also suspect I'm pulling the gun down when I'm doing the squeeze but can't tell since I cant see the sights! Dunno if me and this pistol are going to get along. Funny thing is I have no problem with my SR9C! Could it be the sights are closer together?
Been thinking about changing the front and rear sights to the Williams fiber sights that Ruger offers in their store (will probably go to Brownells). Are the front sights easy to drift out or should I just take it to my local gun smith and let him do the deed? What do you guys think of the front and rear sight change out? Think it will help?
Don't get me wrong the pistol is fantastic but it just might not be a good match for me. If I can't improve the relationship :( then I'll probably sell it (absolute last resort) and stick with my 1911's..... or maybe but a nice Ruger 357 mag revolver :lol: . Thanks as always......

LaneP

Single-Sixer
White dot sights do nothing for me, but I have them on several pistols because that's what they came with. I prefer just a straight set of black sights. I do have a brass bead front sight on my S&W Shield but it's rare that I ever see it, particularly in bright light.

I have two Ruger MK III's, one is the Hunter with a fiber front sight, the other is the Target with plain black sights. I as well as my boys prefer hands down the plain square black sights of the Target for punching holes in paper in good light. If you were in the woods trying to bag squirrels in late afternoon light the benefit of the fiber front sight would probably become more apparent.

If you do swap sights, take it to a local smith. Most dovetail sights on semi's are extremely tightly fitted and without the proper tools and skill set, there is a high probability of damaging the sight and having to replace it.

mrgaf

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the advice. I just might black out the white dot and see if that helps. The range here is pretty dark on the line but extremely bright out on the range and, for me at least, this combo reaks havoc on my eyes. Gonna see about some nice prescitption shooting glasses that will give me nice contrast. Maybe that will help define the sights better. Nowhere else to go but up! If I do change out the sights, will definately have a pro do it. Here is Hawaii, gunsmiths are few and far between though. If worse comes to worse, I might have Ruger do it.... :)