Sr9c question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hi folks! well as you can see this is my first post and I have a question on a Ruger SR9c. In my profile you will see that I make custom Kydex holsters, and when making one the other day for a customer I found a problem with an area under the trigger guard.
Normally I use a mold gun to make the holsters but every once in a while I need to use the real gun if I don't have a mold. When making the holsters I have to do whats called a mock up to put blocking on the gun to allow for the carrier method etc. and in doing so I use painter's tape to hold them on.

After making the holster and removing the tape I found these marks on the bottom of the trigger guard. I've never seen this before and at first though it was somehow related to the glue in the tape. Doing a little research I found that this may be a factory detail and not from my tape. I've included a photo of the area so you can see what i'm talking about.

If anyone can help on this I would appreciate it. And if someone has the same marking on their SR9c and could post a pic of it I would appreciate that also.

Sorry for my first post being so long but I figured that this is what the forum is all about, questions and answers.

Thanks for looking
Mick

Clovishound

Blackhawk
The bottom of the trigger guard on my SR9c has a different look than the rest of the polymer on the frame. It almost looks like it has been sanded with some higher grit sandpaper. I suspect a mold line that is sanded smooth. It starts just in front of the mag release and ends where the trigger guard starts to widen before joining the frame under the barrel.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Mine has it too. I expect it's where any mold roughness is sanded off so the gun doesn't irritate your middle finger under recoil. It's a feature, not a bug. :)

Wow guys this helps a bunch. I'm feeling much better now before your information I was just figuring on buying the gun or at least pay to get it repaired and mark it up as the cost of doing business. Molding from the real gun has these kinds of problems and this one was new in the box when I received it. Funny thing is I did not notice it while I was mocking it up.

Would anyone have pic of their gun with this issue that they could post so I can have something to back up my claim that it is a factory deal?

Thanks again, I know I'm really going to like this place.

Virginia Boy

Bearcat
I just bought an SR9c yesterday, and it has this also.
Rub some black paste shoe polish on it , and buff, this
will restore the luster.
Also, I noticed it is very hard get the magazines to catch,
I have to hit them on the bottom, for them to catch.
I think that the spacer & the extended base plate, fit too
snug.
If I remove the spacer from the 17 rnd. mag, it will catch
without too much force.

I just got a holster order for a SR9, it has the same issue only worst then the other. Its funny that I have not noticed this before now, granted I do more LCP, LCR, etc. (smaller guns)
I did notice on the last SR9C that the mag release button would release the mag with very little effort, and I also had to smack it on the bottom to get it to stay in.
I don't see this with the SR9 that I'm doing now.