P345 for a RIA 10mm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bigtheno

Bearcat
Greetings all!

I recent got into the market for a 10mm pistol and was offered a straight trade. He said he would take my P345 for his Rock Island 1911 in 10mm. A few questions I wish to ask: In your opinion: Is that a fair trade? Anyone have experience with RIA 10mm? Overall thoughts?
I was considering a Glock 20 10mm, any additional thoughts?
Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

planetcat

Single-Sixer
I would check the going rates for both pistols used on gunbroker or other sale site and the availability of each pistol. I have a glock 29 and am a huge fan of the 10mm. I'd love to have one in a 1911 platform, like a delta elite, which are pretty much impossible to come by. I've heard mixed opinions on RI 1911's, but I think unless you are going to fully stress it out, it will go bang when you pull the trigger. I'd probably do it unless something was suspicious.

modrifle3

Buckeye
If it is the 10mm I am thinking of your friend is NOT getting the best end of the trade. If the RIA is new or looks new then it's a win for you. Nothing but great reviews on this pistol. And it will hold its value 10 times better than a used p series.

modrifle3

Buckeye
You can still get new delta elites if that is your desire but you will be at well over a $1000. RIA is the best 1911 deal in 10mm out there.

Fatdaddy

Single-Sixer
It'll be like buying a Dodge....you'll regret it in the morning.

I would consider it if not for the $100 and only if I could shoot it first.
The only "lemon" guns I've ever bought were the 1911 platform (3 out of 10).

sandman228

Single-Sixer
$$$ wise that's probably about right if your going by what they both cost new .as far as ria goes I cant speak for the 10 mm but ive owned 3 ria 1911's in 9mm, 38 super, and 45 acp and never had a day of trouble with any of them . there solid ,reliable , reasonably priced for a 1911 and they have good customer service if you need to order parts or repair work . me personally I would keep the p345 but that's just me I have no desire to own a 10mm.

bigtheno

Bearcat
I appreciate all the feedback. I bought the P345 many years ago & enjoyed it however, I purchased the SR45 I like it much better. I've been wanting a 10mm for some time and this seems like a good trade. Some of you said keep the P345 but why? Why should I keep it over the RIA? That wasn't a challenge but curiousity. Why is the P345 better to keep than the RIA?

Thank you all for opinions. They are giving me a lot to think about.

sandman228

Single-Sixer
not trashing ria there good guns, its your gun and your decision . I would be leaning towards the ruger simply for the fact its American made rather than an import .not to mention ammo I don't know if your a reloader or not but 45 acp ammo is much easier to find and cheaper than 10 mm . if you are a reloader then like the rest of us you probably pick up range brass when you see it . theres always plenty of 45 acp casings left behind at shooting ranges but in my years of reloading I think ive ran across maybe a half dozen 10mm cases . but again its your decision

Fatdaddy

Single-Sixer
Don't let anyone sway your decision, I'm just not a big 1911 fan and the "Made in the Plillipines" kind of kills it for me.
If a 10mm is something you're looking for and the 345 is feeling a little stale then go for it.
Most folks I know that have the RIA have no issues and love them.
If you reload you can cut your ammo costs in half but be prepared to have your feelings hurt when you lose a few pieces of brass here and there.

modrifle3

Buckeye
The issue is do you want a 10mm. It's expensive if you don't reload. Quality wise both guns are the same. Rugged and reliable. The 10mm RIA has a better resale if that is a concern. Also you can still find sub $400 p345s. It's just what you want but play it right and you can get a 10mm and then buy another p345. I doubt you will find anyone else willing to trade a 10mm 1911 for a p345. If it were me I would run with a $100 bill in your hand before he changes his mind.

bigtheno

Bearcat
I made the trade. Its a nice looking gun...a bit of a pain to disassemble but oh well. Barely feeling any recoil. I like it, just wish it held more rounds.

Thank you to everyone who gave advice. It was very helpful and guided my decision.

image_zps9f0294b9.jpg
[/url][/img]

image_zpsd52f8b8a.jpg
[/url][/img]

planetcat

Single-Sixer
Nice rig. I think you did good. There is a very wide range of power with the 10 mm loads and I'd bet its a pleasure to shoot on that platform. For factory loads, I shoot buffalo bore and underwood, which are somewhat hot. Hpr makes some nice 10 mm loads too. Enjoy.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
GP100man said:
Keep the P345.

Agree. One of the best pistols Ruger ever built.

10mm is fun if you hunt from a treestand with careful, rested shots; but gets excessively expensive if you practice enough to be competent for any other reason.

modrifle3

Buckeye
mohavesam said:
GP100man said:
Keep the P345.

Agree. One of the best pistols Ruger ever built.

10mm is fun if you hunt from a treestand with careful, rested shots; but gets excessively expensive if you practice enough to be competent for any other reason.

Its not bad if you reload.

I just picked up a last year like new P345 with 3 mags off gunbroker for $329. I am excited to get and even with tranfer I am only in it about $350. The third mag sweetens the deal . . . I will do a review and post once it arrives.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Not crazy about the grips on that 1911, but the gun will be fine. You made a great trade, even WITH the extra $100.

The P345 was plagued with problems from the day it was released. Probably one of the least reliable and problem prone guns Ruger ever produced. The best gun Ruger ever made in 45 was the P90, in 9mm ... The P95.

Good luck with your new RIA.

Don't believe me ? Google 'Ruger P345 click no bang' ....

REV