Rugers most reliable , trouble free semi auto pistol ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

websterz

Single-Sixer
I have tens of thousands of rounds thru my 1971 vintage Standard Auto .22 and she's still going strong.

P94/GP100

Single-Sixer
My 2007-vintage P89; the military trials it's P85 predecessor was subjected to and further refinments during it's manufacturing cycle have made mine a superbly reliable, durable and accurate pistol.

Best, Jon

96/44

Blackhawk
I would say any of the P series guns with the exception of the P345, which had some teething problems. My P89 has never had any failure except a fail to lock back the slide with a cheap aftermarket mag. I also had a P95 which was 100% reliable. My MKI has somewhere north of 100K rounds through it. I have had to replace the sear several times, but it still shoots like new.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
P90.....never ever malfed a single round for me...

MKII....all of mine are at 20M rounds or more and never ever malf quality 22LR ammunition until the pistol is so filthy dirty it flatout stops running. MOST of 'em have been cleaned at least once.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
My first centerfire pistol was a P-85 while I was in the Army. Between myself and my friends we shot that thing a crap load, my best conservative guess would be about 65,000 rounds through it, it never broke and almost always fired and cycled. I own an SR9 that I've had for going on 5 years and it has never hickup'd but with two poorly made "premium" self defense rounds of ammo. I have over 20,000 rounds through that gun, I don't shoot it all that much anymore but it's a reliable gun for sure.

Arky

Single-Sixer
"M" usually means "thousand" to all us old guys that were taught the Roman Numerals in school.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
websterz said:
20 million? Aw come on...

M is the latin number for one thousand[ 1000 ].

K is the silly metric letter someone who never took Latin in school decided was needed even though it almost NEVER refers to anything "metric".

PS: there are at least two MKI Rugers in South Africa with a documented five million [ 5,000,000 ] through each and both were still going strong at last reports.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
The P95 I had was 100% dependable, even with some hideous, no name mags I found in a box lot of gun parts from an auction. So far all my SR9c failures have been ammo related, as best as I can tell. Both guns are happy to eat ammo that my buddy's Sig chokes on.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I really like the sights on the SR's, they are darn near perfect. Way better than those of the P-guns. One thing I did not like about my P95 was how the big, heavy slide had a slow, "lazy" feel when it reciprocated. The SR snaps back smartly as it should.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
8000 rnds now with my 40c. Never a malfunction. But it has not been trouble free, it's just my issues have never caused a stoppage.

2 issues I've had-

1- the front pin just ahead of the trigger guard was walking when firing out and had to be sent back.
2- The slide lock would disengage from the slightest jolt when inserting a fresh magazine, thus sending the slide forward and chambering a round by itself, before I wanted it to, or intended it. I considered this a safety issue.

Both problems where quickly fixed by Ruger and they where very good to deal with. never a problem since I suppose you could argue these where minor issues and none stopped normal functioning. I could have ignored both and still have a working gun today.

I should note I've run this gun harder then your average person perhaps. It is a .40 and many of those 8000 rounds where very hot loads. (One I particularly remember where the 100 or so Winchester PDX1 165 grain hollow points, holy smokes. Great load but wow you can tell its high velocity.) On a couple of occasions more then 400 rounds expended in one shooting session and heated the gun up to levels it worried me a little. Frankly I've beat the heck out of it.