Ruger SR9E

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I just noticed Ruger introduced the SR9E. It looks like a SR9 with fixed sights, and pop-up loaded chamber indicator replaced by observation port for about $100.00 lower MSRP price point. Back to basics??
http://ruger.com/products/9E/index.html

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Sweet!! I do wish they would dispense with the rubber back strap insert though. I wonder if they will come out with a compact version? Can it be fitted with the standard SR9 adjustable rear sight? That is one of the best features of the SR series. Heck I would swap the fixed sight of the 9E with the adjustable one on my SR9c.

FergusonTO35 said:
Sweet!! I do wish they would dispense with the rubber back strap insert though. I wonder if they will come out with a compact version? Can it be fitted with the standard SR9 adjustable rear sight? That is one of the best features of the SR series. Heck I would swap the fixed sight of the 9E with the adjustable one on my SR9c.
That swap makes sense to me. Maybe they'll sell both interchangeably on all SR models. Would be nice.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I'm actually a bit surprised that they didn't make this new gun with the SR9c length barrel and slide and the SR9 frame just to differentiate it from those others in the line. A less expensive pistol in this era of our economy is probably a good selling point. No mag safety and ships with a single magazine, interesting. This gun will probably sell in the very low $300 to high $200's bracket

FergusonTO35

Hunter
After looking at the pics it seems that the dovetail on the 9E slide is too small for the standard adjustable sight. Still if its really just $300.00 I'll be very happy to get one as a house gun. The P95 was around $300.00 and sold like mad around here up until it was discontinued. Maybe the 9E will reclaim that spot from the S&W SD9.

PCnotPC

Bearcat
Cheesewhiz said:
No mag safety...

Where have you seen it specified that there is no magazine safety? Nothing I have read by Ruger states that. Either that or I am just blind. If they put this gun out without the magazine safety I would buy one in a minute!

HoosierBilly

Bearcat
PCnotPC said:
Cheesewhiz said:
No mag safety...

Where have you seen it specified that there is no magazine safety? Nothing I have read by Ruger states that. Either that or I am just blind. If they put this gun out without the magazine safety I would buy one in a minute!

If you read the section with the safety features and ambidextrous safety you'll notice it does not mention magazine safety at all. If it doesn't mention it then it doesn't have one. I just bought a new lc9 even though I dislike the magazine disconnect. Now this makes me want another handgun.

JEA1957

Bearcat
FergusonTO35 said:
After looking at the pics it seems that the dovetail on the 9E slide is too small for the standard adjustable sight. Still if its really just $300.00 I'll be very happy to get one as a house gun. The P95 was around $300.00 and sold like mad around here up until it was discontinued. Maybe the 9E will reclaim that spot from the S&W SD9.

I have been considering an SD9VE, but if this new 9E becomes available at around the same price point; I'll be adding another Ruger to my collection! :mrgreen:

Rei40c

Blackhawk
JEA1957 said:
FergusonTO35 said:

I have been considering an SD9VE, but if this new 9E becomes available at around the same price point; I'll be adding another Ruger to my collection! :mrgreen:

I'm very curious how the trigger will be if there is any difference at all. As long as it's the same, or is not worse I think they have a real winner here.

Pops 1

Single-Sixer
I was going to buy a SR9 to go with my SR9c but now will wait for this one. I do not see why the trigger would not be the same.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Not having an height adjustable sight is not really a bad thing per say, my accurate 9mm's and .45's have fixed sights but they are built to be very accurate. They do appear to be a Heinie or Novak compact cutouts for the rear but that would have to be measured for compatibility, those can be found at different heights if a person would want.

This gun being a low cost model and Ruger not caring about California anymore could really cut in on S&W's sales nationwide. I hope this gun sells.

Just an aside, I really wish the plastic fantastics just became low cost defensive pistols and not pretend to be something they could never be, a truly accurate well balanced centerfire handgun.

Mike J

Hunter
That looks like what the SR9 should have been to start with. Get rid of the lawyer junk & make a reliable gun that works well.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Mike J said:
That looks like what the SR9 should have been to start with. Get rid of the lawyer junk & make a reliable gun that works well.

Mike, I really don't blame Ruger, they just wanted to make guns that can be sold or transferred to any state in this country. Look at the nightmare S&W goes through, they have several versions of the same guns to placate both sides, the state government and the buying public. Neither approach is a great one, building and selling guns across this country must be a PITA.

Mike J

Hunter
I'm not slamming them Cheese. I just don't care for the lawyer features. Things seem to be getting more interesting lately though. I have been watching slickguns & it would appear that we are beginning to enter more of a buyers market than it has been in a long time.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Mike J said:
Right, and be unable to sell them in a lot of states. Ruger would be very happy with that.

In it's stock form the SR9/40 is reliable, it does work well and the mag safety can be removed in two minutes with nothing but a small punch to remove the striker cover.

VictorLouis

Single-Sixer
Read the pdf. of the owner's manual on the factory site. Actually, the insert which will go with a standard SR9 manual, apparently. Only difference is the slight, sights, barrel and striker cover. Hence, it would appear the mag dc is still there.

Latest posts