LC9 "slide shake"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mrasgt

Bearcat
Hello everyone.

I have a 2/22/2011, LC9. No problems at all until recently, I noticed that with an empty gun, no ammo, no mag, If you hold the gun normally and sharply "whip" the gun forward and back, the slide will move back and forth about an inch.

Tried many ammo manufactures and no problems except one round of S and B 115 gr. round nose. Fired one round, the shell partially ejected and the front edge of the ejection port caught the open mouth of the shell. You can see dents on the open mouth of the case. The case was jammed between the open mouth on the ejection port and by the face of the bolt. Not really jammed, just caught there.
No other problems with any of the 6 or 7 other ammo manufactures.

I'm thinking that the recoil springs are weak. I did check, both the inner and outer springs were properly installed. I can't find anything else wrong with the internals. The gun is always kept clean and lubed correctly.

Except the "shake" and this one S and B round, the gun has been flawless.

Do you folks think it should go back to the mother ship?
Any one else had anything like this occur?

Thanks in advance....Sarge

I recall a way of determining an issue with Glocks. Unload the gun, cock it, point it at ceiling, pull trigger, if the slide won't stay forward you have a problem. Can't remember which spring was worn out at this point but it was to determine replacement

LaneP

Single-Sixer
No need to return it for an issue like that. Being a 2011 model, it could just be it's time to replace the recoil spring assemble. If you call them up and tell them they may just ship you one gratis.

hittman

Staff member
My LC9 won't do that. Doesn't seem the slide moved even a fraction of an inch.

modrifle3

Buckeye
It is possible it is just a recoil spring issue. If you don't see any extreme wear on the engagement points and nothing broke then is most likely the spring. Make sure the inner spring didn't break. Get a new spring assembly and go from there, but I discourage firing the pistol at all in the condition.

modrifle3

Buckeye
Check for peening and barrel lug wear also. Not sure the year range but this was an issue and my barrel was replaced free of charge.

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
Oddly my LC9 was purchased 2/23/2011 (day after yours). I get side to side rattle of the empty slide. Never tried what you are experiencing with forward & back movement though.
When I get home I will try that.

I only have 615 rounds through mine....what's your round count? I'm wondering if that may be what's causing your problem.....worn recoil spring? I've noticed that the LC9 recoil spring is much weaker than those found on other small 9mm guns like Sig 938 and Kahr CM9. Those Are a struggle to get in place.

mrasgt

Bearcat
I have around 850 rounds through it.

Update:

I went back to the range yesterday and put around 100 rounds through it.
I watched everything very carefully. I found the slide NOT going completely forward when it cycled through a mag. Maybe two with each mag. This was using three different ammos.

A slight push in the rear of the slide puts the slide all the way forward. I'm now concerned there might be an out of battery discharge.

Also noticed 4 light strikes in 100 rounds. I again checked the recoil springs, they are in perfect condition, no hang up or bends and I made sure the recoil spring and guide rod are correctly installed.

I'm not sure, but I don't know if I want to just changing out the springs.

I'm a Glock armorer and know of the tests a poster referred to. I checked for side to side rattle, finding none.

I'm being careful here and will no longer fire the gun until I know what's going on.

Does anyone, knowing of this update, want to comment? I welcome all comments. So please feel free.

Thanks again...Sarge

modrifle3

Buckeye
Honestly I would detail the issues and send it to Ruger for repair. If they will not pay shipping, ask for the $25 shipping label. Sounds like something else going on.

thomaskling

Bearcat
I recommend a close inspection of the plastic recoil spring guide rod. I changed out my plastic spring guide rod and the 16 Lb. factory recoil springs to a stainless steel guide rod and 20 Lb. recoil springs from Galloway. I did this because I had seen on-line comments about problems with the plastic guide rod. It's bad enough that we have to live with plastic frames, but internal gun parts should be made of metal.

George

Blackhawk
modrifle3 said:
Any issues with the 20lb spring with lighter target loads?

Ya I had some.. I put my 16lb springs back in and no issues.. may be useful for P+ ammo but really the factory springs do a good job.. I do have the stainless guide rod on mine from day one ..

OP I would get a factory set 16lb of recoil springs from Ruger you will have less issues with weak wristing the gun with light loads and it will handle P+ rounds without issue and if you want a stainless steal guide rod pick one up from Galloway well worth the money IMO.. If you get there 20 lb spring set paint them with a dab of paint it's hard to tell them apart but really the factory 16lb springs work well.. aso trash your old spring this way you will never get them in the mix.. George

modrifle3

Buckeye
Although more accurate with lighter bullets I have run mine with 147gr with no issues.

mrasgt

Bearcat
Hello all...

I thought I'd update you on what I found. Sorry this is so late.

I had installed Galloway recoil springs in the gun when I first got the gun. Everything appeared to be just fine. After around 500 rounds, as I described here, I found the slide shake.

I had forgotten about installing the Galloway springs.

So, when I remembered the spring change I made, I went looking for the factory springs and re-installed them.

Now, no slide shake.

I don't know if the Galloway springs gave out too early or if they were only good for the 500 rounds I had put on them.

At any rate, problem solved for now. We'll see how long the factory springs last before any possible slide shake comes up.

Thanks for all the input.

Sarge

Latest posts