P95 or P89?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SteveSatch

Single-Sixer
I have a couple bucks burning a hole in my pocket and there's a couple guns for sale on the local gun forum. I can get a blue P95DC for $300 or a stainless P89 safety/decocker combo for $350.
I already have several P95s. I really like them and with them being discontinued who knows what will happen with parts availability. It never hurts to have extras. It would just be another duplicate/backup though so not very fun.
I own no P89s and this one is from 2006 based on the serial number so it is from a good time period (but not the best) for the P89. I don't much like the safety/decocker combo though. I do own two P94s with both .40 and 9mm slides. I don't know how hard parts would be to find for the P89 in the future. I do know there were several design changes and slides and such might not fit.
I'm in Ca and we have this stupid safe handgun roster and neither the P95 or P89 are on it any longer so one has to buy them used, private party transfer in person (no out of state transfer) so the P series are getting harder to find here. Probably will be my last P series purchase.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
If nothing else, the dual recoil springs for the P95 are no longer available from Ruger and Wolfe springs no longer lists them. Recoil springs for the P-89 are easily available. Something to consider.

P94/GP100

Single-Sixer
I recommend the P89. It's a more durable gun, being over-designed for the XM10 JSSAP trial. And, it's recoil spring is literally designed as a lifetime spring, presumably for 10K+ rounds of use.

Best, Jon

roylt

Hunter
89 for sure!! You can dress it with grips, all metal (if that matters), stainless vs. blue, longer site picture, etc.

89!!

SteveSatch

Single-Sixer
Looks like I'm getting neither. I am going to spend my money buying some P95 uppers/slides with barrels and camblock/recoil springs since it's the only way to get recoil springs.

Have you or anyone else ever heard of needing to replace the recoil spring on a P95? Maybe there is a reason Ruger and other places don't offer them? Possibly because no one ever requested one?

I'd snatch that P95 decock but quick.