SR9 ambi safety issue.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

websterz

Single-Sixer
I have big bear paw hands but love the way my new SR9 feels. The only problem I have is when thumbing off the safety the right side lever drags on my trigger finger knuckle and it's hard to disengage it without shifting my grip. I like to use the highest grip I can to keep the bore axis low. Has anyone else had this issue? I plan to take the right side safety lever off with my dremel to eliminate the problem. I never did like an ambi safety on a carry gun anyway, too easy to brush up against something and disengage it.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Apparently you aren't left handed. :) I am and it isn't "ambidextrous" to me.

The manual safety on an SR9 is there to meet some state requirements and isn't required for safe carry and use. If it gets in your way, don't use it. Glocks, most S&W M&Ps and several other striker fired pistols don't have manual safeties and don't need them. Ruger added it to make the SR-series legal in some states that mandate a manual safety, essential or not.

websterz

Single-Sixer
It's going to be a carry piece so I want the manual safety... but only on one side. :)

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
websterz said:
It's going to be a carry piece so I want the manual safety... but only on one side. :)

I agree with this statement, however the Ruger SR thumb safety is positive and actually spring loaded to stay on or off. Additionally is is very low profile and is unlikely to be switched off by accident. If you rub your hand or clothing over the safety, it does not move due to low profile. VERY good design.

websterz

Single-Sixer
Yes, it is a good design. If it weren't for the right side lever hitting my knuckle I would leave it as is. It's just not compatible with my hand and the way I grip the pistol.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
websterz said:
Yes, but which side? If you are right handed the side you want is different from a left handed shooter. Ambidextrous safeties work for both type of shooters and the Ruger design is about as unobtrusive as it gets.