Rugers most reliable , trouble free semi auto pistol ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rei40c

Blackhawk
FergusonTO35 said:
Rei40c, have you replaced any internal parts, including springs yet? I would think that a new recoil would be in order by this time.

Not yet but I do have a spare already brand new and ready to go. I've been thinking also recently that it's about time. The slide is noticeably easier to rack one poster here suggested that I watch for erratic ejection pattern of the brass which can indicate it's getting weak. Seems like a good suggestion but I always forget to watch it. It's kind of an odd thing to be looking off to the right while your firing.

As far as other internal parts that where replaced, when I sent it in for the slide stop problem they did one of the shotgun fixes and replaced a few things that seemed to have nothing to do with the problem. I got a new striker assembly and trigger bar on top of the slide release being redone. I'd swear the trigger bar seems to be a very slightly different shape then the old one.

The magazine springs seem very easy to load now. When new they where really horrible to get even the last 3 rounds in not to mention just the last. Now it is a breeze. No troubles with the magazines to report at all. But your right I'll drop that new recoil spring in during the next cleaning.

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
P85 has still never had one malfunction since purchase way back when they first hit the market. all five of my SR series pistols a close second just because they have not been down the road as long as old faithful.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Looking at the SR design I think it might be wise to occasionally replace the sear lift spring as well. This very thin spring ensures that the sear catches the striker to reset for the next shot. If it gets weak or fails your pistol becomes at best a very small club.

GKC

Blackhawk
While it has gotten several votes for most reliable, the MKII is, IMO, the most difficult pistol I have ever owned to field strip and reassemble.

I liked the P95 I had, but I really like the SR series pistols. I hope Ruger makes a SR45c sometime before I shuffle off.

brushunter

Single-Sixer
My P-345 has been my most reliable weapon. Five years old , with all my load development , has never malfunctioned. just guessing , perhaps an honest 500 rounds a year. I own 2 1911s , 2 MK IIIs ( a 45/22 and a bull ) , CZ-75 and a Walther .380 ... all have had blips.

regards , brushunter

aWoods

Single-Sixer
WIL TERRY said:
P90.....never ever malfed a single round for me...

MKII....all of mine are at 20M rounds or more and never ever malf quality 22LR ammunition until the pistol is so filthy dirty it flatout stops running. MOST of 'em have been cleaned at least once.

The M better stand for Many.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
aWoods said:
WIL TERRY said:
P90.....never ever malfed a single round for me...

MKII....all of mine are at 20M rounds or more and never ever malf quality 22LR ammunition until the pistol is so filthy dirty it flatout stops running. MOST of 'em have been cleaned at least once.

The M better stand for Many.
The M stands for 1000 and has since The Roman Empire was at its height for over 2000 [ MM ] years.

chefrob1

Single-Sixer
can't speak for the Mk series but my P90 has got the be the most trouble free auto i have ever shot........

dakota1911

Buckeye
The ones I put the most rounds through were MkIs from the earl 1970s. I still have the bull barrel target model but the 6 inch with fixed sights I sold to my cousin. My p90 from 91 went through a lot of rounds without a problem. Still I would vote the MkI.

CrashMaxim

Bearcat
Had my P89 since 2000 with (truthfully) no failures whatsoever over about 600 rounds....if I could I'd marry this gun! My son is sitting like a vulture waiting to inherit.

My P97 has had several thousand rounds through it without a single issue. So far, my sr40c and my LCP have been virtually perfect, except when I used crap ammo. I have been very impressed with the quality of all of my Ruger semi autos, and hope my new LC9s (that I pick up tomorrow) will be the same.

JEA1957

Bearcat
Have owned my P89DC for about 3-4 years and it has shot everything, including reloads from a Lee Handloading kit (neck size only).

My SR1911 is coming up on it's first birthday and it too, has shot everything, including a mag full of reloads from a Lee Handloading kit with no issues. This is one of the MOST ACCURATE handguns I've ever owned, right out of the box! Factory, reloads, RN, SWC, you name it, this gun shoots it! This FS 1911 is my EDC, I don't leave home without it! :mrgreen:

57K said:
You can probably make a valid case for several of the P-Series pistols including the shorter lived P-91, but if you have a good SR poly, they don't take a backseat to any, and IMO, they're more accurate in comparison of equal barrel length pistols. The P-90 had an excellent reputation for reliability and accuracy and I believe my SR45 is at least its equal and I personally prefer it over the P-90 in terms of size ergonomics and its ability to handle recoil. :wink:

I concur - I own both the P90DC and a SR45. They have eaten everything I have fed them. I do like the SR's additional capacity, and slightly smaller more svelte profile, but I also enjoy the Hogue grip on the P90DC. That's about the only thing I wish that the SR had was replaceable grip panels, somewhat like the MKIII 22/45.

Tinman931

Single-Sixer
No issues with any of my Ruger autos no matter what ammo I have out through them.