LC9 & LCP got to the range ammo mixup too. .380 shot in LC9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

George

Blackhawk
Hi, Well we got to the range after much time has passed. To bring you up to date my wife will be 64 the 11th and has bad arthritis and tendinitis in her writs so she was putting off going to the range, well we took the two guns and some various ammo 4 steel soup cans. I loaded up her LCP .380 and set up her cans for her about 5 yards away.. She got pissed and took the cans out to the 25 yard mark.. I thought to myself you just don't know how hard they will be to hit with the small guns.. Ya right! She didn't have a issue with them at all in fact after they were hit they were even father from her she still was able to hit them often enough to make her and me more then happy.. She ended up shooting 50 rounds of .380 with her LCP and 42 rounds of 9mm with the LC9 before calling it enough and it was getting to her.. At the range she was able to rack both slides without issue now this is something she couldn't do with the guns home.. I think it was more a mind thing at home.. Not sure her arthritis could have been really bad.. as it is most of the time anyway.. One thing I did find loading both guns with two holsters on and using my pockets for holding the mags thing got confusing a tad.. I did find out something about my LC 9mm I had a box of Winchester .380 target load flat points " they look like .40 do" I somehow loaded two mags in my LC9 and shot them not knowing they were .380's well I was pissed the gun would not cycle them. I had to re rack the slide to fire the next round.. So I took the inner small recoil spring out of the gun still not knowing I was shooting .380's in a 9mm.. well let me say the gun functioned fine after I did that.. not a issue.. How I mixed things up was I took the cardboard box off all the ammo and it was just sitting on the ground in there plastic separators.. all and all I had no issues with recoil I could shoot both guns all day long .. I shot about 50 9mm+P they felt better to me a little more stout but felt good with the gun.. I was very happy with my wife I knew she could shoot good with a revolver but I never knew she could shoot a little pistol so good.. Man she made the cans dance!! LOL!! I found it interesting that my LC9 shot .380 so well too.. she had no issues with her LCP I had some issues with my LC9 after about 25 or so rounds. My LC9 would not extract the spent round leaving it in the chamber on at least 10 or so rounds.. I cleaned the gun and had no other issues.. But then again I could have loaded it with Winchester round nose .380's not 100% sure.. When I got home I cleaned and then polished my chamber and feed ramp on my LC9. I liked both guns much better then I thought I would have being a S/A 1911 guy.. Oh the one thing I did find and didn't like with the LC9 was that the tipof my trigger finger would hit the thumb of my supporting hand just before the trigger broke this is the only gun I have that will cause this.. even the LCP don't do this on me for some reason.. George

LaneP

Single-Sixer
Hello George

Well it seems you figured out what was going on and corrected the problem.

Glad everything worked out when all was said and done.